Best Protein Powder/ loosing weight gaining muscle

Options

Replies

• sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If you are just starting out I would avoid adding new beverage calories until you have a good routine of staying inside your calorie goal. I would also avoid protein bars because they are calorie dense. Once you get your routine down then start tweaking your nutrition to improve protein if you need it. Do not assume you do. My protein is often much higher than I need without supplementation.

This is good advice! You will definitely learn which macros you prefer too, to keep you satisfied longer and keep the hunger pangs/snackies away. Some people feel full on extra carbs, some people it's protein, some people it's fats, and some people it's all of the above. As you start to experiment with your daily calories, keep an eye on the days you end up hungry or the days you feel satisfied. You can note this in the daily notes. Then, you can go back later and see what macro trends are present on the satisfied days and adjust your meals to that.

*I hope this makes sense, I have difficulty putting words together sometimes.
  • jjironaddict
    jjironaddict Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    In the words of Rich Piana "protein powders....GARBAGE!" I wouldn't waste your money on protein powders, I took them for years and found getting what I need from food is the best thing you can do.

Yes, let's take advice from a guy who was on steroids and died from a drug overdose. Much better than protein powders. /sarcasm.

OP, if you find yourself falling short on protein, than supplementation is a good way to help with that. I prefer PEScience or Quest. I have found no better brands.

But gaining muscle is not only about good nutrition, but it's also about following a solid lifting program. Depending what your goals are, you can look at the below list to figure out where is a good place to start. StrongCurves is by far the most popular, but Thinner, Leaner, Stronger and Stephanie Buttermore's programs are also solid.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Because Rich abused his body with PEDs doesn't mean he wasn't knowledgable about nutrition....he was a champion body builder FFS, go watch his videos on nutrition or you could waste your money I dont care
  • jjironaddict
    Options
    In the words of Rich Piana "protein powders....GARBAGE!" I wouldn't waste your money on protein powders, I took them for years and found getting what I need from food is the best thing you can do.

Yes, let's take advice from a guy who was on steroids and died from a drug overdose. Much better than protein powders. /sarcasm.

OP, if you find yourself falling short on protein, than supplementation is a good way to help with that. I prefer PEScience or Quest. I have found no better brands.

But gaining muscle is not only about good nutrition, but it's also about following a solid lifting program. Depending what your goals are, you can look at the below list to figure out where is a good place to start. StrongCurves is by far the most popular, but Thinner, Leaner, Stronger and Stephanie Buttermore's programs are also solid.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Because Rich abused his body with PEDs doesn't mean he wasn't knowledgable about nutrition....he was a champion body builder FFS, go watch his videos on nutrition or you could waste your money I dont care

I would assume that someone who was truly a good source on nutritional information would manage to reach champion bodybuilder status without using steroids.

😂 ok. You need to educate yourself on the sport and the capabilities of the human body, to be a champion bodybuilder you have to take PEDs that's an accepted fact across the sport.
  • MonaLisainCT
    MonaLisainCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use Nutricost whey protein isolate, unflavored. No fat, no carbs/sugar, and it works as well in my cooking/baking recipes as it does in beverages. I buy it in 5lb tubs so it's only $0.57/oz.
  • jjironaddict
    Options

I would assume that someone who was truly a good source on nutritional information would manage to reach champion bodybuilder status without using steroids.

😂 ok. You need to educate yourself on the sport and the capabilities of the human body, to be a champion bodybuilder you have to take PEDs that's an accepted fact across the sport.

If PEDs are required to participate, it's not a "sport," as you're not testing the capabilities of the human body but the capabilities of human pharmaceuticals.

In either case, you should refrain from giving information to people who aren't interested in PEDs, you're in a whole different realm than those of us using food and exercise to meet our goals.

Ok if you say so 😂, also I never brought the subject of PEDs up..read above, I also never said I use them and nor do I, so behave yourself.
  • jjironaddict
    Options

If PEDs are required to participate, it's not a "sport," as you're not testing the capabilities of the human body but the capabilities of human pharmaceuticals.

In either case, you should refrain from giving information to people who aren't interested in PEDs, you're in a whole different realm than those of us using food and exercise to meet our goals.

Ok if you say so 😂, also I never brought the subject of PEDs up..read above, I also never said I use them and nor do I, so behave yourself.

You recommended a known PED user as an expert on nutrition and then defended his use as essential to the sport. My comments to you are based on that. In either case, it isn't applicable to people who are using food and exercise to meet their goals, so let's focus on advice relevant to that group, okay?

So he used PEDs and? His knowledge of nutrition and training become null and void as a result? Don't be ridiculous.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

You recommended a known PED user as an expert on nutrition and then defended his use as essential to the sport. My comments to you are based on that. In either case, it isn't applicable to people who are using food and exercise to meet their goals, so let's focus on advice relevant to that group, okay?

So he used PEDs and? His knowledge of nutrition and training become null and void as a result? Don't be ridiculous.

His statement about protein supplements is ridiculous just on the face of it. The fact that he was a user of PEDs just further erodes his credibility. So, maybe we can get back on track now and answer the OP instead of wandering off into more discussion of Rich Pianna?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out I would avoid adding new beverage calories until you have a good routine of staying inside your calorie goal. I would also avoid protein bars because they are calorie dense. Once you get your routine down then start tweaking your nutrition to improve protein if you need it. Do not assume you do. My protein is often much higher than I need without supplementation.

I agree with you in general about beverage calories. I don't particularly find them satisfying. I use whey in a few different ways and rarely as a beverage. I mix it with an egg, some yogurt, flour and baking powder for protein pancakes. I make Dutch Apple Baby with it cutting the flour in half and substituting unflavored whey. I make a mixture of greek yogurt and chocolate whey that tastes very much like chocolate mousse. I find using it in combo with other foods more satiating.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I agree with you in general about beverage calories. I don't particularly find them satisfying. I use whey in a few different ways and rarely as a beverage. I mix it with an egg, some yogurt, flour and baking powder for protein pancakes. I make Dutch Apple Baby with it cutting the flour in half and substituting unflavored whey. I make a mixture of greek yogurt and chocolate whey that tastes very much like chocolate mousse. I find using it in combo with other foods more satiating.

On days I need or have to eat outside of my routine I will often mix unflavored whey into my egg white fritatta/scramble. I can get ~70 grams of protein in one dish. I don't really want to go lower than .6g per est gw even on the occasional really screwy eating days and that 70 pretty much guarantees I can slide into the minimum if not more.

I was going to experiment with some protein biscuits yesterday but my wife changed her mind at the last minute and decided she wanted a biscuit and did not want to try anything new so I made regular.
  • Monomatapa
    Monomatapa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are o.c. also the BCAA and EAA to consider.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I take Orgain collagen peptides protein everyday.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree that they are not necessary, but can be a quick and easy source of protein. I like to add a half serving to my iced coffee, or a full serving in my oatmeal.

I LOVE Bowmar Nutrition- they have some rather unique flavors and they mix very well in just a shaker cup. I think they're more on the expensive side though. I usually buy the 1lb tubs from them, because I don't really use it a lot, but they sell larger tubs that are probably a better deal for the volume. I also like Optimum Nutrition or Quest.