To Eat or Not To Eat

Options
2»

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You could look for things like low sodium dehydrated soups that you just add hot water to. Also, low sodium canned soups, pack a bowl and heat in the hotel room microwave if there is one. Loaf of bread with something shelf stable to put on it.

Sometimes when I'm traveling, I'll prepack homemade oat mixes that are very hearty (oats, dried fruit, wheat germ, nuts, ground flaxseed, hemp seeds, coconut, cocoa powder) and add a banana and just hot water to it (when I eat rolled oats I don't cook them). I know you have restrictions and am not suggesting you try the oats, but just throwing it out there in case it helps you think of something similar.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    hotel cooking for the win - im going to assume while you are out, there are grocery stores you can stop at? there are steamable ziploc bags you can buy that work for cooking protein in the microwave; steamed bags of veggies (1 min and done)

there are plug in devices you can buy for your car - that plug into cigarette lighter - that let you heat up foods
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    jc1695 wrote: »
    Thanks again for the advice. Packing a lunch would be an option if this was a one day trip. It is normally 3 - 5 days and without refrigeration, most packed lunches won't tolerate outdoor southern ambient temperature that long. My primary question was is it better to eat fatty foods so that you have some nutrients or skip the meal entirely to avoid the fat. There is some good advice in here and I'll use to figure out a solution.

Your first priority in eating is energy not nutrients. If you are not accustomed to skipping meals then you could be battling fatigue and/or make yourself so hangry you end up doing a binge-like overfeed.

I should also mention that for weight management and loss you need to control your calories. It doesn't matter if a bunch of them come from fat unless you don't find that to curb your hunger enough.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    hotel cooking for the win - im going to assume while you are out, there are grocery stores you can stop at? there are steamable ziploc bags you can buy that work for cooking protein in the microwave; steamed bags of veggies (1 min and done)

there are plug in devices you can buy for your car - that plug into cigarette lighter - that let you heat up foods

Yes, the Feb 17 episode of the Half Size Me podcast was with a female truck driver who has a little "oven" that plugs in. She had tons of other strategies as well.

I'd encourage anyone who spends a lot of time on the road and is looking for tips to listen to that episode.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    For meals that don't require cooling (just some hot water), I keep high-protein soup, high-protein mac and cheese, and tuna pouches and tortillas in my office because college students are unpredictable and I often have to grab dinner at work. I like quest protein chips, protein hot chocolate, and protein pudding as well.

They can be higher in sodium than other foods, but I find they generally balance out over the course of my day.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    What about instant oatmeal with fresh fruit, like apples? Both can be packed without refrigeration. You just need hot water for the oatmeal -- which you can get from a McDonald's or from your hotel.
    jc1695 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for the input. I failed to mention that I have a lot of diet restrictions due to stomach problems. High fiber foods and legumes are not allowed. Neither is lactose. I go to lumber mills often in the middle of the woods. McDonalds and a gas station are often the only thing within 30+ miles. I stick to a 45% carb, 35% protein, 20% fat diet. I can get a plain grilled chicken sandwich from McDonalds but I don't want to have that too often with all that sodium. I was mainly curious if it was better to eat or wait until I get to a hotel.

Can you eat oatmeal? A box of instant oatmeal requires no refrigeration. You just need hot water, which you could definitely get at a McDonald's. I keep it in my car for emergency food and sometimes have it with an apple. I don't know if fruit would be too high fiber for you.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason your fat is so low? 20% is really the very lowest within a minimally “healthy” range (not even ideal or recommended-just the absolute bare minimum). There are medical reasons someone might need to keep dietary fat that low, so if that’s the case, then ignore the rest of this.

I would nearly always opt for eating something that’s available over eating 800-1000 calories of protein bars (Assuming the 4 you’re eating are 200-250 calories each) or waiting indefinitely (and ending up grumpy and/or over hungry and making poor choices). Even a rural dive will probably have an option for steak, potato & veggies. It’s possible to get a decent meal at McDonalds (or the like) That’s got far fewer calories than 4 protein bars and way more in the way of nutrients. It’s relatively easy to get some non-perishable agreeable foods at a grocery store (instant oatmeal & stable fruits like bananas or oranges are things I often pick up).

If your fat intake needs to be that low for some reason, your options may require more effort and/or be a little more limited. But if not, I would make the best choices of what’s available rather than subsisting on protein bars.