Leg extension and Leg Curl machine

Options
Sathmi20xo
Sathmi20xo Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
How many sets are you supposed to do when using these machines? Atm I’m doing 8 reps of 4 sets per machine. I read somewhere that you should do 2 sets of leg curl machine for 1 set of Leg extension machine???? Is this true? And also should you be doing low weight when using these machines?

Thank u x

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is no set number. Ideally, you'd be following some sort of program that provides guidance on how many reps to do and what weight each should be. Do you have a plan?
  • Sathmi20xo
    Sathmi20xo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is no set number. Ideally, you'd be following some sort of program that provides guidance on how many reps to do and what weight each should be. Do you have a plan?

Thanks for replying. Yes I do have a plan. On leg days there are squats, lunges, deadlifts but not leg extension or leg curl. I kinda like the burn I feel after using these machines.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sathmi20xo wrote: »

Thanks for replying. Yes I do have a plan. On leg days there are squats, lunges, deadlifts but not leg extension or leg curl. I kinda like the burn I feel after using these machines.

If these exercises aren't part of your plan, then there is no set number you should do. It's up to you, but I would question whether or not they're providing any particular benefit if you already have a well-designed plan.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Personal preference really. Depends on what outcome you are after.

Toning.. light weights.. build muscles.. heavy weights.. etc.
  • thescouselander77
    thescouselander77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like the feel of the leg curl/leg extension so I save the heavy weight/low rep sets for squats and deadlifts.

If I do use the machine (which is rarely) I'd do something like 3 sets of 8-10 reps with a moderate weight. I really don't think it's necessary if you're already squatting and deadlifting though.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like the feel of the leg curl/leg extension so I save the heavy weight/low rep sets for squats and deadlifts.

If I do use the machine (which is rarely) I'd do something like 3 sets of 8-10 reps with a moderate weight. I really don't think it's necessary if you're already squatting and deadlifting though.

I agree with this.

If you're following a plan designed by somebody who likely knows more about putting together a lifting plan than you do, why would you think that throwing in some random exercises would improve it? If it was a good idea, why wouldn't the person who designed your plan have included leg curls and leg extensions?
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist banned me from doing these machines for the reasons mentioned by cwolfman13
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I no longer feel bad about avoiding these machines. They just... felt wrong and my knees are enough of a problem as is.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Haven't used a leg curl machine for years. Personally big fan of leg curl on Swiss ball. Much more core engagement as you aren't lying on a bench. If 2 legs is to easy do it one leg at a time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooBHR3nf3-M&feature=youtu.be
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    The key in using these machines without knee problems is to use a weight that you can do 12 to 15 reps with reasonably and reducing overall range of motion.

So, not too heavy and not all the way to the top or all the way to the bottom. I've done this kind of load and motion management for years and have had no problems. I find these machines very useful.

useful for what though? aesthetics?

Stiff legged deadlifts can be used to hit hammies, squats, and lunges for quad, these machines are more for a bodybuilder to work the muscle in a certain way to get a certain look. the machines in themselves do nothing to help "real life" as those are motions you don't use... so unless a bodybuilder, they are a waste of time and potential for injury. reward is not worth the risk.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    The key in using these machines without knee problems is to use a weight that you can do 12 to 15 reps with reasonably and reducing overall range of motion.

So, not too heavy and not all the way to the top or all the way to the bottom. I've done this kind of load and motion management for years and have had no problems. I find these machines very useful.

Stiff legged deadlifts can be used to hit hammies, squats, and lunges for quad, these machines are more for a bodybuilder to work the muscle in a certain way to get a certain look. the machines in themselves do nothing to help "real life" as those are motions you don't use... so unless a bodybuilder, they are a waste of time and potential for injury. reward is not worth the risk.

I would tend to agree. Google pictures of the athletic team's weight rooms at places like Notre Dame, Miami, Ohio State, etc, places that have virtually unlimited funds and are trying to build strong, athletic individuals You don't see leg extension/curl machines.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options

As a person who trains in a bodybuilding-esque way, I use them quite often. Depending on what my program is It can be as simple as 3 or 4 sets of 10, or pyramid sets, or, like today, 15 minutes non stop going from one to the other - the harder it got the less reps I did. The weight was lightish - like maybe 60% only of my max. It was my first go at this 15 minute madness thing so I wanted to test the waters with less weights. I can go up next time as it was easier than I expected.

Haven't had any apparent issues with the knees (yet anyway), but I do always make sure that I am conscious of what I'm engaging - like the mind:muscle connection thing and not just "hey sit here and make my legs move back and forwards"

I quite like them.

2 minute killers on them are fun too. 2 minutes non stop. Light weight but non stop on the timer. 1 machine at a time, of course.

Now to sit back and watch the "disagrees" come rolling in.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    PS - I wouldn’t recommend that 15 minute thing or the 2 minute killer thing to a newbie

Stick to basic until muscles are stronger and mind muscle connection better

And keep squatting and deadlifting etc
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@erickirb
    Leg extensions were a big part of my rehab from a knee injury that resulted in major muscle loss from my quads - I had virtually no visible shape of my vastus medialus on the injured leg.
    It's also a good exercise for people who do sports involving kicking - that's real life when you play football or rugby but you might do leg extension catches rather than go heavy.

But agree with the point @cwolfman13 makes - leg extension do put a lot of torsion through your knee joint for the relative amount of muscle activation compared to other exercises. That doesn't mean they should be avoided though, it means the load needs to be appropriate for the individual.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

As a person who trains in a bodybuilding-esque way, I use them quite often. Depending on what my program is It can be as simple as 3 or 4 sets of 10, or pyramid sets, or, like today, 15 minutes non stop going from one to the other - the harder it got the less reps I did. The weight was lightish - like maybe 60% only of my max. It was my first go at this 15 minute madness thing so I wanted to test the waters with less weights. I can go up next time as it was easier than I expected.

Haven't had any apparent issues with the knees (yet anyway), but I do always make sure that I am conscious of what I'm engaging - like the mind:muscle connection thing and not just "hey sit here and make my legs move back and forwards"

I quite like them.

2 minute killers on them are fun too. 2 minutes non stop. Light weight but non stop on the timer. 1 machine at a time, of course.

Now to sit back and watch the "disagrees" come rolling in.

I don't use "disagree" ;)

I hope your experience is better than mine. I didn't have any knee issues, until I did, and that has lasted 11 years.

My knees aren't like my hamstrings - those get sore, but with some foam rolling that goes away.