BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can’t get fat on low glycemic fruits and veggies
  • OliverRaningerVegan
    Options
    Yes, ve gan
  • Laurenconway8619
    Options
    If you don't have time to cook every day, maybe you could batch cook some seitan and pop it in the fridge to just fry up when you want to eat it?

I've recently started upping my protein as a vegan and I honestly feel better (and fuller!) than I have for the past four years. Another protein trick is to bulk up low calorie, canned vegetable based soups with half a can of chickpeas for a protein hit.

Tofu scramble is great, just crumble it in and stir fry with veggies, seasoning and nutritional yeast.

Also, put beans in the blender and add spices/sauce. It makes a tasty (and cheap) bean spread which is low fat and good for dipping crudite vegetables and spreading on corncakes and crackers.

Check which vegan sausages have the highest protein and lowest fat content, batch cook them and keep them in the fridge alongside chopped veggies to eat as snacks and on salads.

Spend some time finding a protein shake that you enjoy drinking, for when you want a sweet hit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    If you don't have time to cook every day, maybe you could batch cook some seitan and pop it in the fridge to just fry up when you want to eat it?

I've recently started upping my protein as a vegan and I honestly feel better (and fuller!) than I have for the past four years. Another protein trick is to bulk up low calorie, canned vegetable based soups with half a can of chickpeas for a protein hit.

Tofu scramble is great, just crumble it in and stir fry with veggies, seasoning and nutritional yeast.

Also, put beans in the blender and add spices/sauce. It makes a tasty (and cheap) bean spread which is low fat and good for dipping crudite vegetables and spreading on corncakes and crackers.

Check which vegan sausages have the highest protein and lowest fat content, batch cook them and keep them in the fridge alongside chopped veggies to eat as snacks and on salads.

Spend some time finding a protein shake that you enjoy drinking, for when you want a sweet hit.

I'm not vegan, but made my first seitan the other day: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/241963/seitan-pepperoni/

It did taste amazingly like pepperoni when the batter was raw, but less so after cooking. Next time, I will double all the spices but the cayenne, which I will halve, as I am currently having a little difficulty with spicy foods :(

Since the OP doesn't like to cook, they probably don't have most of the spices, so I'm not necessarily recommending it for them if they want something that does taste like pepperoni but do not want to purchase a bunch of spices. I had everything but the anise, and used Chinese 5 Spice for that.

There is a more basic recipe on the Bob's Vital Wheat Gluten bag:
    51yeN0X9V5L._SL1000_.jpg
    • If I didn't have marjoram and thyme, I'd just use Italian seasoning, which I keep on hand in place of most of the individual Mediterranean spices (Oregano, Marjoram, Thyme, Rosemary, Basil, Sage.)
    • If I only had one of the garlic or onion powder, I'd just double it.
  • Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    In my past experience, it is impossible to achieve your nutrition requirements on a vegan diet with a goal of 1200 calories. I would eat 2000 calories and still no be getting enough protein/calcium etc.. would always be hungry. Now i eat mostly animal based and reach my nutrition goals way easier and feel satiated and happy.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    In my past experience, it is impossible to achieve your nutrition requirements on a vegan diet with a goal of 1200 calories. I would eat 2000 calories and still no be getting enough protein/calcium etc.. would always be hungry. Now i eat mostly animal based and reach my nutrition goals way easier and feel satiated and happy.

What were your protein and calcium sources? What other nutrients did you struggle with?

Also, milk isn't the great osteoporosis prevention the Dairy Association would have you believe, in fact, this study showed the opposite was true:

https://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6015

...Conclusion

A higher consumption of milk in women and men is not accompanied by a lower risk of fracture and instead may be associated with a higher rate of death. Consequently, there may be a link between the lactose and galactose content of milk and risk as suggested in our hypothesis, although causality needs be tested using experimental study designs. Our results may question the validity of recommendations to consume high amounts of milk to prevent fragility fractures.3 71 72 The results should, however, be interpreted cautiously given the observational design of our study. The findings merit independent replication before they can be used for dietary recommendations.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

In my present experience I easily meet all my requirements on 1500. It might be more challenging on 1200, but that's true for any diet. The fewer calories you have to work with, the less you can afford to blow on junk and still have your nutritional needs met. Don't need 2000 to hit macro and micro goals. It takes thoughtful planning, but it's not difficult.

I'm mindful about what I eat, not just shoving random food in my mouth...which would lead to deficiencies. I'm hardly ever hungry because there's a ton of fiber in my diet.
  • chelleedub
    chelleedub Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I'm 5'2 and 144 lbs. My goal weight is 120, but that means I only get 1,250 calories a day. That's not a lot of food!!! I like to eat and if I'm not careful I can easily double that in just one meal, so spreading it out to three, plus snacks...I'm just always hungry.

I'm also vegan. Does anyone have any belly filling ideas, that don't involve animal products? EVOO helps with "whole foods plant based" cooking, but TBH I don't really cook and don't really want to. So I'm eating a lot of carrots and triscuts with hummus...so much hummus...

Thank you!!!

-I would definitely make sure not to skimp on either breakfast or dinner, first of all. Spread your calories throughout the day if you can, but those meals are most important.

-Amy's Soups are filling, healthy and delicious imo, as I'm sure you know, and easy. Throw some pepitas on a bowl.

Get 8 oz tortillas (either regular whole wheat or a whole wheat/carb counter hybrid) and top one with premade falafel, a cup of veggies, tahihi and avo.

-You can also check out Dave's Killer Bread. It's so healthy and delicious - they make bagels, too.
    Bagel toppings:
    Peanut butter, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds
    Peanut butter, apple, cinnamon, chia seeds
    Peanut butter, banana, blueberries
    Hummus, cucumber, tomato
    Almond dip, cucumber, red bell pepper

-Have you tried lentil pasta? It's delicious and filling. Be sure not to overcook! You can top with pine nuts for a crunch or chickpeas or plant-based meat for double protein!

-Oatmeal or overnight oats

-Soy smoothies, cappuccinos or soy milk with Kashi cereal

-Bean/quinoa chilis

-Vegan trail mixes such as Power Up, available at Walmart

-You may want to look into some kind of vegan protein bar. I like Kind Nuts and Spices bars, but they contain palm oil.

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    For myself I find I need something high in fat a snack 230 or 240 calories. I use either something like avacado, olives, or a keto coffee with coconut oil mixed with a blender. I like two tbsp. But I find it really helps me. Either that or if I find I’m really hungry I up my protein or fats a bit.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Also not sure if they are vegan truly but the quest hero bars are very filling
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Also not sure if they are vegan truly but the quest hero bars are very filling

The first place to start with a protein bar is the source of protein. If it is milk protein or whey, then no, they are not vegan.