Egg as absolute primary source of protein

Options
I usually eat 2-4 whole eggs a day and around 15 egg white, most of my days at-least 3-4 days a week i solely depend on eggs as primary source, I just want to know if its Okay, I try to keep limit of 20 eggs per day white/whole just in case if its a overdoing. Would like to know if there is anything that i should be worried in long run, i am sure there are vegetarians who depends on egg to build muscle, let me know your views. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    I think you're likely to be missing a lot of amino acids with that limited a diet.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    It depends how you are managing the rest of your diet. Meat has iron and other vital nutrients.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    li'l ol' lady vegetarian.
    I'm just glad you're not a PAV8888arian!
    If you're vegetarian, you can get substantial amounts of protein on reduced calories; it just takes a little more thought.
    Agreed!
    If you're not vegetarian, there are more calorie-efficient sources of protein than eggs or even egg whites.
    :astonished:
    :grey_question:
    Other than say some relatively very fat free fish, what comes close to egg whites in terms of protein for calories?
    I am seeing 52 Cal per 100g with 10.9g being from protein...
    https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/172183/nutrients
    And as far as I am aware... the egg white protein contains all essential amino acids (complete).

No comment; however, in terms of it being the only source, or even the overwhelming majority protein source.

I use eggs and egg whites but they are neither my only nor my primary not even my close second protein source! :smiley:

Now I'm curious too!

"Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted" / https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/171477/nutrients has more protein but more calories:

100 g, 165 cal, 31 protein
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    If you're vegetarian, you can get substantial amounts of protein on reduced calories; it just takes a little more thought.
    Agreed!
    If you're not vegetarian, there are more calorie-efficient sources of protein than eggs or even egg whites.
    Other than say some relatively very fat free fish, what comes close to egg whites in terms of protein for calories?
    I am seeing 52 Cal per 100g with 10.9g being from protein...
    And as far as I am aware... the egg white protein contains all essential amino acids (complete).

No comment; however, in terms of it being the only source, or even the overwhelming majority protein source.

I use eggs and egg whites but they are neither my only nor my primary not even my close second protein source! :smiley:

I don't think OP would agree that Kirkland Super Chocolate protein bars count! LOL :p
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,774 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    No no silly, the Kirkland are European chocolate covered cookies!

We are talking egg white proteins!

(Used to make a nice mug cake with unsweetened cocoa, apple sauce, egg whites, baking powder)

Mind you, the RX bars I've been eating lately to round out the cookies do claim to have most of their protein from egg whites ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    All the vegetarians I know have many sources of protein.

@AnnPT77 I thought you'd like to weigh in here.

Heh. Yup, I'm a yappy (type-y? ;) ) li'l ol' lady vegetarian.

Monodiets - eating big lots of or mostly one thing - are usually a bad plan. Sure, protein matters, but (as others have observed), so does getting a reasonable distribution of essential amino acids (egg whites should be decent in EAAs), not to mention other nutrients.

I think the larger issue is whether you're getting enough healthy fats (eggs are not a great source, and egg whites not at all), fiber (none in eggs), and micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, other beneficial phytochemicals, etc. - eggs have some good stuff, but they lack a full range (even less in whites vs. whole egg)).

I'm a vegetarian, in fact an ovo-lacto vegetarian (means one who eats eggs and dairy). I'm not fearful of eggs in any respect (calories, cholesterol, whatever). I still don't eat very many of them, because I think a well-rounded diet is the best route to good nutrition. So, I eat some dairy, and quite a range of plant protein sources.

Overall, OP, I think you'd be better off varying your protein sources, and making sure you get all essential nutrition from your overall way of eating, within proper calories. If you're vegetarian, you can get substantial amounts of protein on reduced calories; it just takes a little more thought. If you're not vegetarian, there are more calorie-efficient sources of protein than eggs or even egg whites.

You need more than protein to build muscle, though that's the largest single factor. Your body needs those other things (fats, fiber, micronutrients, and even calories) to get the most out of your protein intake. A balanced diet is the most effective strategy, IMO (and that of credentialed dietitians everywhere, BTW).

My advice would be to consult this thread for other good protein sources, and vary your diet in other ways to get complete nutrition, not just protein, not just egg protein:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Best wishes for much success! :)

RIGHT!!! You intimidate me enough that I would give you my milk money! :o

I'm just a sweet li'l ol' granny type lady, y'know? Don't want your milk money. Buy me a beer if me in your neighborhood or you in mine, K? (It would be so fun!)
    Agreed!
    I am seeing 52 Cal per 100g with 10.9g being protein..

Why you toss out fish?!? Tuna is one, and super easy/affordable/available!

Read the f'n spreadsheet, eh? Egg whites are high, for sure, but not highest. I did say egg whites are good on EAAs - i.e., complete. If spreadsheet's wrong, engage Andreas, not Ann. ;)

And - personal prejudice, not science, follows - egg whites are not an evolution-tested whole food. I personally want those most. Others are entitled to differ.

Please talk OP out of near mono-diet as first priority here, yes!?!?

Requoting:

:lol:

Lummesome PAV! :lol::lol::lol:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,774 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    pfffft.... you expect me to CLICK on a LINK!?!?!?! :astonished: That's like... WORK! I'm sure I've already saved that spreadsheet somewhere.... somewhere.... somewhere.... is it Omega 3's that improve memory?!?!?! :lol:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    pfffft.... you expect me to CLICK on a LINK!?!?!?! :astonished: That's like... WORK! I'm sure I've already saved that spreadsheet somewhere.... somewhere.... somewhere.... is it Omega 3's that improve memory?!?!?! :lol:

Yup, among others: Hugs, sweetie. . . .

Oh baybeeeez: The decline! So sad!

Lub ya, triplezzz! Quadruplezz!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Hugzya! ;)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    I think you're likely to be missing a lot of amino acids with that limited a diet.

Given that eggs are about as close as you can to a "complete" protein (better than chicken, beef, or other animal meat), that would not be correct.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    All the vegetarians I know have many sources of protein.

@AnnPT77 I thought you'd like to weigh in here.

Heh. Yup, I'm a yappy (type-y? ;) ) li'l ol' lady vegetarian.

Monodiets - eating big lots of or mostly one thing - are usually a bad plan. Sure, protein matters, but (as others have observed), so does getting a reasonable distribution of essential amino acids (egg whites should be decent in EAAs), not to mention other nutrients.

I think the larger issue is whether you're getting enough healthy fats (eggs are not a great source, and egg whites not at all), fiber (none in eggs), and micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, other beneficial phytochemicals, etc. - eggs have some good stuff, but they lack a full range (even less in whites vs. whole egg)).

I'm a vegetarian, in fact an ovo-lacto vegetarian (means one who eats eggs and dairy). I'm not fearful of eggs in any respect (calories, cholesterol, whatever). I still don't eat very many of them, because I think a well-rounded diet is the best route to good nutrition. So, I eat some dairy, and quite a range of plant protein sources.

Overall, OP, I think you'd be better off varying your protein sources, and making sure you get all essential nutrition from your overall way of eating, within proper calories. If you're vegetarian, you can get substantial amounts of protein on reduced calories; it just takes a little more thought. If you're not vegetarian, there are more calorie-efficient sources of protein than eggs or even egg whites.

You need more than protein to build muscle, though that's the largest single factor. Your body needs those other things (fats, fiber, micronutrients, and even calories) to get the most out of your protein intake. A balanced diet is the most effective strategy, IMO (and that of credentialed dietitians everywhere, BTW).

My advice would be to consult this thread for other good protein sources, and vary your diet in other ways to get complete nutrition, not just protein, not just egg protein:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Best wishes for much success! :)

RIGHT!!! You intimidate me enough that I would give you my milk money! :o

I'm just a sweet li'l ol' granny type lady, y'know? Don't want your milk money. Buy me a beer if me in your neighborhood or you in mine, K? (It would be so fun!)
    Agreed!
    I am seeing 52 Cal per 100g with 10.9g being protein..

Why you toss out fish?!? Tuna is one, and super easy/affordable/available!

Read the f'n spreadsheet, eh? Egg whites are high, for sure, but not highest. I did say egg whites are good on EAAs - i.e., complete. If spreadsheet's wrong, engage Andreas, not Ann. ;)

And - personal prejudice, not science, follows - egg whites are not an evolution-tested whole food. I personally want those most. Others are entitled to differ.

Please talk OP out of near mono-diet as first priority here, yes!?!?

Requoting:

:lol:

Lummesome PAV! :lol::lol::lol:

Ill make you a beer ma'am.... I used to brew... ;)
  • JagaSrik
    JagaSrik Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for information guys, I just want to be clear, I do eat chicken, mutton, fish but im strictly vegetarian on 2 days a week (cultural reasons and i dont even eat eggs here) and if there is some special days im veg on those days too, due to some complication rest of the days in a week i cant cook chicken/any meat (not every week but some weeks) on those days i relay on eggs primarily, I do eat lentils pulses, dairy based cottage cheese, tofu to make up to my macro bit of mix and match, its difficult to hit the macro where i can practically eat and well digest it later without meat, so i am relaying on egg whites here mostly i eat around 15 egg whites and 2 whole eggs(have plan to increase further more till 18 egg whites and 3 whole eggs), its like roughly 72g of protein straight from just egg rest i will get it from whole other foods, my macro target is just 150g protine, on days where i can eat meat, not a problem at all easily i hit my targets! :)