Fasting

Options
So ive been hearing a lot about different types of fasting, alternate day, intermittent, one meal a day, modified....
Anyone who has had success with any of these can you tell me about them, how they worked for you, how long have you been at it, pitfalls, or why you liked them? Also what is/would be your plan for maintenance once you reach goal weight?
For the record, yes i understand this is just another way to do cico and i know you can loose weight if you are still over consuming...
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs 4 years ago with Intermittent fasting. I would fast until 1 or 2 pm and then eat until 9/10pm

I have maintained the loss (all but 15lbs) with IF (I fluctuate between 16:8, 20:4, and sometimes I dont fast at all).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You still need to control your calories. If IF helps you do that, then great.
  • khcrmo
    khcrmo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs 4 years ago with Intermittent fasting. I would fast until 1 or 2 pm and then eat until 9/10pm

I have maintained the loss (all but 15lbs) with IF (I fluctuate between 16:8, 20:4, and sometimes I dont fast at all).

Was it hard to start? I dont have too hard of a time not eating in the morning, but its hard for me to cut myselfnoff at night...
  • khcrmo
    Options
    khcrmo wrote: »
    So ive been hearing a lot about different types of fasting, alternate day, intermittent, one meal a day, modified....
    Anyone who has had success with any of these can you tell me about them, how they worked for you, how long have you been at it, pitfalls, or why you liked them? Also what is/would be your plan for maintenance once you reach goal weight?
    For the record, yes i understand this is just another way to do cico and i know you can loose weight if you are still over consuming...
    Thanks in advance!

Ok... not sure how to edit my own post, but i meant "I know you CAN NOT loose weight if you are still over consuming"
    🤦‍♀️
  • khcrmo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    You still need to control your calories. If IF helps you do that, then great.

Yup. Agree. Had to reread my post and see my typo...
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    No matter the weight loss plan, it’s always about eating less calories than your body burns. How you get there, and what you call the plan, is a personal choice, and what works best for you.
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started IF last July and have lost 22 pounds so far. I mainly do 16:8. Longest fast was 21 hours. I have not missed a fast yet. I use a fasting app to keep track. It has helped me stick to it. Weekends are hard for me because I’m home with two young kids that always want snacks. 😄 I do love this lifestyle. Weekdays I skip breakfast, eat lunch, a snack and dinner. Weekends I usually eat breakfast if I close my eating window early enough the day before.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I do IF just to work around all my medications that shouldn't be taken with food and can't be taken together. I generally don't eat anything until 11:30 in the morning and then I have dinner around 6 and don't eat anything after that, unless I need to fit in more calories and was too full at dinner. The IF has really helped keep insulin resistance from PCOS under control. I still count calories, because my activity level can fluctuate a lot between seasons, work, and medical issues, so I try to audit my weight trend vs my calories periodically (once every month or two) to make sure I'm not over or under eating.

• freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have been doing IF for 6 or 7 months and have lost over 50 pounds so far, averaging around 2 pound a week, and have about the same amount to go.

I started doing 5:2, then I went to 2:1 but for the last couple of weeks I have shifted to 4:3 as this suits my current work and domestic life pattern a bit more.

So at the moment I am restricting myself to 600 calories on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and then on Tuesdays and Thursdays and at the weekend I allow myself 1800.

I binge if I restrict over an extended period of time but being able to eat good sized meals 4 days a week has meant I have not had a single binge session since starting IF - so it is working for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but these guys did, and explain what they liked and did not like about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntVykcueZE8
  • khcrmo
    Options
    No matter the weight loss plan, it’s always about eating less calories than your body burns. How you get there, and what you call the plan, is a personal choice, and what works best for you.

Yup i know. Just trying to find the "what works best" for me.
  • khcrmo
    Options
    CILLAJ8 wrote: »
    I started IF last July and have lost 22 pounds so far. I mainly do 16:8. Longest fast was 21 hours. I have not missed a fast yet. I use a fasting app to keep track. It has helped me stick to it. Weekends are hard for me because I’m home with two young kids that always want snacks. 😄 I do love this lifestyle. Weekdays I skip breakfast, eat lunch, a snack and dinner. Weekends I usually eat breakfast if I close my eating window early enough the day before.

Yes i cook for my 3 young boys and my husband, so being around food all the time might make it hard. But the reason it interested me so much is because i have never naturally been a breakfast eater. I am used to getting told its the most important meal of the day, and have had a really hard time when ive tried to impliment it in the past. I do however have a problem with coffee filled with sugary creamer, and night time snacking. So those would probably be my biggest obstacles.

Great job on your success so far
  • khcrmo
    Options
    freda78 wrote: »
    I have been doing IF for 6 or 7 months and have lost over 50 pounds so far, averaging around 2 pound a week, and have about the same amount to go.

I started doing 5:2, then I went to 2:1 but for the last couple of weeks I have shifted to 4:3 as this suits my current work and domestic life pattern a bit more.

So at the moment I am restricting myself to 600 calories on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and then on Tuesdays and Thursdays and at the weekend I allow myself 1800.

I binge if I restrict over an extended period of time but being able to eat good sized meals 4 days a week has meant I have not had a single binge session since starting IF - so it is working for me.

Might be a stupid question but...
    5:2 and 4:3 make sense... but what is 2:1?
    Eat two days fast for one? And then repeat?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

Yes i cook for my 3 young boys and my husband, so being around food all the time might make it hard. But the reason it interested me so much is because i have never naturally been a breakfast eater. I am used to getting told its the most important meal of the day, and have had a really hard time when ive tried to impliment it in the past. I do however have a problem with coffee filled with sugary creamer, and night time snacking. So those would probably be my biggest obstacles.

If you have trouble with IF, it might not be the way of eating for you. It's just meal timing and nothing more.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    They explain a lot about the different types of fasting on some youtube videos- it might give you some better ideas of what you might be interested in doing
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I too like my coffee creamer. I can only drink black coffee if it’s iced but it’s too cold for they right now. I switch to green tea in the morning and if I really want that coffee I have it when my eating window opens.

• khcrmo
    Options
    Yup, i think im gonna give it a go. Switching to tea in the mornings sounds doable. And if i can manage the 16:8 for a while maybe ill try omad or ad later. Thanks for the replies.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    freda78 wrote: »

Might be a stupid question but...
    5:2 and 4:3 make sense... but what is 2:1?
    Eat two days fast for one? And then repeat?

Yes, that's right. I just did a rolling programme of 1500, 1500, 500.

But I am out and away from food all day on Wednesday at the moment, until around 8pm at night, so that is an easy fast day so I have decided to up my maximum calories on both fast and non-fast days and to fast three fixed days a week instead of two that move.
  • Sylphadora
    Sylphadora Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think fasting is one of the most powerful health tools there is and I love that there's a fasting schedule for everybody. Currently I'm doing OMAD and I fast around 23 hrs most days, some days 16 hrs and some days +24hrs. I do early time restricted feeding so I eat my meal in the morning or afternoon. Usually at 3:30pm I am done eating for the day.

Last year I also did weekly 47-hr fasts. I didn't eat on Wednesdays. Then on December I started having social commitments several Wednesdays in a row - office Christmas lunch, Christmas, New Year's - and fell off the bandwagon. I was going to resume my weekly 47-hr fasts on January 8 but I felt too lazy to do it and now I stopped fasting on Wednesdays. It's not like I need the longer fasts for weight loss anyway since I'm at maintenance - I actually haven't gained any weight at all since I quit my weekly 47-hr fasts - but I do want to resume the longer fasts for autophagy. Also, abstaining from food one day a week is a real money saver. Just think about it - it's 52 days worth of food in a year!