"I don't want any more. Do you want it?" "I didn't like it anyway"

"Do you want this cause I was just going to throw it away" So many different variations of this sentence I heard growing up and it took me until I was older to actually understand what was going on. Dad actually really liked that sandwich. Mom really loved that cake. Grandma went to the store specifically to get that pie. And because they loved me and that is just what some parental figures do for their children. Or I was eyeballing that food like I was starving. Or I said something like...I like pie/sandwich/cake too I wish I had some....they pretended they didn't want it anyway. My 2 month old baby girl is going to get a lot of my "I didn't like it anyway" foods when she grows up because that's just what we do.

Replies

• kpoe1981
    kpoe1981 Posts: 14 Member
    Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Did this happen to you growing up or have you done this to your kids?
  • I should also mention I’m a massive germaphobe so I have never been able to eat other people’s food. I’m still like that. I realise I’m probably strange this way.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    I agree with the others here ... it's not what we did!

Growing up, my mother had us on a strict food schedule. She'd do up a general meal plan for the month and a specific one for each week.

If there was a sandwich, we each had a sandwich and it was lunch.

If there was cake, we each had a slice of cake and it was our weekend dessert (we didn't have dessert during the week).

If there was pie at my Grandmother's house, she made it ... and maybe I helped too ... and the whole family would have it for weekend dessert.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Sorry, I can't relate either. However, I live in Italy and certain cultures have different ways of doing things. It took me awhile to figure out the mentality. So culture might have controlled the dynamics in your family. If no one was overweight--no harm done.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    When I grew up, I was told that children were starving to death by the thousands in Biafra - and: "how dare you leaving good food on your plate? Your mother was slaving over the stove and hot pots for hours on end, is that how you are re - paying her? You better eat what's on your plate, or else!"

"Starving kids in Africa" from my Mom....well, our dog got really fat!

Our dog loved when mom cooked liver. Blech.