Fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    @Sylphadora But if you are not eating for one day don't you have to make up for that somewhere? What would be the difference between not eating one day vs cutting those calories out from your intake each day? Not sure how that would save money if the amount of food is still the same overall.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    16:8 has been the key for me. I have dieted and gained back my whole adult life. But I also bought into the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" mantra. For me, it is not. If I have breakfast I wake up the hunger monster. Since 2016 I have been doing 16:8 and it has worked well for me in both losing (a lot - I was obese and am now a healthy weight) and keeping off. It is now a lifestyle. I may occasionally have breakfast on holiday but even then I usually don't. I count calories and eat a quarter of my daily allowance at around 2pm, another quarter at around 5pm and the last half for dinner at around 8.30pm.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sylphadora wrote: »
    Also, abstaining from food one day a week is a real money saver. Just think about it - it's 52 days worth of food in a year!

I have lower food bills at the moment, not least because I am not eating crisps, nuts or chocolate as evening snacks, but I don't think that is the right reason for following a fasting regime.

• Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    khcrmo wrote: »
    Was it hard to start? I dont have too hard of a time not eating in the morning, but its hard for me to cut myselfnoff at night...

That's exactly why I started... to save calories for my evening snacks, lol!

I didnt find it too hard, especially once I realized how many extra calories I had for after dinner this way.

If you're hungry before your 'eating window' try some broth or hot tea/coffee. Hot beverages work much better than cold, IMO.
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    @Sylphadora But if you are not eating for one day don't you have to make up for that somewhere? What would be the difference between not eating one day vs cutting those calories out from your intake each day? Not sure how that would save money if the amount of food is still the same overall.

Nothing is different, cost wise. It just makes it easier to maintain a calorie defecit.
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm not into fasting myself.

As you said, it is CICO. It works for many people because they are taking in less calories than they are burning off. Some people don't realize this exactly, others do, some people fail with it, some succeed with it.

One of my weight loss friends lost the majority of her weight through doing intermittent fasting. She was basically *the* intermittent fasting gal. She could almost be called an expert at it in her devotion. She absolutely thrived on it, and it made her weight loss go much smoother than if she hadn't used it.

I always knew fasting wasn't for me, but due to her enthusiasm, I did give it a try, just to see how it'd go.

I only did it about 3 times. It was so exciting for me. I had all these plans set up, what days I'd eat how many calories. Honestly, on those days where I ate under 500 calories, it wasn't hard.

But, I quickly gave up. I find it much easier to eat under 1800 calories 7 days a week than to eat 2,000 calories 5 days a week but 2 days of under 500. (Or other variations of intermittent fasting). It's mostly that I just can't stick with it. For example, if I were supposed to fast one day, I could say "Well, I'll just do it tomorrow instead..." but then I wouldn't.

If it's something you're interested in trying, I say go for it. You never know. It could be the method you need. Trying it out doesn't mean you need to make a commitment to it. It just means you're checking out if it's right for you. If it's not, that's fine, you can always go back to your old plan or try to find a new one.

I think most fasting methods should not be long-term. Once you reach your goal weight, it would be better to ease off the fasting. But that's just my opinion. My intermittent fasting friend still sticks to her fasting method even though she's at maintenance now.

It's also important to be careful with how you fast. You should build up to longer fasts and research how to come off of them safely. (As in, don't just suddenly try to fast for a full 24 hours and eat a huge meal once the time is up.)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    I very rarely eat breakfast, which I have now embraced because:
    - eating breakfast make me hungrier in the morning
    - breakfast calories make it harder to fit in a (satisfactory) lunch, dinner and evening snack

So I rarely eat breakfast, my first meal of the day is around noon-1pm and I stop eating at 11pm at the latest.
  • Nanaluvs2sweat
    Nanaluvs2sweat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started intermittent fasting in Jan this year. I’ve already lost 18 lbs. I do 18:6. I wanted to try this because I was never really hungry until late in the day anyway. But I had to change what I was eating and late night binging. I stick to 1500 cal a day, low carbs. Healthy calories. No junk. Lots of water and regular exercise. I don’t plan on ever changing once I reach my goal.
  • Jdubdub7
    Jdubdub7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Greetings-

I started IF last May. This has been a physical, spiritual and mental journey that I appreciate greatly. I'm a man who gets VERY hangry, so this felt very foreign to me at the start. The key for me was praying when I felt hungry. When I redirected my thoughts, it became very easy. I also gathered a group of men who helped keep me accountable, as well as checking in with me throughout the process. I started by skipping breakfast - only on Fridays. After a few weeks, this became extremely easy and I dropped breakfasts throughout the week (unless I'm truly hungry!). After another few weeks, I started doing 24hr fasts on Fridays. EZ!

Another key is to listen to your body. If you're truly hungry, then EAT! Hydrate like crazy too. I drink water, tea and coffee throughout my fasting times. When I started, I'd get a headache around hour 18-20, which usually prompted a quick cup of coffee - or I'd break the fast. Coincidentally, I just broke a 48hr fast, 5 hours early, due to overexertion - did a 30m stationary bike ride plus a ton of snow shoveling. No worries - no judgement. 8-)

Since May, I've started doing longer fasts. I've done 72hrs, but 48hrs seems to be my sweet spot. I have plenty of fat on me, so I don't fret much. It's kind of a roller coaster with the scale - due to eating whatever I want from time to time - but it's been a steady downward trajectory. Tomorrow, I should see the 180s for the first time in quite a while.

Bottom line - fasting has changed my life!! Best of all...it's FREE! 8-)

Finally, make sure you discuss longer fasts with a medical professional who can coach you through the process. You need to keep up your electrolytes - and your spirits! Get a group going. Life Fasting Tracker helps me quite a bit and offers some community. MFP is obviously amazing for it too.

All the best to you (and others who chimed in) on your journey!
    the dude

PS. SO many gems in the posts here -- building up over time, breakfast being most important meal, etc. Awesome posts, people!!
  • khcrmo
    khcrmo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you for all the imput guys!!!
    Im starting in with 16:8 and seeing how it goes. I have done full day fasts before (and some other variations) but only for spiritual reasons, so never as a long term commitment.

Im gonna give my self 2 weeks and see if its a doable way for me to manage my calories. I do have a good friend who is starting to try it right now too (which we didnt plan, just kind of found out about eachother!) So that will be good for support.

I am switching to tea in the morning instead of coffee, and if i really want my calorie filled sweet coffee in the afternoon ill have it. Hopefully this is something that makes cico easier for me to handle.

Good luck to all that have posted!