Options
124»

Replies

• TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    MrAcavano wrote: »
    Bought a new Apple computer to start a freelance graphic design business in. 1999. If I bought Apple stock instead I’d have 350 grand.
    did you see that as a possibility at the time or is it only something you recognize in hindsight?
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I should have bought that one lotto ticket......
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Once I entered in a Shakespeare competition and was to recite a soliloquy and a sonet... I nailed the soliloquy but blew the sonet and I knew it.

I just flat out didn't prepare well enough, chose the most recognized one, because I already new part of it and didn't take the time I should have to memorize the rest...

There was probably about 20-30 people entered, and all the others were pretty convinced I would rank top 3... But I knew better, my sonet performance was pretty half *kitten* and there was no way these judges would award me when I clearly struggled to recall the lines on stage...

They didn't and it was a learning experience... Fail to prepare, prepare to fail... Although I had a lot of fun...

Which soliloquy?
    edit: (should have read ahead I see this was already answered).
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I had the chance as a teen, to go to CO and work at my uncle's daycare for a summer. Great summer job, got me out of the house, away from parents, experience a position I might have been good at (I loved working with kids), but I didn't go. This was offered 3 years in a row. Never went.

Had the chance to visit my other uncle during the 6 years he was stationed in Hawaii (AF). Never went.

Had a 75% chance of winning the Miss Maryland title for the Miss Hawaiian Tropic Contest back in 1999 and all I had to do was fill out an application and show up (participating in the full contest, obviously). At the least, it would have been a free trip to HI. Didn't do it.
  • FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I should have listened to co workers and bought every penny I could of Ford stock in 2009. #couldabeenretired
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    There's that one girl.. First real love of my life. My wild oats had not been adequately sown so I let her go. It's hard though, to lament lost-chances like this without considering the opportunities that may never have come. I wouldn't have my son if I had taken that road, so I'm content. Although I'd sure love another shot!
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    MrAcavano wrote: »
    Bought a new Apple computer to start a freelance graphic design business in. 1999. If I bought Apple stock instead I’d have 350 grand.

If you still have that old machine, it'd be a collectors item to quite a few folks.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Have to have opportunities to miss them. Can't really say there have been any *to* miss. Perhaps that marks me as lucky by some, but to myself, it tends to make one resentful when you see everyone else get handed opportunities you will never have.
  • MEHR0908
    MEHR0908 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Back in 2017, I almost got some bitcoin for under 1K, but it was still pretty pricey so I was waiting... and then December 2017 it jumped up to $20,000 a coin! Ugh
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    There are so many business ventures I passed up because I didn’t have the cash, courage, or knowledge base.

I think there is such a thing as preparing oneself for opportunity and learning to recognize it when it knocks. I hope.
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I should of not listened to my mother and gone on that all paid scholarship to duke university. Like others had said before things happen for a reason. I would of never met my husband or had my child. I would of been some big shot lawyer for sure though because that was my dream it doesn’t matter now but it was the one thing I missed. That and I should of eaten that damn Italian wedding cake the other day.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    my anxiety has prevented me from SO MUCH
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    katermari wrote: »
    my anxiety has prevented me from SO MUCH

Same. Its hard to overcome, but it can be done!
  • diets_and_daiquiris
    Options
    Not taking the job because the "wrong person" didn't want me to. Could be living live happily doodling in Barcelona right now 🙄