How much progress does it look like I've made on my stomach?

Options
96leah
96leah Posts: 18 Member
zj3xaxa341l2.jpg
091van1nhwvz.png
w9pr6pwdrxfq.jpg

From the first two images (taken at the same time), to the third one, taken 18 months later.

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Definitely hard to tell, there’s clearly a bit of movement blur there.

Whoever it is looks fairly slim though. I have to say that I think they’re wearing Spanx under the dress though, so again hard to be sure exactly what’s accurate.
  • 96leah
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    well that photo is a little creepy. is that you? it looks like you inadvertently caught some poor person mid-stride.

Yes, it is me, and it was taken inadvertently. I was wearing tights, which do hold things in a bit, but not as much as Spanx.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    To me, it looks like there is some adipose tissue that could still be lost to reach "flat" status.
  • 96leah
    Options
    To me, it looks like there is some adipose tissue that could still be lost.

Thanks, that's what I thought; someone above said 'fairly slim', but I don't know what fairly slim means exactly
  • 96leah
    Options
    Definitely hard to tell, there’s clearly a bit of movement blur there.

Whoever it is looks fairly slim though. I have to say that I think they’re wearing Spanx under the dress though, so again hard to be sure exactly what’s accurate.

Not Spanx, but some tights which do flatten things out a bit.
    What does 'fairly slim' mean? I was asking more how far does this stomach look from being flat.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I say make your stomach composition to your liking not other peoples opinions. If your wearing tights to hold your stomach in then specifically your not happy with your body's composition. Maybe try working with a personal trainer or tummy tuck etc. I hope this advice doesn't offend you by any means. Your picture is blurry though...
  • 96leah
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Well I think you have a lovely stomach. You really don't have to send a photo of yourself over the Internet to some strangers to either affirm...yes, that's a lovely tummy or OMG it's horrid put a sack over your head.

We live in an age where women are obsessed with how perfectly healthy portions of them look. We're not talking a body part mutilated in a car accident, but perfectly nice stomachs, breasts, hips, etc. It's so sad. We aren't all meant to look the same, and those supermodels on TV and magazines are genetic freaks and most of the images are manipulated by clothes, makeup, Photoshop, and more.

Hi, thanks for this post. I don't think that there is a 'problem' with my body (I'm not overweight), I just wondered how far it looked from being properly flat, that's all. I know the media has a problem with women being too thin!
  • 96leah
    Options
    AprilMLowe wrote: »
    I say make your stomach composition to your liking not other peoples opinions. If your wearing tights to hold your stomach in then specifically your not happy with your body's composition. Maybe try working with a personal trainer or tummy tuck etc. I hope this advice doesn't offend you by any means. Your picture is blurry though...

No, not offended at all. I actually just wanted honest answers and not sugar coating, such as 'oh lots of women are unhappy with their bodies because of the media etc...when they look normal and fine'.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Also, to make yourself even seem real instead of a troll with a ghost profile pic, I would consider adding a profile pic:

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032273012-How-do-I-add-a-photo-to-my-profile-

and then maybe adding something about yourself in the profile section:

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032272772-How-do-I-create-my-public-profile-page-
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    96leah wrote: »
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Well I think you have a lovely stomach. You really don't have to send a photo of yourself over the Internet to some strangers to either affirm...yes, that's a lovely tummy or OMG it's horrid put a sack over your head.

We live in an age where women are obsessed with how perfectly healthy portions of them look. We're not talking a body part mutilated in a car accident, but perfectly nice stomachs, breasts, hips, etc. It's so sad. We aren't all meant to look the same, and those supermodels on TV and magazines are genetic freaks and most of the images are manipulated by clothes, makeup, Photoshop, and more.

Hi, thanks for this post. I don't think that there is a 'problem' with my body (I'm not overweight), I just wondered how far it looked from being properly flat, that's all. I know the media has a problem with women being too thin!

Beyond the unclear photos, and such, part of the problem (for me, in answering very concretely), is that there's IMO no such thing as "properly flat" in some objective sense. There are a wide range of female bodies, even at healthy, sensible weight and when in good condition (athletically speaking). There are also a very wide range of personal and cultural perceptions about what would be ideal, let alone "proper".

That's why I suggested you go look at some other threads (links in post above).

If we had clear photos, front and side (standing still, good lighting, wearing something at least close fitting (but not a compression garment) or more ideally something with a low waist plus a crop top/bikini top (but not underwear); and if you added something about what you see as "proper", we might be able give you honest feedback. It need not be fancy. Cell phone snaps work fine.

If you're at a healthy weight, and are happy with how your body looks in your very own personal view, then I think your stomach is "properly flat". If you're at a healthy weight, and don't want to lose weight, but don't like something about your look**, then it's probable that the best solution is off in the direction of some type of exercise (different exercises for different desired results). If you think you'd feel better at a lighter weight and a little thinner, and your doctor says that would still be in a healthy range for you, then that's an option, too.

For some of us, our ideal body is just not going to happen: If I wanted the tall, lean, yet still curvy look of some healthy top models, it would be out of my reach, because I'm only 5'5", with a narrow-hipped, wide-shouldered, flat-chested body of somewhat rectangular or wide-top triangle shape. (I don't want that kind of model's look, happily, this is just an example). We see those kinds of posts, sometimes, often from rather young and very unconfident women, who seem to feel that if they could just look like a celebrity of a certain very different body type, their lives would improve. That kind of scenario is sad, and it's likely that some of our responses are colored by having had to answer those sort of posts (even though yours is different).

IMO, the photo posted above of a "flat stomach" is a woman who's quite lean (leaner than most healthy women walking around not being photographed by professional photographers ;) ); probably quite active (some muscularity, hard to see how much in that small a photo); and with a fairly small natural (genetic) abdominal rise (from the arrangement of pelvic bones and internal female plumbing), though that may be partly an illusion of this particular pose. That's not a criticism of the post or the model in the photograph in any way, it's just my observation about it in context of trying to think about what "properly flat" might be for someone's who's not the woman in the photo.

** My encouragement to anyone would be to celebrate her (or his) body, and seek happiness in all the amazing things it can do. I'm hoping that's the headspace in which you currently find yourself. That way of thinking is still compatible with wanting certain self-improvements, either in appearance or physical capability. In fact, care and nuturing may be easier to cultivate for loved, valued own body, vs. one that routinely provokes only discontent or (the difference between those extremes is attitude, not objective body shape). Self confidence engenders a sense of personal agency, which is a form of personal power. But that's just my cranky li'l ol' lady opinion. :flowerforyou:
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    IMO You have a very cute shape but you're the only person it should matter to. :)
    And media is terrible because we all want to look like that perfect specimen and feel less than adequate when we don't. :/ Don't compare yourself, just be who you are and love yourself like that!
This discussion has been closed.