Cardiometabolic diet finally broke my plateau

Options
morihay
morihay Posts: 50 Member
edited January 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm under a dr care (so we get that out of the way) I was 73 pounds over weight I have kidney disease and had extremely high blood pressure I successfully lost 42 pounds no restrictions just CICO, hit a plateau for almost 2 months dr recommended the cardiometabolic diet, it's a modified Mediterranean diet (more protein) and bam a pound off every 2 days yes I'm eating enough I'm actually eating way more!! I'm sure the woosh will slow down but I have never made it past a plateau before I always just gave up, I had a fear of eating more but 500 calories more and food adjustments were just what I needed 21 pounds to go!!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    morihay wrote: »
    but I was still eating simple carbs( white bread, pasta, sugar ect)

I hugged you, cause you're probably going to get some factual disagrees because of your non standard definition of a simple carb!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2020
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    morihay wrote: »
    Key for me was giving up the idea that all carbs were the same I had been eating just ok
    I already didnt eat fastfood or junk but I was still eating simple carbs( white bread, pasta, sugar ect) but staying within my MFP calories the switch to whole wheat and good carbs and not fretting about how many carbs, I did that to my self all the years listening to keto and the likes, In my mind all carbs were the devil I should have known better yes, and probably why I have had trouble dieting to goal

For the purpose of weight loss only, all calories are exactly the same. There are no carbs or other foods that are inherently good or bad for weight loss. For nutrition, of course, one needs to get all the necessary macro and micronutrients.

For specific health conditions or personal preference, one may need to restrict carbs in some way.

I’m glad you have found a diet that’s appropriate for your medical needs.

That is just not true. High protein and high fiber diets have repeatedly demonstrated improved satiety and better weight loss results, even when calories were equated.

Overall, it' looks like a diet based on whole foods. So it's pretty healthy. Glad it's working.

What do you mean by when calories are equated? Do you have examples of studies where people consume the same amount of calories and lose more weight based on a certain macro composition?

I understand the satiety argument (although personally I do not find protein to very satiating), but if intake is equal, then loss should be equal. Otherwise the whole idea of this site is flawed.

I don't have time to go down the rabbit hole, but you can start with the link below. Its one i have personally argues against in the past.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets#section1

ETA: if there is one thing that is guaranteed, if a low carb or keto study favors them, the first question on this board is; are calories and protein equated.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    So basically that ad libitum diets with more protein tend to lead to at least a short-term decrease in cals?

I think that's usually true, but I think there's another important reason in the low carb case here, which is that a dramatic change in diet in the short term leads to fewer cals than a mild change in diet (which keeping fat to under 30% is vs. how the low carb diet is usually defined).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    To the question of iso caloric diet having different results we could become really nit picky and ask if it is iso caloric before factoring in TEF, or after?

In any case the base of the pyramid is clear and it is that the diet (way of eating) that individually works best for each one of us will always win, for that person, by a landslide, regardless of a marginal advantage some other way of eating may offer.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't experiment with different ways of eating. To the contrary. I bet that I am not the only person who at different times in life has done better with different types of eating.

So really it boils down to a willingness to continue to engage and continue to adapt.
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    In any case the base of the pyramid is clear and it is that the diet (way of eating) that individually works best for each one of us will always win, for that person, by a landslide, regardless of a marginal advantage some other way of eating may offer.
    It doesn't mean we shouldn't experiment with different ways of eating. To the contrary. I bet that I am not the only person who at different times in life has done better with different types of eating.

This^!

@MikePTY and @lemurcat2 thank you for sharing your personal experiences with protein and satiety. I often think I must be an anomaly for not finding protein particularly satiating. Especially protein powders! There are so many "studies"(most likely funded by the PP industry)on how whey and/or casein proteins are perfect for satisfying hunger. Not in my case. Many people on this forum recommend Greek yogurt with fruit as a satiating snack/meal. Greek yogurt doesn't blunt my hunger one bit. I like it sweetened with some frozen berries and/or cocoa powder as a dessert but not as a stand alone. Just as @PAV8888, @lemurcat2 and @MikePTY so wisely pointed out, we all have to find a way of eating that satisfies our unique selves. That requires trial, sometimes/often error and practice.

• dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    This plan is basically identical to what my nutritionist mapped out for me years ago. I think it's wonderful that your physician brought it up and wish you continued success.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Quick note I split off some of this discussion to keep it on topic, but kept it visible for context.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    "FYI, all sugars are simple carbs, all starches are complex carbs so the white bread and pasta are primarily complex carbs (with some sugars in the bread so it is partially simple). Eating carb heavy foods with a decent amount of fiber is very helpful both for regulating blood sugar and for satiety. Eating any foods that are nutrient dense is good for overall health."

You just said that complex carbs are the same sugars, but combined in long chains, which break so quickly in the mouth, stomach and bowels. What the difference, what carbs you consume, simple or complex?... Result is still the same: high blood sugar like short peak or for extended period. Our goal for health and for weight loss to keep it low. But if you consume "healthy slow carb" oatmeal your blood glucose will rise slowly and stays at high for long period of time. If glucose is high, your pancreas releases insulin. While the insulin is in the blood, you are not going to loose ever even 1 gram of fat. If you aware, the body works only in 2 ways:gaining fat or using fat for fuel.
    If you want the fat to be used for fuel (loose fat) you have to be at fasting state or consume food which don t rise your insulin ( only fat or protein can do it).
    AL CARBS, INCLUDING HEALTHY FRUITS and WHOLE GRAIN BREADS INCREASE INSULIN, NO WAY AROUND!!!!