Consistently Overeating and Missing Target Caloric Goals

Options
It seems simple and every morning I tell myself I am going to hit my calorie goal.
But now it's almost 9 pm and I am 500 calories surplus, again.

I feel like I am doing something wrong. Why is it so difficult to reach that number? (1500 kcal).
It is not low for someone of my height and activity level.
Mentally I feel very deprived if I only eat 1500 calories. It's definitely a mental hurdle.
Does anyone have any advice on overcoming that part of my brain that wants to keep eating and eating.
I could eat non-stop all day if I let myself.
I don't really feel satisfied after a meal unless my stomach is so full it hurts.
I know that is not right.
I don't want to admit I have a problem that I can't solve myself, but I really can not stick to my goals.
Because of this, I simply maintain weight instead of losing it.

Please tell me I am not alone in these struggles. I would love to hear how someone was able to overcome the
problems I am describing.

Replies

• kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Agree with mike, I feel fuller eating things like steak,
    Having a big glass of water before every meal or when you feel hungry.
    I find I get hungrier at night, I’m use to a big meal before bed so I save most calories for my dinner and have a hot chocolate before bed to top me up. Find where your falling and try and save your calories for that time so you can eat a larger meal without going over and bulk out meals with as much veges as possible.
    I hope this all helps, this has worked for me but everyone’s different. I have issues where I gorge myself silly and I seem to finally have it semi under control so I totally understand the wanting to eat until you pop and then going over the calories.

Exactly this, I save my calories mostly for nights.
  • KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Have you tried splitting your meals into 5-6 smaller ones, rather than the traditional 3 square meals a day.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    What have you estimated maintenance cals at and how have you done that? As others have said, 1500 might be too low.

Beyond that, how do you happen to eat more than your 1500 daily? Are you not tracking as you eat? Are you using up dinner cals before dinner intentionally? Are you feeling a huge desire that you aren't able to resist to eat more after dinner? Understanding how this happens would help us suggest ways to avoid it (especially once we know how extreme a deficit it is).

Often just saying "oh, I won't overeat today" is setting yourself up for failure. What many of us need, at least at first, is a plan -- today I'm going to eat these things at these times which will be roughly 1500.
  • RoseyandReady
    RoseyandReady Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Cutting the sugar / high carb foods has been a game changer for me. Looking at labels beyond the calories has made a huge difference to stop wanting to eat all day long. I look at the carbs, I can't believe how high the carbs were in some of the foods I was eating and they were super low cal. I had ketchup for the first time in 6 weeks and it tasted like candy. It was a tough road to get to this point, but I feel way more full every day. We've all been there! I'm sure you will find the right mix of foods that will keep you feeling full. Being a taste tester is kind of fun when you try new recipes.
  • MaryT233
    MaryT233 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to a morning muffin every day, had to feel that fullness that comes from the muffin. but then i discovered that eating 2 boiled eggs instead kept me as full, and so if you find something like that that works, and stick with it for the most part, you might be amazed. Try different foods to see if they will do the trick for what you want.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I find I tend to eat more in the evening then during the day at work I bring my food with me, I have no opportunities to snack, I eat at my designated times and I only eat what I bring with me it is structured. Which does give me quite a bit of wiggle room in the evenings to have snacks. Also in the evenings I have more down time (no Structure), maybe do something to stay busy. Do not know what your routine is but maybe take a look at that also. I also sometimes think I've only had X amount to eat I can still eat Z amount even though I am not "hungry". That is when I usually go over and eat A-Z. Gotta find a little humor. I do find when I go to the gym after work I do not eat near as much when I get home compared to when I go straight home. Also what has already been said look at the quality of food vs nutritional value.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    SarenaDunn wrote: »
    It seems simple and every morning I tell myself I am going to hit my calorie goal.
    But now it's almost 9 pm and I am 500 calories surplus, again.

I feel like I am doing something wrong. Why is it so difficult to reach that number? (1500 kcal).
    It is not low for someone of my height and activity level.
    Mentally I feel very deprived if I only eat 1500 calories. It's definitely a mental hurdle.
    Does anyone have any advice on overcoming that part of my brain that wants to keep eating and eating.
    I could eat non-stop all day if I let myself.
    I don't really feel satisfied after a meal unless my stomach is so full it hurts.
    I know that is not right.
    I don't want to admit I have a problem that I can't solve myself, but I really can not stick to my goals.
    Because of this, I simply maintain weight instead of losing it.

Please tell me I am not alone in these struggles. I would love to hear how someone was able to overcome the
    problems I am describing.

How much weight do you have to lose, and how many lbs per week are you trying to lose?
    How long have you been trying to hit that 1500 calorie goal, and do you go over every day? If not, how often would you say?
    Do you exercise, and does that 1500 goal include some of your exercise calories?
    Are you paying any attention to your macros?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Cutting the sugar / high carb foods has been a game changer for me. Looking at labels beyond the calories has made a huge difference to stop wanting to eat all day long. I look at the carbs, I can't believe how high the carbs were in some of the foods I was eating and they were super low cal. I had ketchup for the first time in 6 weeks and it tasted like candy. It was a tough road to get to this point, but I feel way more full every day. We've all been there! I'm sure you will find the right mix of foods that will keep you feeling full. Being a taste tester is kind of fun when you try new recipes.

Something super low cal can't have that many carbs. There are 4 calories per gram of carb, after all. I dislike ketchup so have no particular interest in defending it, but one TBSP of ketchup (depending on brand) that is 16 cal is going to have about 4 g of carbs. If you think 4 grams of carbs is especially high, well, dunno.

Anyway, carbs don't affect fat loss/gain, calories do.

Maybe OP is overeating because she's having trouble controlling sugar or other carbs, but she hasn't said anything to support that yet, and this automatic "carbs must be the problem" is odd.

IF the problem turns out to be that OP is eating a reasonable calorie deficit yet struggling with hunger (there are lots of other reasons to exceed the calorie deficit besides hunger), I would certainly look at whether she were getting enough protein and fiber, first, and also when she happens to be feeling hungry.
  • imfornd70
    imfornd70 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have a theory and it seems to help the people I help - often times your body will maintenance its hunger level until it get what it needs - make sure

1. Macros are tight
    2. you are getting a well balanced diet
    3. Getting enough sleep - if you body doesn't have energy it will gather it from food sources
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other questions above, I am also curious about protein and fiber. Please swap out one of the default nutrients tracked, such as sugar or sodium, to Fiber and change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings