Any advice for choosing a shelter dog?

13»

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    This has made my day! Those photos just ooze sweetness. I think all parties involved got lucky on this one. Congrats!
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Oh, she is beautiful, I sincerely hope she is a good fit for your family. Do you have any dog experience? If you do have any issues , please, please get advice from a dog trainer or someone that really knows about dogs. It really saddens me to the number of animals that are given up because there was a lack of experience on the owners part. I see so many people have the wrong leash, collar on their dog when walking them. It's ok if you have a real docile dog. The dog I have now, was given up at five months old. So I asked what was her problem. It was aggression. I adopted her as I tried a few things out with her at the society. Anyways, she has now been with us for three years. Initially, for her to learn commands, she would dig her heels in, but she is pretty good overall now. I find with her, I have to remind her once in a while who the boss is. I know she will always be the way she is. Thats her personality, but we work at it.😊
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Oh, she is beautiful, I sincerely hope she is a good fit for your family. Do you have any dog experience? If you do have any issues , please, please get advice from a dog trainer or someone that really knows about dogs. It really saddens me to the number of animals that are given up because there was a lack of experience on the owners part. I see so many people have the wrong leash, collar on their dog when walking them. It's ok if you have a real docile dog. The dog I have now, was given up at five months old. So I asked what was her problem. It was aggression. I adopted her as I tried a few things out with her at the society. Anyways, she has now been with us for three years. Initially, for her to learn commands, she would dig her heels in, but she is pretty good overall now. I find with her, I have to remind her once in a while who the boss is. I know she will always be the way she is. Thats her personality, but we work at it.😊

Yes I adopted about 7 years ago, an older black lab. She was precious, but unfortunately I lost her to the ex when we got divorced. This girl reminds me a lot of her, except she's way more derpy!

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    b7tu2uk3kdzc.jpg

Take your time. I went to different shelters and adoption events for months.

Sweet Lou Lou Bear picked me. I wanted a smaller dog, but my daughter noticed Lou was staring at me everywhere I walked. He sat in my lap for awhile with this look of love, sooooo home we went. We had typical puppy issues, but he is an awesome dog and we are inseperable.

Adorable.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I'm happy Barbs has found her forever home.

Dedicated to all of the shelter dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPty-nLtcAc