How do you get over people not liking you?

Options

Replies

• LiftNRiot
    LiftNRiot Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    I have found that if animals like you then you are great and shouldn't care what other humans think.

This is my first post where I have a react for everything. I can't tell you how visually pleasing that is to me. Thanks mfp, you make my dreams come true.

xfo3vqn92cdm.gif
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    You dont get people to like you.....you learn how to like yourself and then you can be confident that those who like you are worth your time, and those that dont arent in line with you anyway and arent worth your time. Its about you, not them.

Exactly this. LIKE YOURSELF.
  • bz2018
    bz2018 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,311 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I think the OP posted the primary person in question is a family member...but it got lost in the (amusing) noise.

OP--just because you are related doesn't mean you are family. blood makes you related; love makes you family.

My relatives are terrible and abusive and I walked away a long time ago. I'm happier and healthier because of it. If they have a problem with you, it is their problem. Be the best you and be happy with yourself.

The B***hole Surfers had (one) thing right--you never know just how you look through other people's eyes. And would you want to? So disorienting. And unproductive.

edit: and now I'm lmao--I edited because it replaced B***hole (the actual letters, not ***) with *kitten*...MFP! IT IS THE NAME OF A BAND. NOT SWEARING!!! And to be fair, by all accounts, they are *kittens*.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    When you focus on why people don't like you, and you start changing yourself based on their expectations, you aren't being true to yourself. If someone gives you honest feedback about why they don't like you, evaluate that feedback and decide for yourself if that is something you want to work on. If you like that characteristic about yourself and someone else doesn't like it, then that's just a personality difference. Move on.

Realize that people are different and not everyone likes everyone else, and that's ok.

Work on improving yourself, for yourself. Whatever you like about yourself, keep it. Whatever you don't like about yourself, change it. When you are truly happy with yourself, it doesn't matter as much what other people think.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself, why does it matter? Why is that you want to know? For me personally, I don't out too much stock into what people think of me, because for the most part it doesn’t affect me. I have to live with myself for as long as I’m blessed to be here, so my opinion is #1. My close family and friends follow right behind. Everyone else is on a case to case business. Does it affect me that they don’t like me? If it does, I do what I can to fix the situation, if no, then I’m at peace with it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Unless them liking me BENEFITS me or my family, I don't care. There are other things in life to worry about that are much more important that trying to portray yourself as someone that everyone likes. You can be the kindest most unselfish person in the world and still have haters. That's just how humans are.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • emeraldeyes2020
    emeraldeyes2020 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    LiftNRiot wrote: »
    I think you should try harder to get them to like you. If it's a guy that doesnt like you, get all sexied up and flirt. If it's a girl, tell her how beautiful she looks. If it's an animal, bring it a treat. If that doesnt qork, lock them in your basement to teach them a lesson

Or this.

I must admit this is me 😏 I’m not trying harder to get them to like me, I’m just being patronising then I would lock them in the basement until they change their attitude.
  • Still_too_fat1970
    Still_too_fat1970 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Honestly,as I get older,being liked is less and less important.I used to "go along to get along".Not anymore.Once,I delayed ending a relationship because I worried I'd hurt her feelings;I was miserable for so long but continued.The relief and the happiness I felt after it was over convinced me to look after myself first.At work,I couldn't care less if I'm liked(for the most part I am..I think :p ) as long as I'm seen as competent that is all I care about.
  • phoenixrising5721
    phoenixrising5721 Posts: 2,252 Member
    Options
    I have 5 people in my life that hate me. I truly dont care about it. Oh well. Sometime you just have to chuck it in the fuc k it bucket and move on.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    You dont get people to like you.....you learn how to like yourself and then you can be confident that those who like you are worth your time, and those that dont arent in line with you anyway and arent worth your time. Its about you, not them.

Exactly this. LIKE YOURSELF.

Hey disagree-er...we shouldn't like ourselves? Just wondering where you're coming from with that click of a button? I really don't care, just curious is all.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options

Spot on. Absolutely, spot on.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    How many of you have actually heard from people you knew in high school or college and I'm not talking through social media. How many can say that you've never heard from those people ever again and it didn't affect your life one way or the other.

In our small corners of the world we have a few really good friends. Some may be your family members.
    @bojack5 I like your take on it.
  • Viktorija34
    Viktorija34 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I take it too personally, have an intense desire to know why people don't like me and most of the time can't work out why someone doesn't like me. It results in me not liking me.

Yes, me, me, me. I saw it too lol.

Ignore them and don't let it affect you. Its not worth even stressing about it.
  • Viktorija34
    Viktorija34 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest:

511vJPN7p5L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This sounds like a good book!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time people not liking me did bother me. Nowadays, I approach it with a two word view..."their loss".