New Nutrition Labels - Cereal Serving Size

This is really a question for my spouse who doesn't count calories.

The new nutrition labels now reflect "typical" servings rather than servings from a dietician standpoint.

Because of this change, the serving size for cereal has increased.

My question is how much? I can't seem to find an answer via Google.

My husband has always just weighed out what the label said. He doesn't want to eat more than before, but he doesn't know how much to adjust to get back to his old amounts. 80%? 50%? How much have the labels increased? Is it different for every type of cereal?

I rarely eat cereal, so I don't have much insight to offer him.

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    When your husband weighed out his cereal previously, did he write that down or record it anywhere? Maybe he can just reference back to that serving size he’s used before?
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    MichSmish wrote: »
    When your husband weighed out his cereal previously, did he write that down or record it anywhere? Maybe he can just reference back to that serving size he’s used before?

No, he just used what the box told him.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited January 2020
    Doesn't he remember how much it was?

I mean I can remember that my ice cream in 2008 was 53g. Now it's 85g on the label. That's 1.60 X 53...or stated another way it's 85 divided by 53.

Which is still not enough ice cream.

Whatever the portion size is in the database on ANY item, you can just divide what you ate by what the serving is in the portion box.
  • Luke_rabbit
    I get that people used to counting calories are finding this hard to imagine.

He literally just looks at the label and weighs that amount into a bowl. He doesn't store the number in his head. He eats probably a dozen different cereals throughout the year and they all have a different number of grams per serving (I assume, since they vary in density).

If the label said 30 grams last month, he put 30 grams in his bowl. If it says 50 grams now, he puts 50 grams in his bowl (all numbers are purely made up).

He doesn't want to eat more just because other people's "typical" serving is higher.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,780 Member
    When I was losing weight I used to have cereal a lot in the mornings. I can tell you that the serving sizes were always from 28 to 31 grams across a fairly wide variety of non sugary type cereals. I also found it very strange when the labels changed which increased the size. If he goes back to the 28-30 grams he will be in the range of the old serving sizes but if he is counting cals he will have to do math to see what they are. I think Special K was the first to make this change in 2018 and it sounds like they have all gone that way. I have switched over to the Low Sugar oatmeal packs and it would be hard for them to adjust those serving sizes... LOL. I have 2.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    I'd assume he probably eats the same couple of types of cereal most of the time and uses the same style bowl. Why doesn't he just fill the bowl to a level he always has, i.e, eyeball it? It's not exact, but would be close enough for someone not counting calories.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Maybe he can try to google it. Google the cereal + “serving size change” or some such phrase, and it might give him some info on how much it increased by, which he can use to figure his usual amount.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Looks like the change was from 1 cup to 1.5 C, so whatever that works out to in grams for the particular cereal. However, smaller manufacturers have an additional year to make the change and the FDA is delaying enforcement, so the change may not have occurred on all brands he uses.

https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Article/2019/11/05/General-Mills-seizes-Nutrition-Facts-Label-update-as-an-opportunity-to-optimize-cereal-fortification

...The updates include increasing the serving size of ready-to-eat cereal from 1 cup to 1.5 cups for consumers older than 4 years as well as call-outs for different nutrients, updated daily values and a new added sugar line along with several other changes.

These technically go into effect Jan. 1, 2020, for businesses with more than $10m in annual sales. However, last month FDA announced it would exercise enforcement discretion for an additional six months for products that needed the extra time to comply. Smaller businesses have until Jan. 1, 2021, to comply.
  • Luke_rabbit
    When I was losing weight I used to have cereal a lot in the mornings. I can tell you that the serving sizes were always from 28 to 31 grams across a fairly wide variety of non sugary type cereals. I also found it very strange when the labels changed which increased the size. If he goes back to the 28-30 grams he will be in the range of the old serving sizes but if he is counting cals he will have to do math to see what they are. I think Special K was the first to make this change in 2018 and it sounds like they have all gone that way. I have switched over to the Low Sugar oatmeal packs and it would be hard for them to adjust those serving sizes... LOL. I have 2.

Thanks! I will see if this solves the problem. He generally eats generic versions of Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, Bran Flakes, and Grape Nuts. And then a bunch of other ones that I get when the deals are good, like Chex, Life, Kashi, etc.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I'd assume he probably eats the same couple of types of cereal most of the time and uses the same style bowl. Why doesn't he just fill the bowl to a level he always has, i.e, eyeball it? It's not exact, but would be close enough for someone not counting calories.

I really think this makes the most sense. And then take the amount and see how much it is in terms of cups, as most cereals will give a cup measure and grams.

I searched and saw the 1 to 1.5 change that kshama mentioned, but I also checked current packages (on line) and Special K's current measure seems to be 1 cup, while shredded wheat seems to be 1.33 (or in some cases a number of squares).

I hate cold cereal, so no personal knowledge.

This is actually why I think the change based on "what people normally eat" (when we know the average person overeats) is not a good idea, especially since there already are standard serving size measures that have been used in recommendations for daily diet (varying based on total cals, of course). Like your husband, before I counted cals at all I would often look at the serving size. Back in my 20s I ate a rice and beans mix a bunch, and I'd look at the serving size and double it (since the serving size was for it as a side and I was eating it as a main dish). It was about half a package doubled, and the cals seemed reasonable. Similarly, when I ate oats a lot I'd measure out 1/4 cup based on the serving size on the package. Even with something like ice cream, I'd usually have a half cup of ice cream (quarter of a pint) since that was the serving size. Sure, I'd also from time to time eat more (half a pint, even a whole pint), but I was aware I was being indulgent (or eating a silly amount) when, say, eating the whole pint and sometimes 4x the serving to know how many cals. I'm not wild about normalizing larger serving sizes when people already eat too much on average (although I'd also say that we should make our own choices about what serving size makes sense for us when counting).

It's not the same thing in my mind as dividing an obvious single serving package into multiple servings.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited January 2020
    I was wondering why the # of servings in my pint of sorbet went from 4 to 3. Either way, I just log it by grams depending on how much I dish out.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    A serving of Honey nut Cheerios used to be 28g and now it is 37g.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Also questioning how increasing serving sizes is going to help reduce obesity...

OP, could you perhaps check the MFP database to find the old serving sizes?
  • Luke_rabbit
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Also questioning how increasing serving sizes is going to help reduce obesity...

OP, could you perhaps check the MFP database to find the old serving sizes?

I had that same thought after posting. Also old images online. He wants to figure them out and make a chart.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,780 Member
    A serving of Honey nut Cheerios used to be 28g and now it is 37g.

Nice of them to make the increase some strange fraction eh?
  • fourtotwentychars
    fourtotwentychars Posts: 36 Member
    1/3, give or take.