Is counting calories disordered eating? Shouldn’t we be able to not overeat?

Replies

• threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I don't believe that planning and counting is disordered. However I don't like the way I calculate down to the nearest peanut. But I do it anyway.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Same here - i'm just over 5 foot, husband is about 6 foot. So I make a point of giving him a larger portion of everything (although I could easily eat the same size as him). I've been counting calories (although not very precisely) for maybe 3 years now - it definitely helps me stay at a weight that stops me feeling like a stumpy dwarf. I still think i am a little dysmorphic, but its not so bad now i manage to maintain under 7.5 stone.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Here, reframe it like this:

"Is balancing my bank statement disordered financial management? Shouldn't I be able to manage my finances without balancing?"

Now, some people CAN manage their finances without balancing. But we don't consider those who do to have disordered practices.

Perfect analogy!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Here, reframe it like this:

"Is balancing my bank statement disordered financial management? Shouldn't I be able to manage my finances without balancing?"

Now, some people CAN manage their finances without balancing. But we don't consider those who do to have disordered practices.

Perfect analogy!

I plagiarized from someone here but do not recall who deserves the credit :(
  • Kalex1975 wrote: »
    I am one of those people that @AnnPT77 eluded to that counted calories obsessively. I use to pre-log all of my meals a week in advance and would never stray from what I logged.

I have an eating disorder and OCD for which I have been seeing a psychologist weekly for almost 8 months now. My calorie-counting obsessiveness was very helpful in losing almost 250 pounds. However, I have been maintaining that loss for about 2 1/2 years now and that obsessiveness caused me severe anxiety and has harmed my relationships. I would get super stressed about situations where I wasn't sure what food may be available. I would never go to lunch with my co-workers or out to dinner with friends because I hadn't logged it (they don't bother inviting me anymore). My family was supportive but I could tell they were annoyed.

My therapist worked on me for months to be more flexible. A couple months ago she convinced me to stop logging on the weekends. I finally felt free! It went so well that I stopped logging completely last December. Things have been going well and I am starting to repair those relationships. This was in addition to stopping weighing myself (she had me stop because it would cause me to binge when I was under my goal weight). So, I am still uneasy about the unknowns but the freedom I finally feel has been great.

So, is counting-calories a disordered way of eating? No, I don't think so. However, it can cause issues if you have an eating disorder or OCD. I am grateful for MFP. It was the one tool that was indispensable in my weight loss.

Congratulations on the weight loss, that’s awesome! The question is though, could you have lost that 250lbs without calorie counting?
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Igain weight if i stop calorie counting. (I am currently trying to lose 25 lbs i put on assuming i was good at goal weight)
    I spend more money if i stop using my budgeting app .
    I get lost if i do not use a directions app.
    I think these are not disorders but gaming the system knowing that these are tracking mechanisms that work for me and are tools in my personal arsenal of adulthood.
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    MaintainInTheMembrane Posts: 63 Member
    edited February 2020
    Any practice can be a trigger for disordered habits.

Do I believe counting calories can trigger eating disorders? Absolutely, if a person has a disorder or a predisposition to developing one.

For many people, calorie counting is basic math and science that gives us a simple framework to work within, and personally, I find a lot of freedom in that.

Look at it this way: some people are triggered by seeing alcohol, because they have an addiction problem. That doesn’t mean no one else can use or enjoy alcohol.

And in terms of eating disorders: calorie counting won’t be the best approach for a lot of those people. But there is help for people who suffer from an eating disorder to deal with healthy habits in a more appropriate way for their disorder.