female looking to build lean muscle

Good Morning!
I have lost 80 lbs over the last two years with diet and I am now looking to build lean muscle.
I have my calorie intake at 1,400; should I up it? I am very new to the whole building muscle thing since I have been on a weight loss journey for the last few years.
Any tips or input would be greatly appreciated!
Just a little on me:
-I do 15-20 mins of cardio as a warm up
-I lift 3-4 times a week
-I am 6 ft tall and 199 lbs and sitting at 21.5% body fat

Thank you!!!!

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    You might consider doing a bulk.
  • Strange_Fire
    Strange_Fire Posts: 30 Member
    Good Morning!
    I have lost 80 lbs over the last two years with diet and I am now looking to build lean muscle.
    I have my calorie intake at 1,400; should I up it? I am very new to the whole building muscle thing since I have been on a weight loss journey for the last few years.
    Just a little on me:
    -I lift 3-4 times a week

Thank you!!!!

Hey Ashley, I recommend “ New Rules for lifting for women” gave me a ton of info when I first started lifting. I wouldn’t recommend bulking if you’re new to building muscle. I would get down the basics and science first. Good luck!

• RobAS355
    RobAS355 Posts: 20 Member
    Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Micheal Mathews and his podcast muscle for life will answer all questions
  • SlayLikeAWarrior
    SlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 89 Member
    In my opinion 1400 is way too low at your height and current weight. A woman at 5ft-4 working out 3-4 days a week requires around 1600 calories. You may be barely getting enough for your body to function properly like it should. You may find it strange, but you can still lose weight eating more. You may also want to look into maintenance if you have already hit your goal weight. Bottom line, you need to rework your goal. I am 6ft-8” and I have met my goals and at maintenance. If you still need help with this, feel free to message me. Either way good luck!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Girl, you're gonna need to eat more and as SlayLikeAWarrior suggested, rework your goals and targets. At 5'5 and 150 lbs, MFP gives me 1470 for a SEDENTARY lifestyle and a loss of .5# per week.

I am not sedentary. I eat about 2100 calories per day to keep my loss DOWN TO .5#/week. Try a couple different TDEE calculators and compare results, but I expect that you can eat at least 300-400 more calories per day and still lose weight. If you want to eat maintenance and recomp, you're probably going to need more than that.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member

At that height and weight you have a BMI > 25 so if your bf is really 21.5% you already have a lot of lean muscle. Or that body fat number is a little low. For a woman, 21.5% is getting quite lean.
  • ashleymorgan33
    ashleymorgan33 Posts: 13 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Are you looking to get leaner or build the most muscle you can? Second, if you are looking to cut a little fat but gain a little muscle, you could look at a recomp. That would be eating at maintenance, consuming adequate protein and following a structured lifting program like StrongCurves.

In terms of calories. How much weight are you losing per week? How long have you been at 1400? Have you taken diet breaks? In the most general terms, 1400 is rather low, especially for someone as tall as you are.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Hi! sorry for the delay i am so new to this part of myfitnesspal! I have taken breaks :) I am currently looking to up my calorie intake as well (hence this post hehe). Gosh I think on average like 1-3 lbs a week? I feel like it is low as well!
  • ashleymorgan33
    gothchiq wrote: »
    You might consider doing a bulk.

i have never explored a bulk! kind of intimidates me?
  • ashleymorgan33
    Good Morning!
    Just a little on me:
    -I lift 3-4 times a week

Thank you!!!!

Hey Ashley, I recommend “ New Rules for lifting for women” gave me a ton of info when I first started lifting. I wouldn’t recommend bulking if you’re new to building muscle. I would get down the basics and science first. Good luck!

thank u so much!!! i do have that book! i just got it! yay!
  • ashleymorgan33
    Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Micheal Mathews and his podcast muscle for life will answer all questions

just started reading that! i have been doing his thinner, leaner, stronger workout for women as well! thank u so much for the input :)
  • ashleymorgan33
    In my opinion 1400 is way too low at your height and current weight. A woman at 5ft-4 working out 3-4 days a week requires around 1600 calories. You may be barely getting enough for your body to function properly like it should. You may find it strange, but you can still lose weight eating more. You may also want to look into maintenance if you have already hit your goal weight. Bottom line, you need to rework your goal. I am 6ft-8” and I have met my goals and at maintenance. If you still need help with this, feel free to message me. Either way good luck!

Thank u sooooo much!!!! I may have to message u.
  • ashleymorgan33
    Girl, you're gonna need to eat more and as SlayLikeAWarrior suggested, rework your goals and targets. At 5'5 and 150 lbs, MFP gives me 1470 for a SEDENTARY lifestyle and a loss of .5# per week.

I am not sedentary. I eat about 2100 calories per day to keep my loss DOWN TO .5#/week. Try a couple different TDEE calculators and compare results, but I expect that you can eat at least 300-400 more calories per day and still lose weight. If you want to eat maintenance and recomp, you're probably going to need more than that.

Thank u so very much!!!!! i really do appreciate all ur info!
  • ashleymorgan33
    ythannah wrote: »

At that height and weight you have a BMI > 25 so if your bf is really 21.5% you already have a lot of lean muscle. Or that body fat number is a little low. For a woman, 21.5% is getting quite lean.

hmm so maybe i need to just bulk? i research a lot but now im stuck and slightly confused lol!!!! yes bf is 21.5%.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

hmm so maybe i need to just bulk? i research a lot but now im stuck and slightly confused lol!!!! yes bf is 21.5%.

I think you've gotten a lot of great suggestions. My only question is how are you determining you body fat %? Most methods have a margin of error. Some more than others.
  • ashleymorgan33
    mmapags wrote: »

I think you've gotten a lot of great suggestions. My only question is how are you determining you body fat %? Most methods have a margin of error. Some more than others.

I have a scale that measures bf, muscle, etc etc. im sure it has room for error :)
  • ashleymorgan33

and i do agree; have def gotten lots of great input! I appreciate all of the suggestion SO MUCH!
  • ashleymorgan33
    Are you looking to get leaner or build the most muscle you can? Second, if you are looking to cut a little fat but gain a little muscle, you could look at a recomp. That would be eating at maintenance, consuming adequate protein and following a structured lifting program like StrongCurves.

In terms of calories. How much weight are you losing per week? How long have you been at 1400? Have you taken diet breaks? In the most general terms, 1400 is rather low, especially for someone as tall as you are.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Hi! sorry for the delay i am so new to this part of myfitnesspal! I have taken breaks :) I am currently looking to up my calorie intake as well (hence this post hehe). Gosh I think on average like 1-3 lbs a week? I feel like it is low as well!

Also, thank u so much! I am currently looking at the link u posted. I also realized i did not touch base on my goal; i mean i def want to build lots of muscle! but more like "cutting"? because i dont really want to bulk up. if that makes any sense..
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member

Also, thank u so much! I am currently looking at the link u posted. I also realized i did not touch base on my goal; i mean i def want to build lots of muscle! but more like "cutting"? because i dont really want to bulk up. if that makes any sense..

You don't really to worry about "bulking" and getting too much muscle quickly. It takes a ton of work and eating in surplus to really put on muscle.

However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't do body building type of workout. I really enjoy Micheal Mathews podcast and another one I listen to is the "The Drop Set" (Darin Starr). Darin is strictly an online coach has a few pro women clients. His podcast has several episodes about using MFP for setting macro goals and how to use it to reach your diet goals. I've learned a lot listening to him... He's also great to responding to any questions you send him.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

I have a scale that measures bf, muscle, etc etc. im sure it has room for error :)

Those are notoriously inaccurate and only useful for a trend. So, you could be maybe 24% or maybe 18%. There are images of women and men at various body fat % on line. I think the visual comparison with these is as accurate as anything short of a Dexa scan or Hydrostatic testing. And even those have a margin of error.

Another alternative is to take a series of photos with as little on as you are comfortable with(they need to be revealing enough to show where body fat and muscle is but not don't have to show anything prurient) like a bikini or form fitting exercise clothes. 2 front, 2 side. One flexed the other relaxed. Post them here and some folks who are pretty good at estimating body fat will offer their opinions. Some are comfortable doing this, some are not. I get it either way.