Stuck, not losing much. Help 😭

2»

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    LiftNRiot wrote: »
    SMH. So much misinformation out there. Please go find somewhere that gives you the correct info instead of relying on random people to comment.
    SMH. So much misinformation out there. Please go find somewhere that gives you the correct info instead of relying on random people to comment.

so much this.....

Neither of you are experts and everyone is trying to offer support. I dont think anyone gave bad advice and this place is a good place to get advice.

Never claimed to be an expert but there is some bad advice on this thread...

Want to lose weight? - Create a deficit
    Not losing weight? - You aren't creating at a deficit/haven't given it enough time (weigh loss isn't linear)

Simple but not easy - hence why most of us (including me) are here

Actually its not always this easy. It isn't always just CICO. Hormones, training, diet, lifestyle, gut biome, medications, sleep...all of these affect weight.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    cathipa wrote: »

so much this.....

Neither of you are experts and everyone is trying to offer support. I dont think anyone gave bad advice and this place is a good place to get advice.

Not losing weight? - You aren't creating at a deficit/haven't given it enough time (weigh loss isn't linear)

Actually its not always this easy. It isn't always just CICO. Hormones, training, diet, lifestyle, gut biome, medications, sleep...all of these affect weight.

We can agree to disagree on this
  • buddy352
    buddy352 Posts: 36 Member
    Looking for some MFP advice. Does the app automatically adjust your calorie level for after you have lost or do we have to change it? I have lost 45lbs and I'm thinking my calories in MUST be lower? Wondering how that works. Anyone?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    buddy352 wrote: »
    Looking for some MFP advice. Does the app automatically adjust your calorie level for after you have lost or do we have to change it? I have lost 45lbs and I'm thinking my calories in MUST be lower? Wondering how that works. Anyone?

For me it doesn't update automatically. I have to confirm my activity level and weight loss rate in the settings regularly to update my calorie goal to my lower weight.
  • shevydt
    shevydt Posts: 11 Member
    Same here @buddy352 I’ve just gone through the guided setup every now and again throughout the journey to adjust but the lowest you’ll be able to go is 1200 as anything less than that isn’t healthy.
  • cathipa

so much this.....

And if your theory is true then weight loss would be linear.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

so much this.....

For the average person who is stuck and not losing weight, what is going to be more impactful? Ensuring they're consistently in a calorie deficit or worrying about their gut biome?
  • cathipa
    edited January 2020

so much this.....

For the average person who is stuck and not losing weight, what is going to be more impactful? Ensuring they're consistently in a calorie deficit or worrying about their gut biome?

So if we are taking fat loss then calorie deficit rules, however weight loss (as measured on a scale) is impacted by more than just CICO. That was my point. Scale changes are more than just fat. The OP has also been on a calorie restriction since 8/2019 so the lack of change could be metabolic and she may need a diet break.

So are you saying if they are "stuck" should they go below 1200 (if they are truly at 1200)?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Same here @buddy352 I’ve just gone through the guided setup every now and again throughout the journey to adjust but the lowest you’ll be able to go is 1200 as anything less than that isn’t healthy.

For men it's 1500 lowest.
  • janejellyroll

so much this.....

So if we are taking fat loss then calorie deficit rules, however weight loss (as measured on a scale) is impacted by more than just CICO. That was my point. Scale changes are more than just fat. The OP has also been on a calorie restriction since 8/2019 so the lack of change could be metabolic and she may need a diet break.

So are you saying if they are "stuck" should they go below 1200 (if they are truly at 1200)?

I think OP needs a diet break. I think that's a separate discussion of whether or not her gut biome is really to blame here.
  • cathipa

so much this.....

I think OP needs a diet break. I think that's a separate discussion of whether or not her gut biome is really to blame here.

Didn't say it was. Not sure why you are just hung up on that one phrase.
  • janejellyroll

so much this.....

Because you mentioned it as a factor that impacts weight. If you mean it isn't relevant to OP's situation, then I agree.
  • cathipa

so much this.....

Because you mentioned it as a factor that impacts weight. If you mean it isn't relevant to OP's situation, then I agree.

My original statement wasn't pointed at the OP, but more making a point that weight fluctuations are more than just CICO.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member

so much this.....

My original statement wasn't pointed at the OP, but more making a point that weight fluctuations are more than just CICO.

The metabolic slowdown will just "slow down" the weight loss.

If she sticks at 1200 she will lose weight again.

It's an adaptation to famine, not a long-term reality.

At all times listen to your body. Weight loss plateaus like this one are likely going to come with eventual loss of energy, fatigue, hair loss, nail and skin problems, irritability, anxiety, depression, inability to focus, sleep problems and more.

This plateau is a warning. It's a warning you've reached a balance/decision point.

I agree with raising calories significantly. I would suggest 1500 PLUS exercise calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    ^^and my suggestion would be to stick at 1500 + Exercise cals, not just as a short term refeed thing, but for many months.

I bet if OP entered her stats into Goals and asked for, "One pound loss per week," and used her honest Activity Level she would get something close to that going forward.

I lost almost all my weight at that calorie level, and I'm a retired little old lady (5'7", now 140)
  • allisonshaw710
    allisonshaw710 Posts: 52 Member
    @apullum Thanks for taking a look. I lost the initial large amount in the first 3 months but then it did slow down quite considerably so I wouldn’t say I’m losing weight quickly now (quite the opposite in fact). I did / do have a large amount. It was 53.3kg to lose at the start (118lbs) and I’ve got 23.5kg (51lbs) to go.

I have gone through the guided goal set up for the number of 1200... some days I try and eat back my exercise goals but not always, it depends on how hungry I am / not. I will try eating more on these exercise days.

The 1 container etc is correct, I’ll eat a container of fruit or whatever it is and cross check calories with weight so I’m making sure I’m eating exactly as calculated. I’m very, VERY militant about calories and counting correctly 🤣

I’ll try eating back on training days and see if that makes a difference 👍🏻

I agree with this and also suggest increasing your calories (someone else suggested setting MFP to 1 lb/week - good idea). You don't want to eat so little that your body goes into starvation mode.

I have had several plateaus in the past and got over them in a few ways:
    1. by adding 300-400 cals per day for 3 days, and then going back to deficit set at 1 lb per week.
    2. eating completely different foods for a week. I was tending to eat basically the same or similar things every day. 3. front loading my day (most cals at breakfast, medium cals at lunch, lowest cals at dinner).

I hope this helps.