Empathy is also motivation and support (a slight rant?)

Options
I don't know what it is, but lately here (and on reddit where I also read and post) I find that everyone seems to be an expert or have a dismissive answer when others (myself included) are frustrated or complain about the lack of results. For me, I get really tired of people saying "give it time" (I've been doing this for years, trust me I've given it time) or "it's probably water weight". Even if that is TRUE, maybe next time you see a post like this, just answer with "that sucks!" or "I know how hard you are trying and I understand your frustration!"

I'm here on MFP for support, not to feel like a dumbass.

Everyone is different, we don't hall fall into the "just water weight" category. Maybe we are struggling to figure out what the right amount of calories is, how to calculate our TDEE or we are simply in need of support.

That's all. Carry on. (suppose I need to put on a flame-retardent suit now)

Replies

• runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    In one way or another we all understand what you are going through with weight loss issues. Just cheerleading for the sake of cheerleading helps no one! Sharing advice or things that work or worked for us does! It's ultimately up to you to be your own motivator. I gave you a hug.

I'm not asking for cheerleading for the sake of cheerleading. I'm saying stop giving one's so called expert knowledge (because unless you are a doctor or an RD or you are inside my body , you don't know for sure) when someone clearly says they are just frustrated. Just be empathetic. you don't have to have the answer or take out your imaginary tool box to give someone a tool they already tried to use.
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Loved your post!! And yes, I agree with you. Too many times comments are picked wayyyy apart and someone's super intelligence is shared when all we want is a little support, a basic knowledge or something along those lines. I've noticed it much more often lately than before. Maybe I'm grumpy due to the season, bored and spend too much time here, saw it before but am just barely voicing my feelings, or there was a straw somewhere that broke the camel's back. Reading the word toxic awhile back hit home, and sometimes we just need to speak up and voice our opinions. I believe everybody here is trying very hard to live their best life yet. And I do realize attempting a conversation via a forum is VERY different than face-to-face. But we do need to keep in mind how the tone can be picked up, what the OP is actually needing, and not end up talking in depth and beyond to show all our college knowledge. :blush:

I even mentioned to someone else here that it's a darn good thing we don't discuss politics or religion. At least none that I've seen. :)

And you described it well......I'm looking for support, motivation, some 'hang in there' but what I'm NOT looking for is to feel like a dumbass, as you said. So, no need to get out the fire extinguisher for me. :) But then, I'm sure I'll get many disagrees. :)

thank you for understanding me :)
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    What happens when you have spinach in your teeth?
    Fake people that don't care say you look lovely
    Real friends hand you a toothpick or some floss and say hey you have a little spinach in your teeth.
    The support here is the second much more useful type.

you are misunderstanding me.

If I clearly say
    I know "xyz" but I'm just frustrated right now

then it's ALSO AN OPTION TO SAY
    "I know you are working hard and I am sorry you feel frustrated"

You don't say
    "well as I explained to you before, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah"

I just said that I knew that. I'm feeling frustrated. The "frustrated" bit is the bit where I need the support for that moment.

Empathy. Look it up.
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    I see it another way, there could be someone not as knowledgeable as you reading the same post and could really benefit from seeing some useful information they may not have otherwise known

I'm posting on my own MFP wall. And everyone responding is an expert in their own minds.
    in the meantime I'm busy with this for much longer than they are. I know a lot about weight, anatomy, physiology, exercise and nutrition.

IF I AM SAYING I AM FRUSTRATED IT'S AN OPTION TO SHOW EMPATHY
    or just don't say anything at all.
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    In one way or another we all understand what you are going through with weight loss issues. Just cheerleading for the sake of cheerleading helps no one! Sharing advice or things that work or worked for us does! It's ultimately up to you to be your own motivator. I gave you a hug.

I'm not asking for cheerleading for the sake of cheerleading. I'm saying stop giving one's so called expert knowledge (because unless you are a doctor or an RD or you are inside my body , you don't know for sure) when someone clearly says they are just frustrated. Just be empathetic. you don't have to have the answer or take out your imaginary tool box to give someone a tool they already tried to use.

Then you probably shouldnt post questions where anyone can answer, if you want to control the answers you receive. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I am talking about posting on my own MFP wall. not in a general forum.
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Define real friends?? I 'like' many people on the forums here, like what they have to say BUT I wouldn't go as far as to say any of them are my friends. And many, I have found, are very intimidating.
    With that said, and this is JMO but some people come off as definite know-it-alls. While, sure, a little knowledge goes a long way, more knowledge, or picking apart every single solitary word, is over the top annoying.
    Is there something wrong with simply showing empathy or compassion or understanding? Is it more important to be kind or right??

No one HAS to post. If you are not getting what you want out of the forums or find certain posters intimidating, irritating, picky, not sensitive,........well maybe the forums are not for you. Trying to change how the forums here work would be difficult. There are rules. Has anyone broken them? If they have you can contact the mods.

I'll repeat myself again. i'm talking about posting on my own MFP wall. So the audience is just "friends"
This discussion has been closed.