More calories when sick?

Options

Replies

• sdavis484
    sdavis484 Posts: 160 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Humans reducing calories by 15% got 2 years - "The study found that calorie restriction decreased systemic oxidative stress, which has been tied to age-related neurological conditions such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, as well as cancer, diabetes, and others."

This is important to me. Reducing Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases as well as cancer and diabetes....VERY important but of course, YMMV. In 2001 I had a severe traumatic brain injury and was in a coma for 2 weeks. Subsequently, I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy. My resting heart rate is very slow, it feels like my entire body is slowed bc I'm constantly tired. I'm hypothyroid. I'm short, 5'3. Narcolepsy is thought to slow metabolism, which makes me twice as likely to be obese. Besides being more likely to be obese, having such a severe traumatic brain injury makes me much more likely to develop neurological diseases like Alzheimer's or Parkinson's. Additionally, I had gestational diabetes in 2 of my 3 pregnancies which puts me at a much increased risk of developing diabetes someday.

• sdavis484
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    sdavis484 wrote: »
    I felt that I was responded to with hostility. And as mentioned before, I do eat back half my exercise calories.

Cool. I hadn't seen that post when I posted, but obviously I was not expressing an opinion on how many cals you should or should not eat. Like everyone else, I noted some considerations (and also noted that I concluded that 1200 + exercise was reasonable for me at one time), and did not tell you what you should do. I continue to have no opinion on what you should do, as I don't know your stats, etc.

However, here's the post that you initially responded to (IMO with hostility), and which provoked my post:
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Also, unless you are very very short, reconsider 1200 calories in the first place: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

I do not think your response was fair.

Nor do I think anyone was treating you with hostility or telling you how many cals to eat. They were speaking from experience with MFP and how certain inputs always get 1200 even when it might not be appropriate and suggesting you might want to consider whether it is for you.

I apologize for seeming rude but this certainly isn't there first time that I've been lectured on the pitfalls of 1200 calories. It's annoying and wasn't my question. Sometimes things aren't so black and white.
  • sdavis484
    Options
    Perhaps, but they aren't familiar with my health history like my doctor.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Humans reducing calories by 15% got 2 years - "The study found that calorie restriction decreased systemic oxidative stress, which has been tied to age-related neurological conditions such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, as well as cancer, diabetes, and others."

This is important to me. Reducing Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases as well as cancer and diabetes....VERY important but of course, YMMV. In 2001 I had a severe traumatic brain injury and was in a coma for 2 weeks. Subsequently, I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy. My resting heart rate is very slow, it feels like my entire body is slowed bc I'm constantly tired. I'm hypothyroid. I'm short, 5'3. Narcolepsy is thought to slow metabolism, which makes me twice as likely to be obese. Besides being more likely to be obese, having such a severe traumatic brain injury makes me much more likely to develop neurological diseases like Alzheimer's or Parkinson's. Additionally, I had gestational diabetes in 2 of my 3 pregnancies which puts me at a much increased risk of developing diabetes someday.

the study included only data from 50 ppl overall in 2 conditions - so i wouldn't use that as a basis for forming any specific guidance
  • sdavis484
    Options
    Sure, a larger study needs to be conducted but considering my risk factors, if something that I'm already comfortable with could potentially help, why not?
  • sdavis484
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Reducing your calories by 15%-20% of TDEE is what is typically recommended for safe and healthy weight loss. If you consistently stayed at a 15% deficit from TDEE, you would ultimately wither away and die...so I think there needs to be some context there.

Let's also say your TDEE is a mere 1800 calories which would be about average for a sedentary female but unlikely for someone very overweight or obese...a 15% cut would be 270 calories giving you a target of 1,530 calories. A 20% cut would be a 360 calorie reduction which would give you a target of 1,440 calories. This is why people are questioning whether 1200 is really appropriate...namely it is the lowest default for a women selecting sedentary on MFP and 1.5-2 Lbs per week weight loss target which is a pretty aggressive target. Nobody is saying 1200 calories is wrong in all instances, but it is often overly aggressive and has you starting at the floor of what is considered to be minimum calories for a sedentary female not under medical supervision. A lot of the responses you are getting are from people who've had a lot of success and have a lot of experience using MFP.

Apparently you did not read the post about my health. My metabolism is already low. My TDEE is not an average TDEE
  • sdavis484
    Options
    I offered my calories originally bc I thought that was relevant info when answering my original question of whether I should increase my calories while sick. I'm not defensive, I just wish people had stuck more to the topic at hand.
  • sdavis484
    Options
    I'm planning on having my metabolism tested soon. I hope you are right and it isn't low but at least it will give me something more definitive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on having my metabolism tested soon. I hope you are right and it isn't low but at least it will give me something more definitive.

Probably a good idea. Keep in mind, the average female BMR is around 1300 calories...but those are the calories you burn merely existing...you would burn them in a coma. Those would be your basal calories and I would wager your test wouldn't show a substantial difference from that either way. People often confuse BMR with TDEE and think BMR is what they need to cut from to lose weight...you expend additional calories just going about life and then more with regular exercise. You mentioned spinning in another thread...spinning is hard work and burns quite a few calories, especially if you can keep your watts up.
  • sdavis484
    Options
    Duly noted. My base cals are set to 1200 but I eat back approx half my "exercise" cals (even when I don't exercise, Fitbit counts steps/increased in hr as exercise)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Duly noted. My base cals are set to 1200 but I eat back approx half my "exercise" cals (even when I don't exercise, Fitbit counts steps/increased in hr as exercise)

FitBit is an activity tracker, and for many of us, a darned accurate one. It estimates your total calories burned from all activity, NEAT and purposeful exercise alike. This is an estimate of your TDEE and if you have it synced with MFP and are seeing large adjustments, it’s an indication that you are more active and burning more calories than the calculations that MFP derived from your inputs would indicate.

• sdavis484
    edited February 2020
    Options
    You know, maybe that's what people are missing. I set my activity to sedentary but I wear a Fitbit and eat back half my exercise calories. I set my activity that way bc my activities are different each day.
  • sdavis484
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

FitBit is an activity tracker, and for many of us, a darned accurate one. It estimates your total calories burned from all activity, NEAT and purposeful exercise alike. This is an estimate of your TDEE and if you have it synced with MFP and are seeing large adjustments, it’s an indication that you are more active and burning more calories than the calculations that MFP derived from your inputs would indicate.

I've found that my Fitbit tends to estimate my cardio lower (seemingly more accurately?) than my Polar chest strap? Everyone says the chest strap is more accurate but I'm not so sure anymore. Anyone have this experience? Maybe I should make this it's own discussion lol