More calories when sick?

Replies

• sdavis484
    sdavis484 Posts: 160 Member
    Wow, so many opinions! I appreciate everyone's helpful and not so helpful advice. If I could *possibly* live longer and reduce diseases like cancer while also losing weight on 1200 calories, I'm all about it. You are welcome to eat however many calories your body chooses. It's ok if we have different opinions! I'm going to the doctor in a few weeks. I will ask him about eating 1200 to lose weight but can almost guarantee that he will be good with it. Unless you are a medical doctor or have other relevant licensure, I am not going to take your word over professionals. My best friend was recently on the HMR diet and on 800 calories per day under the care of a medical doctor. Everyone is different!
  • sdavis484
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    sdavis484 wrote: »
    Wow, so many opinions! I appreciate everyone's helpful and not so helpful advice. If I could *possibly* live longer and reduce diseases like cancer while also losing weight on 1200 calories, I'm all about it. You are welcome to eat however many calories your body chooses. It's ok if we have different opinions! I'm going to the doctor in a few weeks. I will ask him about eating 1200 to lose weight but can almost guarantee that he will be good with it. Unless you are a medical doctor or have other relevant licensure, I am not going to take your word over professionals. My best friend was recently on the HMR diet and on 800 calories per day under the care of a medical doctor. Everyone is different!

Make sure your doctor knows you are planning on actually eating 1200 calories, as doctors know patients tend to have issues with compliance, so will lowball in order to get the calorie target they actually think is appropriate.

Also, since doctors tend to not get much nutritional advice, you'd be better off asking for a referral to a registered dietitian, who will have a lot more training than a GP.

Good advice. Just to be clear I eat more than 1200 calories per day if I exercise which is 75% of the time.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    sdavis484 wrote: »
    Should I eat more calories when I'm sick? On 1200 right now.

Yes, I'd eat maintenance or basically what you feel like eating, as sometimes I find food less interesting when sick.
  • sdavis484
    I felt that I was responded to with hostility. And as mentioned before, I do eat back half my exercise calories.
  • sdavis484
    And that blogger link that was shared and what some are basing their opinion on did basically say 1200 is always wrong. And I'm not basing my opinion on that one article, there is a lot of relevant research about lower calorie diets.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    I'm just getting over the flu. I drank tea and water for several days, no food, I just couldn't keep anything down. So should we consume more calories when we're sick? I suppose it depends on what you are sick with.
  • sdavis484
    vggb wrote: »
    One thing I learned a long time ago about posting is you must have a thick skin and be prepared to answer questions without being on the defense and so reactive.

People want more info before giving a response. It's up to you to take it or leave it but to just say outright that you won't listen and don't want a response if the individual isn't a doctor or RD is a direct insult to those that really want to help. We all discuss to further more thought on the subject, then you have the privilege to disregard or keep what makes sense to you...without reprimand or insult.

Considering that people disregarded my primary question and just wanted to talk about the evils of 1200, that's a direct insult to me wanting actual advice about being sick.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    mgalsf12 wrote: »
    I'm just getting over the flu. I drank tea and water for several days, no food, I just couldn't keep anything down. So should we consume more calories when we're sick? I suppose it depends on what you are sick with.

Note, just because you can't get anything other than water and tea down doesn't mean that you shouldn't a. try or b. be concerned. I ended up in the ER twice during one rather epic UTI turned kidney infection because I couldn't keep down water, let alone food. Needless to say, in addition to the IV fluids (and antibiotics via IV), I was also given an antiemetic while there and a script for them to pick up after I left. Yes part of that was that I needed to be able to drink water, but also becuase I needed to be able to eat at least a minimal amount of food.