Saboteurs

I need to lose a lot of weight and to do that I need to avoid/limit certain foods i.e. refined and sugary products. It’s OK at home because my husband needs to lose weight too so we’re supporting each other. My problem is other people; most of whom have nagged me about my weight for many years. Why, when they know you’re trying to eat healthily, do they insist on trying to tempt you or call you miserable when you say that you don’t want a piece of cake or a dessert? Of course, I want the cake/dessert but I want to lose weight even more. It doesn’t make me a miserable person if I avoid foods that will hamper me. The cake/dessert will always be available to me so it’s not as if I’m turning down my last opportunity to ever eat it. I just don’t want to indulge. My change of lifestyle is going well and I don’t want to scupper it before it becomes a total way of life. I’ve not become the food police. I don’t care what anyone else eats. It’s just not for me atm.

Sorry I think this has turned into a rant. :)

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I know what you mean. People like to do this to me too. It is infuriating. I now have a (lamentable) reason to rebuff them and not be terribly conciliatory about it. I look them dead in the eye and say "I'm diabetic. And that is that."

I say this as well! It shuts everyone down really fast and they never bother you again!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    It sure as heck prevents me from rationalizing a reason to eat something that is not part of my plan!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    It sure as heck prevents me from rationalizing a reason to eat something that is not part of my plan!

It becomes quite annoying having to explain, justify or give an excuse every single time. When you tell people you are trying to lose weight they don't respect your efforts but they will respect a medical reason even if you dont have one. LOL!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Call them out on it. "Wow how unkind of you to pressure me to have something when I have already said no. I know you probably care about me and my health and are not trying to make this harder for me but you are making it harder. When I say no thank you please respect my choice"

People will be stunned and then realize they are making it harder and stop.

Love it! Great plan for the types of people in the OP.

My mother is a food pusher. She's just being hospitable. I just say "no thanks" a whole bunch of times. This doesn't bother me. Last time I was there we had guests who didn't say no to anything. I should have warned them, lol.

Other people respond to the "I have a calorie budget and this does not fit into it" analogy.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    So much sympathy with this.

People can be thoughtless and can make this journey harder.

Sometimes, I think people can also get worried about change. When we change, I think it exerts social pressure on other people in our lives, in a way, and so they may not be so excited, at some level, about the work we are doing.

If you want, you might take a look at this Psychology Today article, which has some ideas on how to deal with the problem:
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/changepower/201702/is-someone-sabotaging-your-weight-loss-goals

Anyway, good luck, and hang in there!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    You have the right attitude about this! Lose those toxic people in your life, you'll be better off.

Well that seems a little extreme - as well as impractical.

most people dont want to lose their family,friends, work colleagues over this.

and most people are not being toxic - they are trying to be nice and some of them get carried away and overstep the mark.

Practice a polite but firm and closed No - dont get drawn into excuses, justifying, counter arguements.

No, I'm trying to lose weight, end of story
    (or I'm diabetic, gluten intolerant etc - but only if you are)

Those people called OP miserable to not wanting to eat what they offered. Toxic people are toxic. They can be family and or friends or coworkers.

If people don't have your best interests at heart, why keep them around? Being family does not give you a pass to be crappy. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Usually relationships with people are more nuanced than that and people don't want to fall out with their family over this and they can't just remove all their work colleagues.

Better approach: learn to say a closed No.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    I need to lose a lot of weight and to do that I need to avoid/limit certain foods i.e. refined and sugary products. It’s OK at home because my husband needs to lose weight too so we’re supporting each other. My problem is other people; most of whom have nagged me about my weight for many years. Why, when they know you’re trying to eat healthily, do they insist on trying to tempt you or call you miserable when you say that you don’t want a piece of cake or a dessert? Of course, I want the cake/dessert but I want to lose weight even more. It doesn’t make me a miserable person if I avoid foods that will hamper me. The cake/dessert will always be available to me so it’s not as if I’m turning down my last opportunity to ever eat it. I just don’t want to indulge. My change of lifestyle is going well and I don’t want to scupper it before it becomes a total way of life. I’ve not become the food police. I don’t care what anyone else eats. It’s just not for me atm.

Sorry I think this has turned into a rant. :)

When I have been pushed too far, when I have said no and then no again and maybe even have had to say it one more time, I have been known to say "do you not think I am fat enough already then?".

It works.
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    Yes good topic OP! Cliche’s abound here. I generally responded with something like “hey you can have mine too and gain that extra pound”...or “it’s not on my plan” or something similar. I used “you can have that sugar salt and fat all you want” to great success. And that one helped remind me of why I wasn’t going to have it as it made it much less appealing! Like another said, most of the time was not something Worth it anyway. (Couple of tomes it was and a couple of times I had it...like homemade strawberry cake). Anyway with most around me it was more joking type taunts/offers in a workplace and some really do justify their eating it because, (aforementioned cliches) “everyone is doing it”. “Misery loves company”, etc. After some weight loss success it got WAY easier to fend off the offers! And it got Way easier for food pushers to slack up probably from guilt. Some jokers would still push hard if they brought something special. Hey I like to make good food of all kinds and I like sharing it with others so I’m a food pusher as well.