What is the most disturbing thing that society accepts as a normal behaviour?

Options

Replies

• iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    Just_Mel_ wrote: »
    It always bothers me when people share political memes or stories on Facebook and there's no factual basis. Like...don't yall know some Russian dude made that meme and now you're blindly sharing it as if it's truth? 🤦‍♀️

without getting *too* political i'd say this is mostly boomer tier memes for me, on either side of the aisle. like the kind your 50 year old uncle shares all the time. but that's all i really know is on fb at this point is boomer types anyhow.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    People who are really preoccupied and bothered by the way other people choose to take care of their appearance. Is your life so miserable that you need to pick on what people do to feel better about themselves? I guess I could also say women who don't support other women.

Ah, but that first bit goes both ways. Loads of us who wear no makeup (by choice or because we can't) get shamed by other women (and men) for not being "made up" or "not dressing up to impress a/your man". Frankly, tired of it.

Who says these things to you? I understand that there may be people rude like that, but im honestly curious who says these things directly to somebody?

I'm wondering the same thing. I had to counsel an employee like 15 years ago about this topic but it was because she was in a public facing position and would go from SUPER made-up (fake lashes, dramatic eye and lip, etc) to zero makeup and slicked back wet ponytail and for a super-formal office that was not working out. I can't imagine ANY other time it would be okay to bring up such things...
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    People who are really preoccupied and bothered by the way other people choose to take care of their appearance. Is your life so miserable that you need to pick on what people do to feel better about themselves? I guess I could also say women who don't support other women.

Ah, but that first bit goes both ways. Loads of us who wear no makeup (by choice or because we can't) get shamed by other women (and men) for not being "made up" or "not dressing up to impress a/your man". Frankly, tired of it.

Absolutely. I should have worded that differently. I just meant in general. People are just quick to judge on appearances. Who cares if someone wears makeup or they don't? Doesn't change the person. It all comes down to doing what makes us feel good about ourselves. Some people don't like wearing makeup and some do.

Totally. I think it's pretty on other people (most of the time) and I don't mind how it looks on me, but I was just never able to get over the feel of it on my face (even the tiniest amount feels really heavy on my skin for some reason). Also, I tend to get breakouts anytime immediately after wearing it, so.. I just avoid it (except when I'm in costume).

I'm perfectly content to let people do what they want to their face since it isn't mine. :tongue:
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    It always bothers me when people share political memes or stories on Facebook and there's no factual basis. Like...don't yall know some Russian dude made that meme and now you're blindly sharing it as if it's truth? 🤦‍♀️

without getting *too* political i'd say this is mostly boomer tier memes for me, on either side of the aisle. like the kind your 50 year old uncle shares all the time. but that's all i really know is on fb at this point is boomer types anyhow.

Ugh. Try having multiple family members all around that age posting DIFFERENT (but still stupidly misinformed) memes daily... There's a reason I hide out and never am on FB except to chat with people through Messenger. :laugh:
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »

Who says these things to you? I understand that there may be people rude like that, but im honestly curious who says these things directly to somebody?

I'm wondering the same thing. I had to counsel an employee like 15 years ago about this topic but it was because she was in a public facing position and would go from SUPER made-up (fake lashes, dramatic eye and lip, etc) to zero makeup and slicked back wet ponytail and for a super-formal office that was not working out. I can't imagine ANY other time it would be okay to bring up such things...

What’s the problem?
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Absolutely. I should have worded that differently. I just meant in general. People are just quick to judge on appearances. Who cares if someone wears makeup or they don't? Doesn't change the person. It all comes down to doing what makes us feel good about ourselves. Some people don't like wearing makeup and some do.

Totally. I think it's pretty on other people (most of the time) and I don't mind how it looks on me, but I was just never able to get over the feel of it on my face (even the tiniest amount feels really heavy on my skin for some reason). Also, I tend to get breakouts anytime immediately after wearing it, so.. I just avoid it (except when I'm in costume).

I'm perfectly content to let people do what they want to their face since it isn't mine. :tongue:

You should have seen me trying to draw myself some eyebrows this morning 🤦‍♀️🤣 think I'll go without until they grow back 😆

Get 'em microbladed on. :smiley:
  • johnbtay3
    johnbtay3 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Nose picking in public
    Crop dusting someone
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Children owning cellphones.

Omg this drives me INSANE! Like half of my daughters THIRD GRADE class has their own cell phones. Wth?!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options

but if it's funny, then it doesn't matter if it's true

do people think those things are true???
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options

but if it's funny, then it doesn't matter if it's true

do people think those things are true???

my entire extended family. Yep. Confirmation bias x10000000 these days.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    ok...add that to the list of disturbing things...people that believe things with no facts and who don't even sanity check things much less fact check them...