Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Gastric Sleeve - Your thoughts and opinions or your very own experience?

No_turning_backNo_turning_back Posts: 25Member Member Posts: 25Member Member
Hello Everyone!

I've been reading a lot on gastric sleeve surgery. I know there's so much that goes into daily life post surgery as well as some who have gained the weight back unfortunately.

A little about myself. I am 5'2" and cw is 219. I've been overweight my entire adult life. Growing up I was always very slender. I met my husband and weighed 115lbs. After our first child I stayed around 155 but after our last child I've never gone below 165. Its been a yo-yo roller-coaster for the last 19 years.

I started a new job 9/2018 and had weighed 179 when I started here. In a little over a year I went from 179 to 225. I wont lie, its been depressing.

The well known place I work has many, many large people. Recently several associates have opted for sleeve surgery. I look at them and their results are just amazing.

I can't help feel this is something I should pursue. I'm curious about your own personal experience or perhaps someone you know?

Replies

• sdavis484sdavis484 Posts: 160Member Member Posts: 160Member Member
    Maybe surgery and therapy would help the most.
  • garber6thgarber6th Posts: 1,894Member Member Posts: 1,894Member Member
    reddwarf63 wrote: »
    Having a gastric sleeve done is just a lazy way of saying that you cant do it by proper exercise and portion control. Losing weight is easy, just comes down to free will

People who have weight loss surgery are exercising portion control - there's a lot of work involved in eating post surgery. Exercise is also something they can incorporate into their lives.

The truth is that the principles of weight loss are easy, but actually incorporating them consistently can be challenging. Individuals have different challenges, the parts that are easy for me may be hard for someone else and vice versa.

This. That's why I said in my previous post, WLS is a tool. I have been fortunate that I recovered well, I didn't suffer the hair loss, and I don't have too many food issues. The food issues I have are likely more related to the fact that I don't have a gall bladder. It still takes a lot of work, but being 400 lbs wasn't exactly easy either.

I have way more energy now, my checkups are always great, and my quality of life has improved tenfold. Honestly though, if I had to lose 50 lbs, I might not have had surgery. The fact that I had over 200 lbs to lose was a big factor in my decision to take a more aggressive approach to getting my health back. Really, really think about it.