Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• imfornd70
    imfornd70 Posts: 552 Member
    imfornd70 wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I've been bulking for almost 2 months now - carrying an extra 7 pounds +/- , just starting my cutting cycle - I dont really like to eat too much while bulking - true I gain less LBM but after cutting and losing some of the LBM I feel i retain the equal amount of muscle as a person who bulks traditionally

IIRC there's some solid recent research suggesting that lean bulking is better/more efficient than the traditional "eat big to get big" monster bulks. However, I know @jseams1234 does well going full panda so YMMV.

and you get to look leaner while bulking

I'm trying to let this be the last time I ever "bulk"

I figured if I do it right I can probably gain about as much I'd like to without gaining any fat... I think it's possible despite contemporary thinking...

I mean what's the point if I'm going to gain this weight just to cut back down to where I am already... At least that's where my head is today lol

So far up about 8-9lbs, eating well and I feel look leaner than ever really 🤷🏽‍♂️

the key to good bulking is quality nutrition - you don't need to east everything in sight - if you are only looking for that beach body then focus primarily of HV(High Volume lifting) sets of 8-12 - you get roughly the same as lifting heavy with he benefits of lower injury and higher calorie burn

I try, although admittingly a fair percentage of my extra calories have come from sugar...

I'm just eating a bit extra everyday and trying to increase the weight on the bar... I usually gain about 2-3lbs every weekend and it slowly comes off throughout the week... So my strategy has basically been, try to keep that some of that weekend weight and usually by the end of the work week, I'm about 0.5lb heavier...

Although last week I didn't gain any weight and I ran over Saturday... So now my legs feel like they are starving 😂

The average gain for a male not on gear is 2 Lean pounds a months - anything more its water weight or fat. You should consume not more than 300 calories extra during your bulk and most of those from Protein
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I've been bulking for almost 2 months now - carrying an extra 7 pounds +/- , just starting my cutting cycle - I dont really like to eat too much while bulking - true I gain less LBM but after cutting and losing some of the LBM I feel i retain the equal amount of muscle as a person who bulks traditionally

IIRC there's some solid recent research suggesting that lean bulking is better/more efficient than the traditional "eat big to get big" monster bulks. However, I know @jseams1234 does well going full panda so YMMV.

I figured if I do it right I can probably gain about as much I'd like to without gaining any fat... I think it's possible despite contemporary thinking...

I mean what's the point if I'm going to gain this weight just to cut back down to where I am already... At least that's where my head is today lol

So far up about 8-9lbs, eating well and I feel look leaner than ever really 🤷🏽‍♂️

the key to good bulking is quality nutrition - you don't need to east everything in sight - if you are only looking for that beach body then focus primarily of HV(High Volume lifting) sets of 8-12 - you get roughly the same as lifting heavy with he benefits of lower injury and higher calorie burn

I try, although admittingly a fair percentage of my extra calories have come from sugar...

I'm just eating a bit extra everyday and trying to increase the weight on the bar... I usually gain about 2-3lbs every weekend and it slowly comes off throughout the week... So my strategy has basically been, try to keep that some of that weekend weight and usually by the end of the work week, I'm about 0.5lb heavier...

Although last week I didn't gain any weight and I ran over Saturday... So now my legs feel like they are starving 😂

The average gain for a male not on gear is 2 Lean pounds a months - anything more its water weight or fat. You should consume not more than 300 calories extra during your bulk and most of those from Protein

When I bulk I actually keep my protein the same or lower it a bit (it is always the highest when I cut to help preserve muscle, just above 1g per lb bodyweight) if I had that much extra protein when bulking it would kill me both money wise and in fullness, plus it would be way overkill (over 200g, I am only 130-140lbs). Nothing wrong with extra protein if you like it, but I prefer to add carb calories. I usually do a 250 cal per day surplus (I am female) which is about 0.5lb per week
  • imfornd70
    sardelsa wrote: »

When I bulk I actually keep my protein the same or lower it a bit (it is always the highest when I cut to help preserve muscle, just above 1g per lb bodyweight) if I had that much extra protein when bulking it would kill me both money wise and in fullness, plus it would be way overkill (over 200g, I am only 130-140lbs). Nothing wrong with extra protein if you like it, but I prefer to add carb calories. I usually do a 250 cal per day surplus (I am female) which is about 0.5lb per week

you are pushing it if you are getting 1/2 week as a female - not unheard of but you are at the top of the level. I was under the impression that the OP was a male - if i was mistaken then yes protein requirements would be different - but YOU seem to have a handle on it so I'll let defer to your expertise
  • sardelsa
    Actually I am the OP (original poster) :) But the person you were replying to yes is male.

I probably gain a bit more fat than if I kept the gain smaller, but I really have no issues with it, maybe it's the way I store fat? Who knows but it seems to work for me. (That being said I am clearly not huge or look like a bodybuilder, but that is a result of my training).

And your recommendation got me thinking so I did some research. I watched a video from Dr.Eric Helms who has done a lot of research with protein intake in bodybuilders. And the answer is... it depends. For people that tend to overeat and gain too fast and gain fat, a higher protein intake (so 1-1.5g per lb) during bulking can be beneficial (so along the lines of your recommendation) provided the carbs and fats are also adequate. For people that get full fast and can't keep up with their intake then a slightly lower protein (still around 1g per lb) is recommended (which is me). So looks like both can work well. I think for @Mr_Healthy_Habits a higher protein intake could be more beneficial especially if he wants to stay lean, not put on too much in a bulk.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member

You know... I've heard info on conflicting research

I've heard that what you really need in a bulk is carbs because your muscles need energy to grow and that energy is going to come mostly from stored glycogen from high carb intake... Makes sense

I've also heard that studies show your body really can't utilize much more than 0.8g/lb anyway...

But then there is the school of thought that says, more lifting, more muscle breakdown, the obvious requirement is more protein for tissue repair... Makes sense as well

At the end of the day I'm going to try to not over think it or get restrictive about macros... Mostly because it's really hard to say what the science says because it says multiple things...

If I want the extra salmon, I'll have it... If I want the donut, I'll have it 😂... I just try to not over satisfy myself...

I'm pretty sure I'll eventually hit that point where I simply will need to eat more in order to maintain the weight gain, and it may be rather soon... Then I'll reassess and go from there...

Thanks for all the advice and input... Love this thread!
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited January 2020
    I'm sure I miss lots of relevant research publications, especially since I'm not in the fitness business, but I try to keep up and I haven't seen any definitive research that shows that an amount of protein above about 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass per day is beneficial for muscle growth. There are other reasons I've seen for recommending eating more protein than that, particularly to help if you have problems with satiety, but muscle growth, at least in natural lifters, isn't one of the reasons to eat more than the 0.8g number.

I've always referenced this:
    https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    when discussing protein intake.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited January 2020
    According to Aragon's model a beginning lifter who follows a good program and pays attention to their diet and eats appropriately can gain about 18-27 pounds in a year... but as you gain experience that number drops down significantly. Lyle talks about gaining maybe 50 pounds of lean muscle naturally over the career of the lifter - which would put most people close to their genetic potential. It's actually an accomplishment for an advanced lifter to be able to put on even 5 pounds of lean muscle mass in year. 2 pounds per month aint happening unless you are very new to lifting or very far from your genetic potential. Now, there are "experienced" lifters who never grow because they either don't have their program dialed in or their diet sucks. Those people, if they get their act together can still make significant gains... but it does slow down. We are talking fully natural of course, gear changes this equation significantly. Man, I absolutely wish I could gain like I did those first two years. ;)
  • sardelsa

I've heard that what you really need in a bulk is carbs because your muscles need energy to grow and that energy is going to come mostly from stored glycogen from high carb intake... Makes sense

I've also heard that studies show your body really can't utilize much more than 0.8g/lb anyway...

But then there is the school of thought that says, more lifting, more muscle breakdown, the obvious requirement is more protein for tissue repair... Makes sense as well

At the end of the day I'm going to try to not over think it or get restrictive about macros... Mostly because it's really hard to say what the science says because it says multiple things...

If I want the extra salmon, I'll have it... If I want the donut, I'll have it 😂... I just try to not over satisfy myself...

I'm pretty sure I'll eventually hit that point where I simply will need to eat more in order to maintain the weight gain, and it may be rather soon... Then I'll reassess and go from there...

There is so much out there, and at the end of the day, you have to take what you read, consider it and make sure it works for you. If a set of new studies came out that said body part splits were the key to the most optimal muscle building, would I switch? No. I just cannot stick to a body part split. I don't have the time or patience for it. Research is great but it needs to fit your lifestyle.

Also I love me some donuts, but there is nothing better than salmon. Yum!

• imfornd70

There is so much out there, and at the end of the day, you have to take what you read, consider it and make sure it works for you. If a set of new studies came out that said body part splits were the key to the most optimal muscle building, would I switch? No. I just cannot stick to a body part split. I don't have the time or patience for it. Research is great but it needs to fit your lifestyle.

nothing better than salmon?????? ummmmm Oreo Cookies - thats why God made treadmills
  • sardelsa

nothing better than salmon?????? ummmmm Oreo Cookies - thats why God made treadmills

Haha. Confession: I honestly don't love Oreos, except in ice cream! I actually love Oreo Thins because they are so crunchy, not too much filling and perfect for crushing! I can't even buy "Oreo Ice Cream" (or iced dessert as I call it) I have to buy real ice cream made with cream and add my own Oreos, otherwise nope I'll pass :)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits

#thisiswhywerefriends 🙌🏼

But I actually have seen research promoting body part splits 😂

• sardelsa

#thisiswhywerefriends 🙌🏼

:)

I think the more advanced you are, the more it's fine to split things up (and by bodypart split I don't mean upper/lower but back day, leg day etc) can you imagine me doing legs only once a week? Like what's the point of going to the gym?? My glutes would deflate!! Haha
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    edited January 2020

#thisiswhywerefriends 🙌🏼

:)

I think the more advanced you are, the more it's fine to split things up (and by bodypart split I don't mean upper/lower but back day, leg day etc) can you imagine me doing legs only once a week? Like what's the point of going to the gym?? My glutes would deflate!! Haha

Well I can imagine quite a bit 😏...
    But your deflation is not amongst them 😂...

And Heeyy, go easy on us single leg day people, who do you think you're calling deflated Missy? 😂...

I've done ppl, it just seemed like I was in the gym forever tho... I've done full body and I was only able to keep it up for about 3 months before I wanted to die 😂...

The classic Bro split worked best for me for a while...

But now, I'm trying to catch up to you Mama 😉...
    So it's Legs, Legs, Legs, Legs, shoulders...
  • imfornd70

Haha. Confession: I honestly don't love Oreos, except in ice cream! I actually love Oreo Thins because they are so crunchy, not too much filling and perfect for crushing! I can't even buy "Oreo Ice Cream" (or iced dessert as I call it) I have to buy real ice cream made with cream and add my own Oreos, otherwise nope I'll pass :)

LOL I make my own as well -- heavy cream sweetened condensed milk strawberries blueberries - some cream cheese and gramcracker mmmmmm
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    So far operation recomp is going well! I started adding calories and weight seems to be holding steady (or just slightly losing hard to tell at this point) but goal is to just keep eating. Since I am breastfeeding eating at maintenance feels like surplus so I am just eating as much as I can and hoping for the best. Even if I gain a bit, meh, no problem, if I start to hit my high number I will just dial things back a bit. I think that should work, right?

I am really trying to push it in the gym, hopefully I can get my numbers up there where they used to be! Body composition changes would be nice too :)

Awesome job Stef! Hard to believe you just had baby #3. Awesome.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    So far operation recomp is going well! I started adding calories and weight seems to be holding steady (or just slightly losing hard to tell at this point) but goal is to just keep eating. Since I am breastfeeding eating at maintenance feels like surplus so I am just eating as much as I can and hoping for the best. Even if I gain a bit, meh, no problem, if I start to hit my high number I will just dial things back a bit. I think that should work, right?

I am really trying to push it in the gym, hopefully I can get my numbers up there where they used to be! Body composition changes would be nice too :)

It is tricky adjusting based on weight, but I know you're fully aware of all the pitfalls there so I'll just tell you you look great and I'm pretty sure you're going to recomp like a boss. (My teenager would be SO embarrassed I used that phrase. lol).
  • sardelsa
    GaryRuns wrote: »

It is tricky adjusting based on weight, but I know you're fully aware of all the pitfalls there so I'll just tell you you look great and I'm pretty sure you're going to recomp like a boss. (My teenager would be SO embarrassed I used that phrase. lol).

Haha thanks! For me it's actually pretty simple, I don't fluctuate too much unless I start/stop lifting, add a lot of cardio or increase/decrease volume. And as much as I wouldn't recommend it to others, I usually know where I am based on my hunger. Right now I "feel" like I am eating in a slight surplus, a little overly full, eating when I am not always hungry, making sure I am adding lots of peanut butter to my toast and trying not to skip on snacks. It seems to work quite well. It usually works well in the beginning which is when I need it. Over time my hunger adjusts to the new intake levels and I have to keep my eye on my weight.

Wow that sounds really complicated, but for me it's so natural I don't really have to think twice! (Plus I don't have to log my calories which is great for me).
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    GaryRuns wrote: »

Haha thanks! For me it's actually pretty simple, I don't fluctuate too much unless I start/stop lifting, add a lot of cardio or increase/decrease volume. And as much as I wouldn't recommend it to others, I usually know where I am based on my hunger. Right now I "feel" like I am eating in a slight surplus, a little overly full, eating when I am not always hungry, making sure I am adding lots of peanut butter to my toast and trying not to skip on snacks. It seems to work quite well. It usually works well in the beginning which is when I need it. Over time my hunger adjusts to the new intake levels and I have to keep my eye on my weight.

Wow that sounds really complicated, but for me it's so natural I don't really have to think twice! (Plus I don't have to log my calories which is great for me).

Dude you look fantastic and will just as fantastic no matter what you do or which way you go... Just sprinkles on a sundae right 🤷🏽‍♂️... Love me some Gummi bears too tho...

This is pretty much my approach now and I'm kind of new to it, but I feel like I know my body quite well and have reached a point where I can listen to it and let it guide me...

I think if you just stop before you're uncomfortable and hit it hard in the the gym and continue to add plates and reps... You'll get stronger and all the gains will be muscle...

Cheering you on 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
  • sardelsa
    Thank you @Mr_Healthy_Habits !! ;) I am so pumped to just not have to worry about weight loss and losing glutes and losing strength on top of that dealing with lack of sleep and general craziness. I can just... relax. Have fun in the gym, play around with things and get strong!