A hit to the confidence

Options
2»

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm not sure where you are size wise, but for me a really awkward time was the cusp of plus/misses. When I was in XL and 1X, pant size 14-16, I had really good luck at Macy's especially the clearance racks because I think a lot of ladies shopping plus sizes wear more on the larger side and there seemed to be tons of stuff in 1X and 14 for super discount.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    jeslz wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am in Australia and the plus size market here is only just starting to pick up. I went to the one ‘young and fat’ suitable store in the complex and got some pants but just couldn’t get the *right* outfit.

It didn’t help that I didn’t have time to shop online or get anywhere else to look (I live regionally and there’s absolutely no plus size shops in my town at all).

I’ve actually undergone weight loss surgery so I’m only just getting back into an exercise regime (it was delayed due to excessive bushfire smoke in my region which made it hazardous to exercise at times). I know I’m on my way, but those little setbacks can be so damaging sometimes. I think I’m a pretty tough person but this one almost broke me.

On the plus side (lol) I got through my super professional work development day with success even though I wasn’t 100% comfortable in what I looked like and that’s a good thing!

National Public Radio (NPR) here in the US has been covering the Australian fires a lot and I heard a piece Jan 9 about the mental health toll that the fires are taking on you all, as well as the physical toll :(

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510051/here-x26-now
  • MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    Great Job!!! I know how disheartening it can feel when shopping for clothes. If you are still looking for something in your current size that can make you feel good, try Torrid they are plus size but they carry really cute trendy clothes, I used to shop their a lot when I was still in a plus size. Even though I still had work to do, I found buying a new outfit that fit me really well and I felt good in, kept me motivated to working towards my goal.

There is definitely a part of me that hopes when I hit my goal I don't size myself out of Torrid; their stuff is so cute. My goal weight should put at about an 8/10 and I'm busty, so I'll still probably fit. But, we'll see.
  • Viktorija34
    Viktorija34 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    jeslz wrote: »
    So I’ve been losing weight since the start of October and I’m currently down 21kg. I know I am still big and still have a lot to lose, but I had a super important meeting with work today and went to buy some nice new work clothes on the weekend and it was so disheartening.

I thought it would be a little easier being 20kg down but it was like it barely made a difference. I couldn’t find nice pants like I wanted and shops didn’t have much in my size. I’m still just too big for regular stores and I don’t want to wear the grandma clothes that plus size ranges do.

I suppose it’s another motivator to lose more weight but it just sucks when you’re feeling good about yourself and something like that knocks you down.

You should be proud of yourself, 21kg is a big loss! You've done a great job. Don't worry about the shops, you will get there!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Where did you shop? And where are you located? I'm in the US.

Lane Bryant is geared towards a younger demographic https://www.lanebryant.com and last time I was there they had clothing suitable for work.

I've had good luck with work clothes at Kohl's Women's.

This is a good point. I'm in NC, and we have a store called Cato. It has many of the same things on their plus side as in the regular size.

Eta:. I just realized you are in Australia. I should have finished reading before posting :). My thoughts are with those of you dealing with the fires.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Is there a Maurices by you? I LOVE Maurices. They have a plus size section in the store. Its not specifically just for plus size people.

This is exactly what I came to say. Their sizes are pretty standard and now that I know what fits, I can buy online since I didn't leave near a store. Their clothes are great and you can wear them for basically whatever size you are.

Edit: Ugh sorry that you are in Australia and this suggestion doesn't work anymore. But yay for fitting into new jeans!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    imfornd70 wrote: »
    dont worry about the weight - throw the scale away - worry about you energy level - worry about how your clothes fit you - I have met many people skinny but unhealthy - its take time it take consistency it take patience - just keep on doing what you are doing and you will get there - dont look for a touchdown - just keep the ball moving forward - you'll get there

I understand what you're saying, but for people who start really big it doesn't apply. I started really big, first 20 kg barely made a difference in my shape or how my clothes fit. I could, maybe, feel clothes get a little bit roomier, but "the fit" didn't change until much later in my weight loss. The time clothes started kinda sorta fitting right was at the lower weights of class I obese (although that was also my ugly duckling stage where my proportions were funny due to fat coming off unevenly so clothes shopping was harder, but when something fit, it fit better).

Also throwing the scale away or not paying attention to it is not great for people who start morbidly obese. Weight gain can happen and you won't even notice it till much later, just like you don't notice loss till much later. A thin person may notice a 5 kg gain right away because it makes a big difference in their shape, but an obese person would not even go up a size with that gain.

OP keep at it. From experience, I promise you, there will be a big difference. Take photos, you'll be shocked.

Edit:

Think of it like toilet paper. When it's brand you, removing a few layers doesn't really show a big difference. Gradually, as you keep removing layers, it gets to a point where even removing one or two layers makes a difference in its size. You only have the best to look forward to, and you'll notice it more as you approach your goal weight.