January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,965 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins Glad you had a good run. I had to laugh at the cop asking if you knew it was raining. I would have probably said something smartarsy. You showed great restraint.

@katharmonic Glad you had a good long run. The conditions weren't ideal, but you got it done. I would have probably baled and did a treadmill run. I'm such a wimp.

@emmamcgarity Yeah! Glad you got to enjoy a nice park run with friends. You are doing great sticking to your rehab plan and it seems to be working. :smiley:
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Congratulations on getting great health results! It's such a great feeling, like "Hey, what I'm doing is working!" I have two close, personal obese friends that are quick to take a pill for any and all ailments and I'm always inviting them out for a run, a walk, a swim and they always decline. The second I ask them over for a meal, you can guarantee they'll show up. Unfortunately not everyone gets it. So many problems... physical, mental, emotional could be alleviated with exercise and better nutrition.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    6.4 miles today, first time this week I got out to run by myself in the daylight. I do what I can when I can, but I don't like running when it's dark. Morning runs on the weekend are so freeing for me and this was by far the best run I've had all week.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo great doctor visit!

@eleanorhawkins I squeeze as much air out of the hydration pack bladder as I can when I close it, then lay it flat and push the air bubble over where the tube goes in and suck the air out. l also make sure I'm wearing it snugly so it doesn't have as much room to move around.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo My HR is in the 40s too. That is definitely a sign of a more athletic heart. Since most people, most by far, are not nearly as active as you and docs go by averages on the charts we both look bad. Gald your doc had enough sense to think around this one. I have heard of runners being prescribed meds (which they did not take) for this. :)

@eleanorhawkins I squeeze as much air out of the hydration pack bladder as I can when I close it, then lay it flat and push the air bubble over where the tube goes in and suck the air out. l also make sure I'm wearing it snugly so it doesn't have as much room to move around.

Odd. I do not seem to have this problem. I fill my bladder to the max each time, often a bit more, and then just close it as normal. Not sure what y'all mean by sloshing? When I am done the bladder is quite flat and empty with no extra air.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Then, on Friday, I went to the doctor for my scheduled 6 month check up. There was a medical student there, shadowing my doctor. I told them that I had signed up for the HM and they were impressed and excited for me. They said that they had just watched a video about aging and how to prevent/delay a lot of the problems it brings. The main point was to keep moving, "like you are." I had a bone density test done earlier and the results showed that I am above average in bone density for my age. Also, my blood pressure was really good again, so I asked about getting off of my HBP pill. He agreed to cut the dosage in half and see how I do with that. Finally, my heart rate had been on the low side, so I had worn a holter monitor for 24 hours. It showed that my HR had dropped to 43 at one point and was 52 for a couple of hours. I didn't have any symptoms of feeling bad or anything, so he wrote in his notes. "She is a runner. I believe this HR is a sign of a healthy heart." So, back to the discussion of who is a runner (I think that was on this thread), I guess if your doctor calls you one, you are one. :wink: So, long story short is that running is good for you. Even if you don't start until you're older than dirt.

This is awesome!!!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @LoveyChar - if you take your phone when you run your husband can likely track you on your phone if you set it up. I have done that with mine for when we travel and I run in unknown places he could find me if need be. At home I run mostly the same route and there are typically quite a few people out on the trail if I needed help.

Thank you...I don't pay for internet/WiFi or whatever it is outside of the house. Thank you, though. I might get it, though...smart idea for running into the unknown.

You don't need wifi. If your phone has a gps your husband's phone or even PC can be set up to track it.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    I took the dog out for a trail run today and I got some cholla in my shoe. That was fun to pick out in the middle of a trail while doggo tried to eat everything green.

@RunsOnEspresso - this made me laugh! Hobbes will take every opportunity to eat green things! I have nicknamed him the red goat!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Today I ran the Hot Chocolate 10K in Asheville, NC. I and 5 other running buddies loaded up in a minivan at 6:30 and made the trip over the mountain arriving around 7:30. Because we were so early, we were able to snag a parking space in a lot not too far from the starting point. We picked up our “packet” which consisted of a bib and a pair of cotton gloves. Hot Chocolate merchandise (shirts, beanies, etc.) were sold separately but I didn’t buy any. The race started at a local elementary school. Athough some port-a-potties were set up outside we were able to use the school facilities. The school coordinates the event and gets the proceeds from it. The volunteers on the course and off were super. I always try to thank the police that are stopping traffic and the volunteers and they always said “no – thank you for coming out and running. We appreciate you.” I think this made the 13th year they have been sponsoring the races and the announcer said they had made over $300,000 for the school.

It was a sunny morning and the temp was 35F but the wind was blowing causing the real feel to be 27F. The course – it was mostly on a downhill grade for the first mile and then ran flat along the river before crossing a bridge over the river and into a park. We looped out of the park and back across the bridge and down the road by the river. The road was not closed to traffic but there were few cars and all of them were going slowly and very courteous. I knew the last mile would be mostly uphill. However, they took us in the back entrance of the school on the return and it was even more steep than the front where the race started! I’m really not a fan of uphill finishes, but a finish is a finish and I’ll take it. I finished in 1:05:59 with an average pace of 10:37/mile.

After the race we headed into the school to get refreshments. Offerings were bananas, granola bars, and hot chocolate. We stayed for the awards ceremony because one of the ladies in our group won first place in her age group. All in all it was a good race and one that I would do again.

Sounds like a lot fun! Congrats to your friend and for your time!
    I’d like to do it next year! Only trouble is it’s a good 3.5 - 4 hrs away.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    Well I did the 1-4-4-1 today. It went alright I think. Went easy for the first 5 then picked it up and actually had negative splits for 6-9. But I was glad for and looked forward to the mile 9 cool down/easy. I might have gone too hard. Weather Was nice - 50’s but windy so the wind didn’t make it any easier. Still happy with the run.

On hydration...I don’t have a vest but have been thinking about it. Trouble is I’m short and smallish so most are too big.
    And I don’t want anything heavy. Right now I have a flip belt for shorter runs, and a running belt that holds two water bottles. I don’t usually run more than 10-12 miles on long days so it’s usually enough plus I can fill them up.
    May have to research vests...
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @quilteryoyo awesome results, way to go!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    So parkrun was really fun! It was a small group of people, but I expect it will grow, especially when the weather gets nicer. I rode my bike there, and the hills reminded me how out of shape I am for cycling. It was freezing and later started lightly misty-raining, so not the greatest but it's whatever.

The parkrun course itself is an undulating loop that you do 3x, so it is a challenge, but not too bad. I tried to not to treat it like a race, and intentionally started my watch with a slow 1k jog, then just paused it until we started, instead of starting a new workout, so that I wouldn't really know how I was doing on the 5k. As it was, I could definitely count it as a speed/hill workout. I probably won't, though. Also I think the course is a bit short anyway. But the point is to have fun! Mission accomplished!!!

Got my 50k for the week and am on track with the monthly goals :)
    January goal 100 miles (stretch goal 200 km)

exercise.png

Now I really should check out the one here!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @polskagirl01 I’m glad you enjoyed your first Parkrun. It’s nice that you live close enough to bike over.

I returned to Parkrun today for the first time since my injury. It felt good to run with friends again. I did not worry about pace but ran by feel to make sure I didn’t overdo it. My hamstring was tight during the run but not painful. My rehab plan called for a 30 minute run with no walk breaks. But at 25 minutes I felt it was smart to walk a bit when I felt a tiny bit of cramping. From there I did walk/run intervals by feel until I finished. I had to remind myself not to sprint at the end. I’m trying to stick to the plan and not have any speed work until rehab is complete. If felt good to be back, and it was lovely chatting over coffee afterwards. Strava also gave me a 5k badge for the month. My first 5k since the injury. Woot!

Great news. Really impressed with how well you are able to keep to you recovery plan
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    After the race we headed into the school to get refreshments. Offerings were bananas, granola bars, and hot chocolate. We stayed for the awards ceremony because one of the ladies in our group won first place in her age group. All in all it was a good race and one that I would do again.

Yay! Well done!