Women Who Lift

14567810»

Replies

• Hi
    I’ve been lifting properly for 3 years and am thinking about bulking. . I’ve asked this question on another thread but it’s a bit niche so had no replies.

I read somewhere, possibly in one of Lyle McDonald’s website pages that bulking and cutting may be more problematic for women who are menopausal. I can’t find the article. Anyways I was wondering if anyone who is in their forties, fifties and older has done bulk/cut cycles and if so were you pleased with the results?. I think the issue was that fat gain was likely to be round the middle when bulking because of oestrogen drops around menopause. I may have misremembered though. The suggestion was that women of this age are predisposed to retain fat around the middle and it became harder and harder to lose it after bulk/ cut cycles.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Don’t have anything definite but, when I posed the question here 3-4 years ago, I was advised it may not be my best option.

I was somewhere around 60 at the time so way past menopause.

The reason was, I believe, similar to what you have said- greater propensity for fat gain outweighing muscle gain.

I’ve always held my fat in my midsection, even when relatively light and well trained, so the thought of increasing that is a bit off putting.

It may have been @psuLemon (sorry if it wasn’t you, but you can give good feedback on this on anyway I suspect) who gave the advice, and there is a good chance part of the reply was based on Lyle’s published research.

That being said, I have been sat ruminating a mini bulk this past week.
    Been off lifting, holidays and flu, and dropped 4-5 lbs that I need to gain back, fast-ish (probably 3lbs water weight), so thinking of a 4-6 month mini 10lbs bulk trial. It will be abandoned if my belly fat gains are looking greater than my strength/muscle progression gains.

Let’s face it, at my age, my lifting is for lifestyle maintenance more than moving great weights, or adding great amounts of muscle, but I wouldn’t mind a bit more muscle.

I’ve been recomping for years. The first ~6m one could definitely see the changes, now- I need a magnifying glass.

You could give it a go, if you feel your fat gain is outweighing perceived gains, abandon the bulk, mini cut, and go back to recomp.
    (Just something I think I should have done in hindsight)

Cheers, h.

• Don’t have anything definite but, when I posed the question here 3-4 years ago, I was advised it may not be my best option.

The reason was, I believe, similar to what you have said- greater propensity for fat gain outweighing muscle gain.

I’ve always held my fat in my midsection, even when relatively light and well trained, so the thought of increasing that is a bit off putting.

It may have been @psuLemon (sorry if it wasn’t you, but you can give good feedback on this on anyway I suspect) who gave the advice, and there is a good chance part of the reply was based on Lyle’s published research.

Been off lifting, holidays and flu, and dropped 4-5 lbs that I need to gain back, fast-ish (probably 3lbs water weight), so thinking of a 4-6 month mini 10lbs bulk trial. It will be abandoned if my belly fat gains are looking greater than my strength/muscle progression gains.

Let’s face it, at my age, my lifting is for lifestyle maintenance more than moving great weights, or adding great amounts of muscle, but I wouldn’t mind a bit more muscle.

I’ve been recomping for years. The first ~6m one could definitely see the changes, now- I need a magnifying glass.

You could give it a go, if you feel your fat gain is outweighing perceived gains, abandon the bulk, mini cut, and go back to recomp.

Cheers, h.

Thanks. I’m 46 and still having periods but I’m probably menopausal. The nhs in the uk won’t just run tests to establish hormone levels unless you are also ill and I’m not. But I suspect I’m perimenopauaal.

I’m still carrying a fair amount of fat round the belly at a bmi of 20. I think I need to drop another 5 pounds or so and see if I then feel lean enough to bulk. I’m very lean in my top half. I don’t think I’ll look good with my current muscle level. I’m just finding my 3 year recomp progress which was slow anyway, has ground to a halt.

I’d be interested to know how you get on.

I have seen some great looking amateur body builders in their fifties and sixties so it is possible. But probably harder. And I’m not that serious to compete but it is a semi serious hobby for me.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Why not just recomp? I'm 42 and not comfortable with bulking, but I have gained 2-3lbs super slowly. I tend to maintain around 117-119 the last few years compared to 112-114 about 5yrs ago. I lift heavier too. When it's super slow and paired with a good program, it seems less likely to gain that stubborn fat that won't budge.
  • Why not just recomp? I'm 42 and not comfortable with bulking, but I have gained 2-3lbs super slowly. I tend to maintain around 117-119 the last few years compared to 112-114 about 5yrs ago. I lift heavier too. When it's super slow and paired with a good program, it seems less likely to gain that stubborn fat that won't budge.

I’ve been recomping for 3 years and am not seeing a lot of progress recently.
  • sardelsa wrote: »
    Don’t have anything definite but, when I posed the question here 3-4 years ago, I was advised it may not be my best option.

Cheers, h.

Thanks. I’m 46 and still having periods but I’m probably menopausal. The nhs in the uk won’t just run tests to establish hormone levels unless you are also ill and I’m not. But I suspect I’m perimenopauaal.

I’m still carrying a fair amount of fat round the belly at a bmi of 20. I think I need to drop another 5 pounds or so and see if I then feel lean enough to bulk. I’m very lean in my top half. I don’t think I’ll look good with my current muscle level. I’m just finding my 3 year recomp progress which was slow anyway, has ground to a halt.

I’d be interested to know how you get on.

I have seen some great looking amateur body builders in their fifties and sixties so it is possible. But probably harder. And I’m not that serious to compete but it is a semi serious hobby for me.

There was a user on here @RoxieDawn who was I believe in her late 40s/early 50s running bulk/cut cycles with great success. She started this thread on the topic. It might be helpful so worth a look

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10670914/women-50-building-muscle-cutting/p1

Thank you I’m gonna check it out.
  • 43Ninebark
    43Ninebark Posts: 41 Member
    Hello! I could use some advice.

I want to lose like 10 lbs but I also want to gain muscle. I'm doing about 1200-1300 calories a day, and allowed a week for my gluttonous stomach to shrink 😆 before beginning weight training again last week.

Is that sufficient calories? I'm taking shakes to ensure I'm getting enough protein. I'm scared to eat too much or too little. I don't want to look bulky, just want to be healthy and strong.

I'm 5'5, 29 yrs, 145 lbs. Not sure about my fat. In the past, I just focused on calories and protein with more cardio than strength (but not too seriously) and that worked. This year I want to be my best & take it more seriously.

Thanks!
  • I’m a high school athlete. I did powerlifting 2 years ago but I have a few of medical conditions so I was hospitalized for a bit. Even after I got out of the hospital I didn’t lift but now fitness is a huge part of my life so I’m getting back into it. Sense I got into it I’ve gained 10lb’s.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    43Ninebark wrote: »
    Hello! I could use some advice.

I want to lose like 10 lbs but I also want to gain muscle. I'm doing about 1200-1300 calories a day, and allowed a week for my gluttonous stomach to shrink 😆 before beginning weight training again last week.

Is that sufficient calories? I'm taking shakes to ensure I'm getting enough protein. I'm scared to eat too much or too little. I don't want to look bulky, just want to be healthy and strong.

I'm 5'5, 29 yrs, 145 lbs. Not sure about my fat. In the past, I just focused on calories and protein with more cardio than strength (but not too seriously) and that worked. This year I want to be my best & take it more seriously.

Thanks!

Hi there! I think your cals might be a bit low. I'm 5'6" 145-150lbs and can lose at 1625 cals. I weight lift 3x a week and run 2-3x a week (training for 5k, so nothing super crazy). You might want to check out IIFYM Women. They have a FB group and in the pictures there is a "cupcake" chart. It walks you step by step into calculating your macros/calories.

You might want to check out Thinner Leaner Stronger by Mike Matthews. It is the lifting program I follow, however his book outlines the science behind the nutrition and workouts (I disagree with his macros however). You will not get bulky. It takes eating in a surplus and years and years of serious training for women to get bulky.