What diet tips work for you? Let's share

Options
12346»

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Cramming nonstarchy vegetables into everything.
  • emeraldeyes2020
    emeraldeyes2020 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Don’t eat low fat products, it’s full of sugar
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    kbk1335 wrote: »
    Basana0909 wrote: »
    Kbk what is Acv ?! I need an appetite suppressant

Acv is apple cider vinegar! Mix a tbspn of it with a tall glass of water.

ACV and water. Not only will it make the water you drink taste awful it's an awesome way to strip the enamel from your teeth.

I guess drinking something so disgusting would kill the appetite but then again so would licking the sole of your shoes, and I suppose long term, once your teeth rot out of your head, it'll be more difficult to eat food that hasn't been pureed.

1. ACV at the standard commercial 5% acidity has a pH of 3.3 to 3.5, which is very acidic. Nonetheless, even undiluted, it's less acidic than many common beverages**, such as Gatorade Lemon-Lime (pH 2.97), Kool-Aid Grape (pH 2.83) or Dr. Pepper (pH 2.88), among many, many others. Diluted, ACV's pH is higher (more neutral). All of these things are bad for teeth, but ACV is far from uniquely so.

2. Personally, I think ACV tastes good, even as a drink ingredient: No one else has to think that.

3. I 100% agree that ACV has no proven benefit for weight loss, nor did I personally find it made the slightest difference in my weight loss or appetite when I was drinking it (for unrelated reasons), vs. when I was not.

@DanP, I think you give great advice here on MFP, and I see that you backed off the tone of this post. :flowerforyou:

** Cite for relevant American Dental Association research:

https://www.ada.org/en/~/media/ADA/Public Programs/Files/JADA_The pH of beverages in the United States

(NOTE: Unfortunately, the URL may not appear correctly as a link for all viewers because of the embedded blanks. You may need to cut'n'paste it into your browser if you want to read the ADA article about acidity of common beverages.).
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I only eat when actually hungry.

Same for me. My eating pattern is the complete opposite to what is considered by many as set meal times. It took me a long time to adjust to what my body wants, when it needs food and how much food.

Mostly (but not rigidly) I eat a small meal late morning, a massive meal early to mid afternoon and only if I’m properly hungry some fruit or maybe porridge late at night.

I never snack, I’ve learnt it makes me overeat. It took me a verrrry long time to get in sync to hunger ........rather than a just craving or eating cos I felt I should to prevent hunger.

Unless I’m riding outside, then I eat even when I’m not hungry to prevent a bonk.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    If I get a real case of munchies (not hungry but wanting any kind of food badly), I will either walk around or brush my teeth. In a strange way, both will alleviate the want for food.
    Furthermore, I will eat anything that I like, if reasonably within my cal goals. I will eat a piece of chocolate almost every day.

But most importantly: tailor your diet to your needs and your body ! You alone will know what works for you on the long run. For example: some people will avoid carbs, I love and eat mainly carbs. Some will fast, others will graze all the time. Try it out and find YOUR way.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly plants with a bit of meat and throw in some rice or quinoa on occasion. I make sure I have a plan for food for the next day so I'm not as tempted to stop and buy some crap. lol

I have not cut any foods out specifically. When I do, I end up bingeing on those foods. I just work them in, smaller amounts and less often.

I do get dressing on the side but just so I can see how much it is, then I dump it on my salad.

I mostly stopped buying shakes, protein bars or anything processed that screams about protein or GF or low carb because it's still overly processed crap.

I cook extra big dinners so I have easy, healthy leftover lunches.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    sweetsal64 wrote: »
    I drink a large glass of water before each meal and also before a snack. It really helps fill my stomach and I usually tend to eat less. Then again, some people eat when they really are actually thirsty. Same goes if you plan to have a cocktail. Order a tall water (no ice) with your cocktail. Then, make sure you drink the water first. Best of all is that the water is so good for you!

Speaking of cocktail, I sampled a new drink, Crook & Marker Hard Selzer, I had the Blackberry Lime. All flavors are 80 calories, 3 carbs, zero sugar, and pretty tasty!

Okay but how much alcohol? lmao.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    kbk1335 wrote: »
    Basana0909 wrote: »
    Kbk what is Acv ?! I need an appetite suppressant

Acv is apple cider vinegar! Mix a tbspn of it with a tall glass of water.

ACV and water. Not only will it make the water you drink taste awful it's an awesome way to strip the enamel from your teeth.

I guess drinking something so disgusting would kill the appetite but then again so would licking the sole of your shoes, and I suppose long term, once your teeth rot out of your head, it'll be more difficult to eat food that hasn't been pureed.

well aren't you a ray of sunshine on this gloomy day.

That may have come across a little bit more harsh than I intended... but only a little.

It's true I have a very low tolerance for garbage like ACV and other miracles and fads. They're nothing but scams that feed on the wallets and hopes of desperate people and I find it utterly despicable.

fair enough!
  • loopylucy7
    loopylucy7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a smaller bowl or plate at dinner times.

I always have fruit on my desk so if I get hungry it's the first thing I reach for rather than heading for the sugary snacks in the staffroom.

Remove temptations from the house. If it isn't there, you can't eat it!
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Don’t eat low fat products, it’s full of sugar

This is why I don’t “diet”. For me, starting on MFP was for weight loss and it’s Calorie in calories out that contribute to losing weight. If low fat products have less calories than the full fat options that’s what I’ll eat
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I don't eat all morning, I have a small snack around noon and then workout over my lunch hour which keeps me occupied and suppresses my appetite, and then eat my actual lunch around 1:30-2pm. Then another snack around 3:30-4. Then Dinner. Then bedtime snack. So from 2pm until bedtime, I just get to eat constantly basically lol! I love going to bed with a full belly.