Measuring canned chick peas

Options
NJCJF
NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
I eat canned chick peas often and have a questions regarding logging them. There are 3.5 servings in a can. A serving is 1/2 cup or 130 grams. When I use my scale and weigh them 130 grams is way more than a half cup. I've been using a measuring cup to measure them even though I know weighing is more accurate. This seems to be the case with most foods... except for chick peas.

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    Weigh is more accurate than volume.
  • NJCJF
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    Weigh is more accurate than volume.

I know but if I weigh them, 130 grams is like almost the whole can
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Then there's something wrong with your scale.

I cook my own chickpeas from dried, but I know that a cooked portion is in fact about a half cup and about 125g.
  • NJCJF
    Options
    Then there's something wrong with your scale.

I cook my own chickpeas from dried, but I know that a cooked portion is in fact about a half cup and about 125g.

It's only with canned beans not with anything else.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Does the weight include the liquid? It usually does for canned beans. I weigh my entire amount of rinsed beans and then divide by servings. Watch for the "about" 3.5 servings. Do the math based on the actual number of servings.
  • NJCJF
    Options
    Does the weight include the liquid? It usually does for canned beans. I weigh my entire amount of rinsed beans and then divide by servings. Watch for the "about" 3.5 servings. Do the math based on the actual number of servings.

That’s what I do thanks
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The weight includes the liquid, unfortunately. I find a USDA type entry for cooked chickpeas (or any other beans) and weigh the drained beans. It's really hard to accurately use the info on the can due to the water
  • PrismaticPhoenix
    PrismaticPhoenix Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The weight includes the liquid, unfortunately. I find a USDA type entry for cooked chickpeas (or any other beans) and weigh the drained beans. It's really hard to accurately use the info on the can due to the water
    Is this what's going on?! I've started cooking my own chickpeas but recipes always assume that I'm using a certain number of cans of chickpeas and oof it messes everything up.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Is this what's going on?! I've started cooking my own chickpeas but recipes always assume that I'm using a certain number of cans of chickpeas and oof it messes everything up.

My assumption is that unless the weight specifies "drained" then it includes the liquid. There could be national differences too, I'm in the US for what it's worth.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    What I do: Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas (assuming you're going to use the peas without the liquid). Weigh them, and log as "Chickpeas (garbanzo beans, bengal gram), mature seeds, cooked, boiled, without salt", using the drop down to select the 100g quantity (instead of the 1 cup default serving). (The "with salt" version, for whatever reason, doesn't have a grams option). So, 163g of chickpeas (say) gets logged as 1.63 servings of 100g. Yes, sodium will be under-recorded. That doesn't matter to me; if it does to you, this entry won't work.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I use "Chickpeas (garbanzo beans, bengal gram), mature seeds, canned, drained solids" and the weight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

This is what I do as well.

If I were using chickpeas I cooked myself for recipe that called for canned beans, I would just use an amount of cooked beans that are roughly equal in calories to the amount of beans in the can. (I think that runs about 400 kcal in a can that purports to have about 3.5 servings, so about 250 g of cooked, drained chickpeas.)