The Diamond Challenge (DITR) Round 5 Week 2

Options

Replies

• mrscampbe11
    mrscampbe11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do you think you'd want to lose weight if we lived in a society where obesity was generally considered more attractive than being fit?

I wouldn't be too worried actually. I'd still want to be fit for playing sports, but if I could be fit and fat and that was what was 'normal' I'd go for it. (I guess it would be like living when Rubens was the artist du jour.)
    I don't think we'll ever live to find out though, seeing as a healthy person should be biologically more attractive for breeding purposes! :blushing:
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    8/30/11
    QOTD- Have you set up a mini-goals and rewards system for yourself? If so, what are those goals and rewards?

When I get to goal weight I'm getting a tattoo

8/31/11
    Do you think you'd want to lose weight if we lived in a society where obesity was generally considered more attractive than being fit?

I think I still would.
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a doozy!! I think society does have a large impact on peoples reasons for weight loss. However the bigger picture is health. For me I would still want to lose the weight because I want to be healthy.:smile:
  • onehecticmom
    onehecticmom Posts: 299 Member
    Options

This is a tough one. Part of me says no, I enjoy food too much. But the other part of me says I would still want to be healthy. I have kidney disease which grows cysts all throughout. My kidneys are almost 3 times their normal size now (normal size being a fist) That is my main reason for losing the weight. I want to not look & feel pregnant all the time. I know I can't control my kidney size, but I can control the rest of me. When I was bigger, I had a hard time eating. I had heartburn & indigestion issues constantly. I even had trouble breathing at times, if I had a big meal or something. There just wasn't enough space in there. I had surgery to try to try to remove some of the cysts, which helped a bit, but it was starting to get bad again before I started MFP.
    Almost 25 pounds down & I feel great. Now that I know I can control my pain, I find it hard to imagine allowing myself to get big again. I want to get rid of as much extra as I can, so that as my kidneys continue to grow I can continue to feel good.

If it was just a social thing, then no, I would just do the easy, and tasty thing. But as my health is not a social issue, then yes, I would still try to lose weight.
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Honestly, would we know, at that point, that it is healthier to be thinner? Society knows now because thin people are healthier, fat people aren't. If everyone (mostly) were heavy, would they know the health benefits of losing weight? Would anyone even do a study to find out what health benefits may be? I don't think they would, because they'd want everyone to be the societal norm...
  • christinad95
    Options
    I just want to take a moment to say: I AM SO DANG PROUD OF MYSELF!!!! I set a goal to get in at least 180 minutes of exercise this week and I met that goal........YESTERDAY!!!!!! So I still have today, tomorrow and Saturday to exercise ( I take Sundays off). I've been doing an hour a day so with that in mind I think I may double the goal I set for myself and I didn't even realize it until I was reviewing my logs today!!! That's so dang cool.:happy:
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I just want to take a moment to say: I AM SO DANG PROUD OF MYSELF!!!! I set a goal to get in at least 180 minutes of exercise this week and I met that goal........YESTERDAY!!!!!! So I still have today, tomorrow and Saturday to exercise ( I take Sundays off). I've been doing an hour a day so with that in mind I think I may double the goal I set for myself and I didn't even realize it until I was reviewing my logs today!!! That's so dang cool.:happy:

great job!
  • christinad95
    Options

great job!

Thanks!!:happy:
  • christinad95
    Options

great job!

Thanks!!:happy:
  • dc_amaryllis
    dc_amaryllis Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Way to go. It must feel so nice to have all those minutes out of the way already. Your exercises for the next couple of days will be a bonus! Woohoo!

QOTD: I honestly would probably take the easy way out and let myself be chubby and fit in with society. However, if my health was being compromised, I would change my lifestyle in order to live a longer life. This question got me thinking for sure. :)
  • Starleng1
    Options
    8/31/11

This is tough because you always want to feel included in society. I would still want to lose weight because I just generally feel bad and yucky in my skin when I was heavier.
  • Starleng1
    Options

That's Awesome!!!! You go girl.
  • kris24824
    kris24824 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    QOTD (8/31): Do you think you'd want to lose weight if we lived in a society where obesity was generally considered more attractive than being fit?

Its kinda funny, because my ideal goal weight is 197, which would still male "obese". But my current weight is just going to kill me sooner. Ideally, I just want to be active, be able to participate in sports and keep up with my husband. The ultimate weight doesn't matter. I want to feel comfortable in my skin and not be a plus size. So I guess the answer is yes and no?

(FWIW: 197 is my goal weight because in my adult life I've never been below 215 and it would also mean that I would have lost 160 lbs total.)
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    I love a challenge! lol I keep missing the QOTD threads and just seen the water per day challenge - any suggestions on how I can find these with less trouble? The water challenge is a great one! All I drink is water and my 1-2 cups of milk (sometimes).
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    QOTD- Have you set up a mini-goals and rewards system for yourself? If so, what are those goals and rewards?

When I reach my final goal I will get a hot new bikini!!

QOTD (8/31): Do you think you'd want to lose weight if we lived in a society where obesity was generally considered more attractive than being fit?

I would not want to lose weight if it was considered more attractive!!!!
  • o0IrishEyes0o
    o0IrishEyes0o Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Today is my QOTD and I'm just squeaking in! Sorry its so late but Thursdays are a late day for me (and I don't have internet at work!!)

SO. Here it is... a FUN one!

QOTD 9/1/2011: What is the worst thing you ever did as a child?

Me? Well when I was about 6 or 7 we were visiting a family friend. My brother and I were playing quite nicely in the den, where the man of the house, a sport fisherman, had a huge swordfish mounted to the wall. My brother took a toy that I wanted and I was quite annoyed with him. Seeing the giant swordfish, and having just seen a movie called Flipper (think Lassie but with a cute dolphin) I told my brother that the man of the house had killed flipper and mounted him to his wall because Flipper made him mad, lol. He was HYSTERICAL!!!
  • lustris
    lustris Posts: 152
    Options
    Hey ladies! Today is my QOTD and I'm just squeaking in! Sorry its so late but Thursdays are a late day for me (and I don't have internet at work!!)

SO. Here it is... a FUN one!

Me? Well when I was about 6 or 7 we were visiting a family friend. My brother and I were playing quite nicely in the den, where the man of the house, a sport fisherman, had a huge swordfish mounted to the wall. My brother took a toy that I wanted and I was quite annoyed with him. Seeing the giant swordfish, and having just seen a movie called Flipper (think Lassie but with a cute dolphin) I told my brother that the man of the house had killed flipper and mounted him to his wall because Flipper made him mad, lol. He was HYSTERICAL!!!

Love this question Lisa Marie!!! When I was about 6 and in Grade 1, I remember some Grade 2'ers inviting me to be part of their band. I remember we spent a whole recess sitting outside talking about all our great band ideas (none of us played an instrument of course!). I was in the state of mind though that to be in a band you HAD to look the part! Do any of you remember the band New Kids On The Block? Well they were big back then, and there is this one guy from the band who had (what I thought was) the coolest haircut!! Donny had what I know now as a rats tail, a long thin pony tail like thing coming from the back of his head with everything else cut short. I went home and started to cut my own hair, I did it over the firewood box we had in the garage because I figured if I hid the evidence my parents would have no way of finding out I had cut my own hair (didn't think that through, now did I?!). Anyway, the haircut failed...I ended up with choppy short hair and a couple strands of long hair coming from the side of my head just above my ear. It was a disaster and apparently so much so that the stylist could not fix it. My mother still has that Grade 1 class picture, and these words just do not do it justice.
  • lustris
    lustris Posts: 152
    Options
    We have a new Diamond ladies!! Please welcome sistermooooon who will be joining the Blue Team! Go Blue!!

Sistermooooon is a returning Diamond, and actually our biggest loser for the whole Round 4 challenge!! I am so happy she is back with us, but watch out ladies...she is stiff competition!!!
  • Karmiene
    Karmiene Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I accidently set fire to a field by our house and blamed the kid up the street. To make it even worse, I got kudos for saving my younger sister's life. I came clean in my late 20's but it was obviously too late. I still feel guilty.
  • mrscampbe11
    mrscampbe11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The worst thing I ever did as a child? How long have you got?! :blushing:
    Possibly top of the list would be shoplifting on school camp in grade 6 (so 11 years old) - I did it to try to impress the girl, she was doing it for attention because her brother was quite sick. My parents totally blamed her for leading me astray, and to this day (eo years later) she's still a bit of an awkward subject if ever mentioned. Now let's never speak of this again...