Weight loss pills

Options
2»

Replies

• eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I’m not being negative, pills are not necessary.
    amtyrell wrote: »
    There are two types of weightloss pills.
    1. Placebos that do absolutely nothing. These are the better kind
    2. Pills containing caffeine or speed that can burn a very small number of calories (like 50 a day )but can also have a very negative effect on your heart health and brain health. These are a really bad idea

You guys both sound pretty convinced, but I'm not so sure you're right. Here's a TED talk by a notable endocrinologist where he talks about his practical weight-loss results testing drugs that control insulin. I don't want to misrepresent his argument as being in support of weight-loss pills, but either way... we're looking at practical results from notable a professional. You can find peer-reviewed studies on caffeine and other drugs, as well, and the research is generally not going to fit your description.

If someone is struggling with confusion about drugs, it makes sense to refer them to a doctor. If you're willing to instead listen to everyone that has an opinion on weight-loss (even people that were personally successful), you're going to get a million conflicting views.

The problem with this is that controlling insulin is under the premise that eating is physiological. IMO it's usually psychological too. Just because your body doesn't have the same insulin reaction doesn't mean you will stop trying to achieve it (with food). I think the only pill that could make it "easier" for me to lose weight would be one that let me eat whatever I want until I'm bursting. Even just feeling full would not be enough.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Under certain circumstances, metformin (a diabetes drug) can be helpful for weight loss in non-diabetics. This has been demonstrated in well done studies (double blind, control groups).

Unfortunately, because this is an older, generic, inexpensive drug, not a lot of studies have been done. Money often drives research.

The studies that have shown good results are for people who are insulin sensitive, insulin resistant, and/or taking antipsychotics.

Of course these people will also lose weight simply using CICO (just like everyone), but metformin makes it a little easier, probably by reducing appetite.

The most commonly reported side effect is diarrhea (12-53% of patients), and for some uncontrolled. Doesn't sound like this would be a desirable option.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Under certain circumstances, metformin (a diabetes drug) can be helpful for weight loss in non-diabetics. This has been demonstrated in well done studies (double blind, control groups).

Unfortunately, because this is an older, generic, inexpensive drug, not a lot of studies have been done. Money often drives research.

The studies that have shown good results are for people who are insulin sensitive, insulin resistant, and/or taking antipsychotics.

Of course these people will also lose weight simply using CICO (just like everyone), but metformin makes it a little easier, probably by reducing appetite.

But there is no evidence in otherwise healthy people, right? Metformin is somewhat commonly used as a PCOS treatment, in part because of it's effect on insulin resistance. Insulin resistance can cause a decrease in BMR, so successfully treating that may help increase the calories burned for someone with insulin resistance. But I imagine a bigger benefit is that when symptoms are controlled, it makes following a calorie controlled diet easier. My wife has PCOS and her challenge with losing weight has not been with not being able to lose weight in a calorie deficit, but rather sticking with a plan consistently when the symptoms make her so exhausted and miserable all the time.

Metformin, like other drugs, has side effects, and I certainly would not encourage anyone to take it with a goal of it being a weight loss pill. If they have a condition that could be potentially treated by Metformin, then I suggest they talk to their doctor about it. But I certainly wouldn't think it'd be a weightloss pill.

Well the OP didn't give us their medical background. My comment specifically says "insulin sensitive, insulin resistant, and/or taking antipsychotics". That is certainly not a recommendation for anyone or everyone.

Since metformin cannot be purchased OTC, speaking with one's doctor would be required.

I was not endorsing the drug, simply giving an example of one medication that has shown in high quality clinical studies to be an effective aid in weight loss for certain people.

Note: I have a loved one who takes antipsychotics and uses CICO via MFP to lose weight. No metformin or any other weight loss drugs or surgeries.