Detox

Does apple cider vinegar actually work

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Also, food isn't toxic.

xsa7mma0p3ef.png

(Fittingly, this stuff has twice been found to have unsafe levels of lead.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Ann I wonder if that is why ACV has become such a popular thing - cheap to buy, readily available, no nasty side effects like diahhroea during the 'detox'

But tastes nasty and is not something people regularly use so seems special enough to be a new weight loss thing.

As opposed to, say, tomato ketchup - also cheap, reafily available, no side effects - but doesn't taste 'detoxxy' and people use regularly already so they know it doesn't make you lose weight.

Trick to creating a successful detox myth, perhaps. ;)

Welllll . . . I actually like the way it tastes, personally. I even have a type of ACV that's spiced and lightly sweetened, that's used as an ingredient in cocktails :yum: (no, that's not the one I was drinking daily :lol: ).

I love ketchup, too - love almost all vinegar-y things, really. But ketchup has a downside: It's got the Dreaded Added Sugarzzz, so it can't possibly be a detox. ;) Speaking as someone who, when she eats ketchup, eats at least half a cup of the stuff at a time, it's pretty darned caloric, especially for a vegetable. :( It definitely doesn't help me lose weight, especially when you count the fried potatoes or deep-fried (whatever) that I'm probably eating with it.

I think the "magic" is perhaps the research and mystification around the blood sugar effects (it's an anti-Sugarzzz detox! Yay!), and maybe the current trendiness of probiotics (effect of "the mother", which is just the live-culture stuff it takes to make vinegar be vinegar). I also think a certain manufacturer has probably done what they can to enhance its mystical alt-health aura, within the limits of potential FDA reaction, at least in the US.

Personally, I was seeing whether I thought it helped my digestive system (history of IBS-C), and considering it as a source of probiotics that people have been safely consuming for centuries. I believe there's no sound science yet around probiotic foods, though some hints that a diverse microbiome tends to correlate with health, so I think of traditionally-consumed probiotic foods as a tasty (to me) bet-hedge. (If I didn't enjoy them, I'd skip them. I haven't found a kombucha I like, for example, so I skip it.)
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    @hipari, I hope you are well by now.
    Speaking of Detox, I am on heavy dose of Antibiotics (today is day 2 and I have 3 more) due to a cellulitis and earlier this year, I had an ear infection and I had to take a different kind of antibiotics for 5 days.
    So that being said, I need to detox after I am done.

The meds makes me feel icky, nauseous and just not good in general.
    I know it messes up your gut bacteria so probiotics are recommended. What else can I do to detox? You guys seem to be knowledgeable. Thanks! (I like ACV dressing; Yum!)
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    @snickerscharlie , @SuzySunshine99 , THANKS! I thought after taking so much meds, I needed to detox!
    Good to know I just need to "restore" my gut. I will be eating yogurt and bone broth to heal!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    There is not conclusive evidence to show that probiotics are necessarily needed after taking a course of antibiotics, nor is there any evidence that demonstrates exactly which probiotic strains are needed. Recent studies have also found that probiotic supplementation might hinder, rather than support, the body's natural recovery of intestinal bacteria after antibiotic treatment.

There is some evidence to suggest that probiotics are specifically helpful in preventing diarrhea associated with use of antibiotics. This does not seem to hold true for infectious diarrhea (i.e., like a stomach bug, https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langas/article/PIIS2468-1253(18)30415-1/fulltext). There is also limited evidence to suggest some benefit for treatment or prevention of certain conditions in children, and certain conditions in adults (https://nccih.nih.gov/health/probiotics/introduction.htm#hed9).

If you believe that you need a probiotic, yogurt is probably a poor way of getting it. This idea may come from the myth that yogurt treats vaginal yeast infections. However, the studies that have been done are suggesting that specific bacteria do specific things, and there is no way to know yet whether you need to supplement any intestinal bacteria, which bacteria you need, whether those bacteria are in the specific yogurt you're eating, or whether the bacteria in the yogurt are capable of colonizing your intestinal tract.

Additionally, probiotics simply don't colonize everyone's intestinal tract. In one study, some people who were given probiotics were actually found to have those specific bacteria in their digestive tract after treatment, and others were not (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322952.php#2). Some people's bodies simply excreted the bacteria in their waste. However, we don't even have a good way to measure whether or not the probiotic bacteria are actually setting up shop in your intestines. Traditionally, researchers have looked at stool samples, reasoning that this would tell us which bacteria people had in their intestines. More recent studies suggest stool samples are not a good way to measure this (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180906141640.htm).

FInally, one study found that after antibiotics, it was easy for probiotic bacteria to colonize the intestines, but this new colony then prevented the patient's normal gut bacteria from returning for several months (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180906141640.htm).