Husband addicted to food

Options
I think my husband has a food addiction concerning fast food and eating out. He will eat out a minimum of 5 days a week sometimes twice a day. I try making him lunch and he seem to always “forget” it at home. I since then stopped making lunches but will refuse when he asks if we can go out for dinner. I want to help him to become healthier because he’s borderline diabetic and has high bad cholesterol and low good cholesterol. I have given advice such as low carb, downloading MFP, stopping sugar consumption, Whole Foods, or upping his fiber to feel more full. He does not eat fruits or vegetables so I don’t even know how he can even attempt a diet. Has anyone been in a similar situation and have success stories or advice to living a healthier life style?

Replies

• justanotherguy2020
    justanotherguy2020 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think my husband has a food addiction concerning fast food and eating out. He will eat out a minimum of 5 days a week sometimes twice a day. I try making him lunch and he seem to always “forget” it at home. I since then stopped making lunches but will refuse when he asks if we can go out for dinner. I want to help him to become healthier because he’s borderline diabetic and has high bad cholesterol and low good cholesterol. I have given advice such as low carb, downloading MFP, stopping sugar consumption, Whole Foods, or upping his fiber to feel more full. He does not eat fruits or vegetables so I don’t even know how he can even attempt a diet. Has anyone been in a similar situation and have success stories or advice to living a healthier life style?

Wow, you described my lifestyle perfectly. What does your husband do for a living...? What is his personality like? What are his hobbies?
  • angelaalihaimoud
    angelaalihaimoud Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't eat out much and takes my homemade food but he still insists on overindulging in sugary and high-fat foods. I always try to steer him to healthier alternatives but it is out of my control. I have taken to reducing fats via oils, meats, and dairy that I am using in my recipes in order to offset his indulgences. We were both recently informed our cholesterols were on the higher side so I'm educating myself to make minor adjustments to the way I cook while still making dishes we can both enjoy. The "healthy" craze isn't great for someone who isn't interested so I think it's important to stick to enjoyable food with adjustments in ingredients and perhaps increased physical activity.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    OP - you've gotta understand it from his perspective. He's thinking that he managed to land a wife without caring about fitness. So why should he start now?

You're going to have to use other levers of influence here.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Can you come at it from a financial standpoint? All that eating out must be expensive. Maybe he'd get more on board if the monetary savings would be saved for something pretty great, like a trip or something.

This is a good idea.

Or perhaps the reverse -- if he likes eating out and is skeptical about homecooked food and, especially, fruits and veg, why not suggest you take turns picking a restaurant out (maybe once a week or so) and you could choose places that do more of a farm to table style (which typically will have lots of vegetables, prepared well) or perhaps ethnic places with interesting ways to cook veg (like Ethiopian, although there are tons of possibilities). You could even order more veg-centered dishes and get him to try them. Often enthusiasm about other ways of eating can help make it seem fun rather than a loss.
  • angelaalihaimoud
    angelaalihaimoud Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I hate to ask this question but are you sure you can cook? I have known a few people who thought they were great cooks and they were subpar (to put it nicely).

Omg absolutely. It is so difficult. I've been married for 3 years and I have only a handful of recipes my husband genuinely likes because, needless to say, I'm not much of a cook. I'm fortunate he comes from a family and country that does not value eating out and he hence hates the concept. Tasty food is definitely a win in terms of diet.