Will spin class increase my butt?

Options

Replies

• sdavis484
    sdavis484 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Oh, just an example. If you don't lose the fat as quickly as you gain the muscle you could have unintended consequences like her.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    sdavis484 wrote: »
    I have an acquaintance that is really into CrossFit. She's not a thin girl. Her legs have become gigantic. I guess muscular with fat over the top? That is not a look that I personally want but YMMV.

What does this have to do with spinning or a muscular booty looking exactly the same as a fat one?

Nobody is telling you that you have to want to look like a particular overweight Crossfitter.

But I don't think your plan is to retain your current level of body fat while taking up Crossfit, is it?

It does seem to me that some posts on the thread verge on questioning OP's personal preferred aesthetics for her own body, which I find . . . oddly traditional, if ya know what I mean.

She's talking about being active, so (I infer) not proposing to waste away in some totally unhealthful way. I can see questioning people who're proposing something that's objectively unhealthy, but I'm not seeing that here. Some people want bigger glutes, and some don't. The former is more common these days among young women, it seems; and that's fine.

I'd argue that it's a good thing for anyone to be reasonably strong, but it seems like there's a space where one can be adequately strong for a long and productive modern life, without being visibly muscular or "big".

(Speaking for myself, I prefer to be strong, and I don't mind if that means being more muscular, irrespective of what body part we're talking about. OP seems to have specific aesthetic preferences in that realm.)
  • sdavis484
    edited February 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I have an acquaintance that is really into CrossFit. She's not a thin girl. Her legs have become gigantic. I guess muscular with fat over the top? That is not a look that I personally want but YMMV.

What does this have to do with spinning or a muscular booty looking exactly the same as a fat one?

Nobody is telling you that you have to want to look like a particular overweight Crossfitter.

But I don't think your plan is to retain your current level of body fat while taking up Crossfit, is it?

It does seem to me that some posts on the thread verge on questioning OP's personal preferred aesthetics for her own body, which I find . . . oddly traditional, if ya know what I mean.

She's talking about being active, so (I infer) not proposing to waste away in some totally unhealthful way. I can see questioning people who're proposing something that's objectively unhealthy, but I'm not seeing that here. Some people want bigger glutes, and some don't. The former is more common these days among young women, it seems; and that's fine.

I'd argue that it's a good thing for anyone to be reasonably strong, but it seems like there's a space where one can be adequately strong for a long and productive modern life, without being visibly muscular or "big".

(Speaking for myself, I prefer to be strong, and I don't mind if that means being more muscular, irrespective of what body part we're talking about. OP seems to have specific aesthetic preferences in that realm.)

Thank you! I have done CrossFit in the past for several years. I was lifting heavy! I know what my lower half looks like muscular and I personally don't prefer it. There is a great divide over whether spin class increases butt size. Just Google it! An experienced, celebrity personal trainer actually advises her clients against it for that very reason. I was hoping to hear some friendly, personal anecdotes from the MFP community.
  • AnnPT77
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Oh, just an example. If you don't lose the fat as quickly as you gain the muscle you could have unintended consequences like her.

Under ideal conditions, a woman might gain 1/4 pound a week of new muscle mass - that would be a really good result, for someone's who's trying to do that (without illegal performance-enhancing drugs). Those ideal conditions would include a well-designed progressive weight lifting program, favorable genetics, relative youth, good nutrition, and a calorie surplus, at least. In a calorie deficit, muscle gain results are very, very likely to be less.

On the flip side, half a pound a week is about the slowest reasonably observable rate of weight loss, and even then it wouldn't show up clearly (among most people's normal day to day water weight & digestive system contents' fluctuations on the body weight scale) in anything less than several weeks to a few months, and even then possibly only with a weight-trending app.

Your friend is doing Crossfit, which typically includes a good bit of challenging strength training. Spinning is not challenging strength training. If you've been very inactive in the past, you might find that your body firms up a bit from the spinning over quite a long period of time, but truly . . . you don't need to worry about it.

Muscle gain is very, very unlikely to happen by accident. It's always slow, so if you see it happening, you can back off your workouts (which I predict will be completely unnecessary).

While I was still obese, I gained some muscle at constant weight, by becoming very active. I got smaller, not bigger. That would be normal, at constant weight, for added muscle to make a person smaller. While losing weight, any reasonably likely muscle mass gain will not outpace any reasonable rate of weight loss.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

Thank you! I have done CrossFit in the past for several years. I was lifting heavy! I know what my lower half looks like muscular and I personally don't prefer it. There is a great divide over whether spin class increases butt size. Just Google it! An experienced, celebrity personal trainer actually advises her clients against it for that very reason. I was hoping to hear some friendly, personal anecdotes from the MFP community.

Don't worry you wont accidentally gain a booty. 🙄🙄
  • sdavis484
    Options

I don't need to do it by accident! I already have one and I hate it!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

I don't need to do it by accident! I already have one and I hate it!

Atrophy is a thing. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • sdavis484
    Options
    Lol, won't happen if I'm doing spin I guess 😋
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

I have two different female instructors at the spin classes I attend. Neither one of them have big rear ends. They both just look fit and "toned" and they're spinning a whole heck of a lot more than we students.

Generally speaking, bigger butts like the one in the picture posted are a combination of hard work and genetic disposition...meaning even without the hard work, they had booty. I don't have a big *kitten*, but I have a round bubble butt...always have regardless of whether I was training or not. My two boys have the same.

Also, in my experience, any kind of cardio is going to have pretty minimal impact on building mass. There would possibly be some small effect in an untrained person, but in general, you aren't going to build significant muscle mass doing cardio, even spinning, as you quickly reach a point of "that's how much muscle I need to perform this task effectively". To build meaningful muscle mass you have to progressively overload the muscle, and cardio isn't really going to do that and most certainly won't do that on diet calories. You can't be catabolic and anabolic at the same time.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm not meaning at all to question it (I have preferred goals for my own body), I'm just questioning if this is a realistic fear given OP's situation.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If you were to start cycling and did 100mi+ per week you might find that you gained some crazy leg muscle and it can look weird to some people. Spinning for a few hours a week is generally much easier and doesn't seem to build as big muscles. (although, maybe if you did for more hours...)

I used to do more cycling but now balance cycling with running. I have also lost some weight. My wife says that my legs are noticeably leaner, FWIW.
  • AnnPT77
    edited February 2020
    Options

I'm not meaning at all to question it (I have preferred goals for my own body), I'm just questioning if this is a realistic fear given OP's situation.

Apologies: I didn't think you were questioning it, and should've said so. I was jumping off the "Nobody is telling you that you have to want to look like a particular overweight Crossfitter." to say that I felt like some posts were questioning OP's personal aesthetic goals, even if not in that way . . . but wasn't clear. Sorry for the unclarity! :flowerforyou:
  • sdavis484
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I have two different female instructors at the spin classes I attend. Neither one of them have big rear ends. They both just look fit and "toned" and they're spinning a whole heck of a lot more than we students.

Generally speaking, bigger butts like the one in the picture posted are a combination of hard work and genetic disposition...meaning even without the hard work, they had booty. I don't have a big *kitten*, but I have a round bubble butt...always have regardless of whether I was training or not. My two boys have the same.

Also, in my experience, any kind of cardio is going to have pretty minimal impact on building mass. There would possibly be some small effect in an untrained person, but in general, you aren't going to build significant muscle mass doing cardio, even spinning, as you quickly reach a point of "that's how much muscle I need to perform this task effectively". To build meaningful muscle mass you have to progressively overload the muscle, and cardio isn't really going to do that and most certainly won't do that on diet calories. You can't be catabolic and anabolic at the same time.

A bubble butt (I'm jelly!). My booty is wide and gross and not cute. When I was tiny and 20, even my boyfriend seemingly complimented me by saying I had "childbearing hips." Thanks?!?! My hips cause my butt to resist that adorable bubble shape.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have wide hips too. honestly, not that you were asking, but I'm pretty sure building bigger glute muscles would help it looked more bubble-like. (and losing fat) But I know that's not what you're aiming for. Spin away :p
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

A bubble butt (I'm jelly!). My booty is wide and gross and not cute. When I was tiny and 20, even my boyfriend seemingly complimented me by saying I had "childbearing hips." Thanks?!?! My hips cause my butt to resist that adorable bubble shape.

That's why working glutes is important 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I started spin last March as part of weight loss (started exercising/changing food in Feb and was morbid obese). I currently go to spin classes 3-5 times a week (some are just easy rides) and do strength training 3 days a week. I have lost body fat - but I wanted to incorporate strength training to preserve as much muscle as possible while in a deficit. My muscles are definitely more toned now (a couple pounds away from goal) - although how much is spin versus BB squats and deadlifts I couldn't tell you, but probably the latter doing more to maintain muscle with the spin contributing more to burning fat that revealed muscle. I tend to hold onto fat in my belly and thighs, but have lost lost inches all over so legs look much leaner with defined muscle (can tell a difference with jean leggings). Definitely have not gained in the glute area (and have lost fat there) ! I may be starting to gain some muscle in the glute area, but I am now lifting at 120% / 130% of body weight for squats/deadlifts (calories close to maintenance).

I found spin a great way to get in cardio and keep burning more calories thru increasing resistance.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Cycling typically stimulates the thigh area - quads at the front & hamstrings at the back. Glutes are not so engaged and can actually be quite weak in cyclists especially with poor bike fit.

Since you’re after anecdotes ... I used to do 4 spin classes per week for years, started running and had some pains, my sports physio blames my weak glutes.

I really wouldn’t worry about getting bigger in these areas and anyway, even if you did you can just back off the exercise and the effects will be reversed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

I can tell you that my booty is much better having lost weight and also doing glute work has made it more firm and lifted...but most of my glute work is in the weight room. My wife pinches me all the time.