Pop?

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    jestog63 wrote: »
    Yeah baby!!! I got "8" disagrees, that's awesome! So for all you that disagreed Have a Coke and a Smile ... any flavor you want.

vanilla, cherry, diet, "0"......

Sorry, I'm from in between the "coke" and "soda" areas, and here its called pop, though soda and soft drinks are understood. I didn't realize that "coke" could also be a general term in use until I was older and read it somewhere.
    ....I am slowly learning to love the diet stuff. At first I couldn’t bear the taste of it, but it grows on you in small doses.

me too, but I still can't take regular diet of anything except Diet Dr. Pepper. I don't mind Coke 0 and will drink that on occasion, and Pepsi 0 isn't horrible (apparently, NC is pepsi country, or at least, the few folks I know from there are huge Pepsi fans. I was always more into Dr. Pepper lol)

Diet A&W isn't too bad either, when I a hankering for root beer, or perhaps a float - use low cal icecream and diet rootbeer and you get a pretty nice dessert without a ton of sugar or calories....

for the OP: I'm with those up top: as long as you don't replace what you were drinking in pop with other sugar laden drinks, and you don't increase your food intake to compensate, cutting out pop could help you and could be a good first, small step toward changing your eating habits. As others have said, when it comes down to it, weight loss is all about the deficit - you want to lose weight, you gotta eat less than you use.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I was a Pepper until I was 32 or 33 years old. I mean at least 32 oz a day and often more like 100 oz. When I quit soda I lost 20 pounds without doing anything else. It was a life-changer for sure. That was 18 years ago and now I can't drink more than half of any soda without feeling a little sick. The carbonation gets me, was I constantly burping for 30 years?
  • jestog63
    jestog63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I drink very very little coke, pop, soda or soft drinks these days. I live in Texas and most places it's sweet tea, which to me is too sweet so I always go with unsweet or have them bring me half sweet. Otherwise it's water, milk, beer, alcohol or even just soda water.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Sweet tea is another of those regional things. If I ordered "tea" or "iced tea," I'd assume that meant unsweetened, but I guess in some places you have to specify "unsweetened," which seems weird to me. I have been traveling to MS a bunch for work over the past couple of years, and I recall one of the first trips there we got lunch brought in and our hosts assured us they'd gotten unsweet tea since they knew that's how Yankees liked it.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I inadvertently conducted an experiment with myself and soda. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis.

During my first marriage, money was tight. He drank soda, and I drank soda, but if I was out I would happily drink hot or iced tea or water. So given that, if we had money for only one case of soda, then we bought his; a dollar box of tea bags would make me quite a lot of tea.

At that point, our washer quit, so we started taking the laundry to my mother's house just outside town and doing it while visiting with her and the son who lives with her to help her out. She asked, was there anything she could keep for me there? I said, yeah, a case of Diet Coke. I could drink it through the afternoon while doing four or five loads of laundry and that was easier than making tea at someone else's house.

We had a tight couple of months due to car repairs, and so I drank tea at home. When I went to my mother's for laundry, I had three or four sodas.

I began to make sure that when I planned Monday's meals that they were light; Sunday with my mother at her house just made me ACHE. It might be her chairs being wrong sized, it might be all the lifting and carrying I did in the process of doing the laundry, or it might be the change in food when we ate with her. No telling.

One week, however, I got there, and discovered my son had drunk all my soda. "I'll get you more!" he said. "Oh, that helps a lot right now!" I pointed out, and sighed and made a pot of tea. The following day I didn't hurt any worse than I usually do, and was happy about this, and went on with my day. The next weekend, yep, he'd replaced the sodas he drank. Following Monday was a normal Monday, which is to say, aching.

A few weeks later, it happened again. Again, I had tea at my mother's, and Monday when I woke up and felt decent, a light bulb went on. Maybe it was the soda! I cut out soda altogether at my mother's and at home, and felt rather better than I had. Much less pain and stiffness.

Your mileage may vary, but if you like me have chronic pain, it's worth a try. I won't drink it now. It doesn't even taste good any more.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    All that matters is you consume fewer calories than you burn. Cutting out calories from any kind of beverage is a great way for many people to help achieve that.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    BTW it's coke not soda or pop. They are all coke just different flavors like Dr Pepper, 7-up, mountain dew, orange and rootbeer LOL

Unless you are in South Boston where all fizzy drinks are "tonic".
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    BTW it's coke not soda or pop. They are all coke just different flavors like Dr Pepper, 7-up, mountain dew, orange and rootbeer LOL

I remember as a child that two cousins, one from the Great Lakes region of the Midwest, and one from a southern-bordering part of the Midwest, turned to me to settle an argument between "pop" (Great Lakes) and "sode-y" (more southern part of Midwest). I said that while we (southern part of Mid-Atlantic) did sometimes call it so-DUH, we mostly just called it coke, as in, "Do you want some coke? We have orange, ginger ale, and root beer." Oddly, living in the same region, I don't hear this much anymore, especially not from younger people. I think the influence of national media, combined with the increased likelihood of relocating from one's childhood location, has leached a lot of the colorful variations in regional speech right out of us.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

No, they are different things depending on your location.

Where I live they are called soft drinks - and then one specifies if one means a particular one- coke, pepsi, lemon squash etc
    (I use the term soda on MFP because I think it is more world wide recognisable - I dont use it in real life)

Soft drinks is understood in the US. It's what restaurants often use.

I grew up in and live in pop country, but I went to college in the enemy soda part of the country (kidding) and use both somewhat interchangeably. If I ordered diet coke and someone brought me diet pepsi, let alone Dr Pepper or a Diet Dew, that would not be okay!

oh thats interesting - I never see it referred to as soft drink by americans on this forum.

• paperpudding
    Options

Where I live they are called soft drinks - and then one specifies if one means a particular one- coke, pepsi, lemon squash etc
    (I use the term soda on MFP because I think it is more world wide recognisable - I dont use it in real life)

and I got 1 disagree for above.

Not sure what they are disagreeing with :* - it obviously is called different things in different places and it certainly is called soft drink in Australia and and I certainly do use the term soda on MFP and not in real life.

• lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I currently drink diet pop, but I did experience good results when I stopped drinking it previously.

It may be a mental thing, but I experienced less hunger when I stopped drinking pop. I also craved sweets less. I plan on cutting back on pop substantially once I finish the case I have at home currently. At the very least, drinking less pop is better for your teeth because you're not consuming as much acid.

Some studies do show that diet pop may mess with how your body metabolizes food since its expecting sugar but isn't actually receiving it. However, these studies aren't conclusive and there are other studies that say it doesn't matter at all. Current professional consensus is that diet pop is probably fine.

I've known plenty of people that drink diet pop and lose weight while doing so, so I'd say just do what works for you. If drinking diet pop helps you stick to your calories and makes you happier, go for it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

LOL No. I am offended by this comment :D
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a ton of regular dr pepper. Like a huge 32 oz from the gas station every day AT LEAST, plus more while I was working (at a restaurant, free soda) So what, at least 500 calories of soda a day??

I cut out all soda and dropped 15 pounds with no other effort lol. This was when I was around 21. I was also fairly active (worked in a restaurant).

So I suppose it depends how much you currently drink. Now weight loss takes a lot more effort because I don't drink regular soda, I only drink diet.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

I grew up in and live in pop country, but I went to college in the enemy soda part of the country (kidding) and use both somewhat interchangeably. If I ordered diet coke and someone brought me diet pepsi, let alone Dr Pepper or a Diet Dew, that would not be okay!

oh thats interesting - I never see it referred to as soft drink by americans on this forum.

In the US it would sound more formal/restaurant speak (kind of like "non-alcoholic beverages") so I would not use it in casual speech, but it doesn't sound weird to me, and I'd expect Americans to understand it for sure.
  • jestog63
    jestog63 Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Yeah baby!!! I got "8" disagrees, that's awesome! So for all you that disagreed Have a Coke and a Smile ... any flavor you want.

well, not surprising since your statement was factually wrong. ;)

Wow, you are incredible, my initial statement wasn't about facts. My comment was tongue in cheek basically about what things are called in different areas of the country and how where I live is right and you are wrong. Kind of like my favorite football team is awesome and yours suck, it's not true, it's all BS and in good fun, to bad you can't recognize that but thanks for playing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I remember as a child that two cousins, one from the Great Lakes region of the Midwest, and one from a southern-bordering part of the Midwest, turned to me to settle an argument between "pop" (Great Lakes) and "sode-y" (more southern part of Midwest). I said that while we (southern part of Mid-Atlantic) did sometimes call it so-DUH, we mostly just called it coke, as in, "Do you want some coke? We have orange, ginger ale, and root beer." Oddly, living in the same region, I don't hear this much anymore, especially not from younger people. I think the influence of national media, combined with the increased likelihood of relocating from one's childhood location, has leached a lot of the colorful variations in regional speech right out of us.

I grew up in central Wisconsin where we called it "pop". After college I got my first job 90 miles away in eastern Wisconsin where "soda" is preferred. Then there are the weirdos in Door County (the thumb that sticks out into Lake Michigan) who called it all "coke".
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    You know, if you are an Atlanta native, it’s actually called Co-cola. Or as my daughter used to say, Colala.
  • paperpudding
    Options

well, not surprising since your statement was factually wrong. ;)

Wow, you are incredible, my initial statement wasn't about facts. My comment was tongue in cheek basically about what things are called in different areas of the country and how where I live is right and you are wrong. Kind of like my favorite football team is awesome and yours suck, it's not true, it's all BS and in good fun, to bad you can't recognize that but thanks for playing.

And now you need to be sarcastic. :*

Clearly the other dozen people who disagreed didn't recognise that either.

Perhaps your post didn't come across the way you though it did. :*

• paperpudding
    Options

In the US it would sound more formal/restaurant speak (kind of like "non-alcoholic beverages") so I would not use it in casual speech, but it doesn't sound weird to me, and I'd expect Americans to understand it for sure.

Thanks for that.

Here 'soft drinks' is really the only generic term, unless one means a specific one, eg Coke, raspberry etc.