Best Protein Powder/ loosing weight gaining muscle

Options
Hey everyone, I was wondering what is your favorite protein powder that taste good and mixes with water or milk well? I want to loose weight roughly 50 pounds and also tone/start to build muscle. Not sure if the type of protein powder you use has much to do with that or not. I'm a newbie so advice is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder and with proper eating it has helped me in many ways. I use it regularly, pretty much every night before bed and sometimes during the day.I work and workout late so when I get home I want something satisfying and easy. Like other comments, no single diet, pill, food will make you loose weight unless it is conjunction with lifestyle modification. I work in the supplemetnt and wellness industry and tell all my cudtomers that food is first and food can be medicine.

Favorite proteins- I use plant based, vegan protein. Sunwarrior is my main protein powder choice. Two other good ones are Garden of Life RAW and Orgain. (Orgain does have higher carbs but over all is very good. If you like peanut butter the Select Plant based Peanut Butter is very good.

NOW Plant protein complex. MRM VEggie pro, Plant Fusion, KOS (Amazon) and Biochem Veggie protein are also worth trying
  • asellitti6523
    asellitti6523 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose about 50 lbs you really shouldn't be getting bogged down worrying about protein supplements (or any supplement for that matter) in the infancy stages of your weight loss journey. You should be able to get sufficient protein in the whole foods you eat and continue to lose weight by consistently eating at a caloric deficit. Supplements are more for people who have hit a plateau or recognize there is a specific deficiency that they cannot address with their regular nutrition/diet.
  • jjironaddict
    jjironaddict Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    In the words of Rich Piana "protein powders....GARBAGE!" I wouldn't waste your money on protein powders, I took them for years and found getting what I need from food is the best thing you can do.
  • Monomatapa
    Monomatapa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are different sorts of protein; some absorb faster than others.
    Whey protein digests quickly while casein digests slowly. In experiments, researchers have tried to determine whether fast digestion or slow digestion is better for protein synthesis and muscle building. The conclusion? Fast digestion is best for boosting muscle protein synthesis.
    Dairy-based proteins are the major source of protein in sports supplements — about three-quarters. Soy proteins made up most of the rest. In recent years, plant based protein powders have become more common. However, dairy proteins like whey and casein still make up most of the protein supplements on the market.

A whey-based smoothie, directly after your workout, can do a lot of good for your muscles. It will absorb much faster than eating an egg.
    Last but not least: there is whey 80 and 100. Take the 100. It is more purified and generally of a better quality.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Monomatapa wrote: »
    There are different sorts of protein; some absorb faster than others.
    Whey protein digests quickly while casein digests slowly. In experiments, researchers have tried to determine whether fast digestion or slow digestion is better for protein synthesis and muscle building. The conclusion? Fast digestion is best for boosting muscle protein synthesis.
    Dairy-based proteins are the major source of protein in sports supplements — about three-quarters. Soy proteins made up most of the rest. In recent years, plant based protein powders have become more common. However, dairy proteins like whey and casein still make up most of the protein supplements on the market.

A whey-based smoothie, directly after your workout, can do a lot of good for your muscles. It will absorb much faster than eating an egg.
    Last but not least: there is whey 80 and 100. Take the 100. It is more purified and generally of a better quality.

I'd love to read more about this if you can you link to the studies you're citing? Most of what you've said here sounds like little more than baseless bro-science so if you have legit sources to back this up I'd be very interested.
  • Monomatapa
    Options
    I'd love to read more about this if you can you link to the studies you're citing? Most of what you've said here sounds like little more than baseless bro-science so if you have legit sources to back this up I'd be very interested.[/quote]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3529694/

Just one example, but just google the effects of Whey and/or other fast proteins and you'll find a lot more.

• Monomatapa
    Options
    There is a time frame as well. I believe you better munch your proteins (wherever they come from) within 30 minutes after training, for best effect. You can google that as well.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Monomatapa wrote: »
    There is a time frame as well. I believe you better munch your proteins (wherever they come from) within 30 minutes after training, for best effect. You can google that as well.

That's an old bro's tale. The "window" is actually several hours.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    This is my favorite. I mix it with water and put it in the freezer for 30-45 mins and have it for breakfast. I also add an orange flavored fiber powder supplement from Target.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077WGV18G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit to add: I do 2 scoops :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There is not really a best. It really depends on the composition of the amino acids, especially leucine and the flavor. 2 of my favorites are MyProtein, which is also inexpensive, and RC Vital addition, both in chocolate.

I don't make that many shakes. I mix it with yogurt and some fruit and nuts. I eat on a 16/8 schedule more or less and this is what I have for my first meal of the day several times per week. Reasonable calorie wise, good amount of protein and tastes great.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hey everyone, I was wondering what is your favorite protein powder that taste good and mixes with water or milk well? I want to loose weight roughly 50 pounds and also tone/start to build muscle. Not sure if the type of protein powder you use has much to do with that or not. I'm a newbie so advice is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Isolate Chocolate.

Keep in mind that a whey powder or other protein powder is just a supplement. For the most part I prefer to eat my protein rather than supplement, but I eat quite a few plant based meals so I can be short at times.

ETA: Also keep in mind that drinking your protein is likely not going to result in you being satiated or "full"...you're drinking calories, and they go right through you. I get absolutely no hunger stave from drinking a protein shake.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I tried multiple brands & flavours and in the end decided I prefer to get my protein from foods & milk. I just don’t enjoy the sweetener taste of so many powders. For those rare times I feel I need extra protein and I’m out and about, not at home with my Fage 0% yoghurt, then I’ll chew on a protein bar.
    I just yesterday threw out 4 massive half used tubs of protein powder that had gone out of date. I dread to think about the monetary value that’s now residing in my landfill bin and wish I hadn’t bothered.
    An interesting Runners’ World article compared the nutrition of SIS REGO with Nestle chocolate milk powder mixed with skimmed milk. I think the only significant difference was some extra potassium in the REGO and of course the impact on your bank balance!

By all means experiment, many of us have been there and bought the T-shirt, but you may find eating your protein more satisfying if you’re on a calorie budget.