Help needed

Options
I started watching my daily intake of food and reduced cals to 1500 a day from god know how many , I go to gym 3/4 times a week so in total 4 hrs I do cardio /weights and no Wright loss at all , don’t know if I need to cut calories moe any help would be fab

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    How long has it been since you reduced calorie intake?

Is the exercise new? Any increase in exercise (type, duration, or intensity) often causes temporary fluid retention (for muscle repair), and can easily mask fat loss.

Where are you in your monthly cycle? Many women retain up to several lbs of fluid with the hormonal fluctuations at TOM and/or ovulation, which again can easily mask fat loss.

If you used MFP to set your calorie allowance, there's no reason to think you need to reduce it further, unless there are issues with your logging (underestimating portion sizes if you're not using a scale to weigh your food is often the culprit here, or not logging absolutely everything with calories).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • francheska175
    francheska175 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi started 3 weeks ago doing both , using fittness oak to do cals , I know I’ve lost fat and turn it to muscle using machine at the gym would just like the lbs to come off as doctor wants me to get my bum down
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no way you have 'turned fat into muscle'. That is physically impossible. You can lose fat and gain muscle, however, it takes a long time for women to do this, and a lot of hard work. If you aren't used to exercising, muscles do hold onto water so this might explain the lack of weight loss. Persevere - sometimes it can take a while to get going!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking your food? Do you weigh everything on a digital scale for accuracy?
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    3 weeks really isn’t a long time to see results dependant on yr start weight, age, goals ect. My weight fluctuates constantly. Browse forums and learn as much as you can at being consistent and logging foods correctly and going slowly and surely. Persevere, it’s only 3 weeks, it took me over 3 months to settle in and begin to feel comfortable in logging. I’ve been here 3 years now and very very slowly lost weight (which is the way I wanted it). My weekly weight loss aim was low so I had more calories to eat, but here I am 24kg lighter. I can’t see your diary so I’m not quite sure what you’re logging but You got this
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Here is an article to read about why you cannot expect linear results on the bathroom scale:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

I made a batch of Miso Mushroom soup and after eating only 1 pint of it I have jumped up nearly 5 pounds on the scale. Until this subsides I will not be able to see fat loss on the scale. However I know if I log accurately (personally verify calories are correct and use a food scale) and remain in a deficit I will eventually see a new low weight.

If you are not using a food scale and/or you are not making sure that the food entries you use have the correct calories you should consider it. You cannot rely on green checks or scanned barcodes either. There is much wrong in the MFP database. You also cannot accurately measure solid items in measuring cups. They are for liquids.