Are you a prelogger or do you log as you go?

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I pre log then make adjustments in the evening as needed.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I almost never prelog: I'm an impulsive person, with variable exercise, and prelogging doesn't suit. That said, my breakfasts and lunches have certain patterns (saved as meals), because I'm still semi-comatose and on autopilot then. Dinner & snacks, not so much.

I think the value of prelogging or not is a personality and self-insight kind of thing, not a universal. YMMV. ;)
  • loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    To keep on track I kind of have to pre-log. Otherwise I would run the risk of getting to 4pm and having no more calories left for dinner. But I do leave it a bit flexible and make changes later, but I will know for example if I'm going to have a glass of wine with dinner or not.
  • RoseyandReady
    RoseyandReady Posts: 256 Member
    Log as I go. I eat a lot of meals that I have cooked and froze so I know generally what is going to fit in to my log.
  • Khartman6
    Khartman6 Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2020
    I do a combo of both. I enter my info in the evening. My diet is very structured and i know what my last 2 meals will be. So, the first 4 meals are typically entered after I already have eaten them. The last 2 are entered prior. No real reason, other then timing.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Sometimes I wish I pre-logged, but I know myself well enough and I know the sure-fire way for me to not want to eat something is to pre-log it!

I very, very rarely eat breakfast and my lunches tend to be fairly formulaic based on a few variables but only around 200-250 cals.

This leaves me room to be fairly spontaneous when it comes to dinner. I often ‘plan’ in my head, but very infrequently actually stick to that plan when it comes to it! As a vegetarian, I also cook for a meat eating husband and a picky grown daughter who like to eat at different times so by the time I get to dealing with myself I often just opt for easy and quick!

Best laid plans...😂
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Prelog what I am considering to see if I can "afford" it and change if I cannot. One meal at a time usually
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited February 2020
    When I log my morning coffee I'll tend to fill in what I expect I'll be eating for the rest of the day as I'll generally have a good idea of what I'll feel like eating.

It means I only have to log once a day so logging becomes a 30-60sec task. It also gives me a good view of my calories for the day up front and lets me know if I have some wiggle room in order to treat myself should I feel the need.

If my reality deviates significantly from my plan then I'll pop in and update as needed but even if I don't eat exactly what I planned I tend to just let it go as long as I know what I logged and what I now plan to eat are both relatively close in calories. For example one of premade frozen meals I enjoy is 825cal. I also know that a regular order from a local restaurant comes to about 790cal. If I pre-log one and change my mind and eat the other then I'll tend to just leave it as is, because for my purposes the calories are close enough and I don't monitor macros.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Never the day before but sometimes at work I'll do the lunch when I'm logging breakfast because I know what I'm having exactly for lunch because it's all pre made and set up.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Usually log after I eat unless I know 4 sure what I am going 2 eat for a meal, which only happens when I cook at home
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Both, really. I have the same thing for breakfast and lunch most days, so pre-logging those is easy. Dinner...sometimes I prelog so that I know what my day roughly looks like, then I update the details afterwards. Sometimes I don't plan it at all, and just adjust what i feel like eating to meet my needs. Ditto snacks.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Log meals and exercise after, weight once a day when I wake up.
  • I prelog.

I know what I'm eating because I make a five week meal plan for my family. The lunches repeat; Monday is a chicken quesadilla, Tuesday is hamburgers, etc. So all those are, by now, in my database. I also know what it is that I'm going to have for dinner.

So I prelog, putting in dinner first, then lunch, then breakfast, then snacks as needed to land me close to but not over my calories for the day.

I don't need to be in the habit of snacking. If I need a snack to get through to dinner, it's because lunch was a little lighter weight (Grilled chicken sandwich, let's say.) And I want to know what I can have, and that way I don't have to worry because I won't eat too much in my snack. I like knowing in advance what I can eat. Thus, prelogging works for me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    When I started I pre-logged everything. It was an effective way to teach me how to make better choices on food and portions. Over time I graduated to a hybrid system of some of both. Now on routine days I can log well after the meal is done because I have it down. On days I will be eating food I do not know as well I will still pre-log as needed.

I am not sure what the purpose of this thread is. If it is idle chat about who does what that is fine. If it is an attempt to identify "best practices" there is no such thing when it comes to logging styles. Ease and effectiveness are all that matters and that is for each person to decide.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited February 2020
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Back when I used to log, I did a mix. I prelogged parts of my day then left some blanks. Even if I prelogged I would change things around as I went quite frequently.

^^This. I usually have breakfast, lunch, and snack figured out, so prelog those foods. Then I will at the least prelog a “quick add” of 550 calories for Dinner and 350 for After Dinner Snack, just so I have the planned calories straight. Then I log the real food for these as I figure it out.
  • BlueCanyonKid
    BlueCanyonKid Posts: 2 Member
    I use My Fitness Pal to keep track of the amount of calcium I consume each day, so I log a couple of times a day and by evening I know if I have to supplement the consumed calcium with some or all of calcium tablets. (I don't take more than 100% because of the possibility of forming stones from too much calcium). I started this when I was taking steroids to treat Polymyalgia rheumatica; the Prednisone has been tapered off for a long time now, but you can't build calcium in your bones when taking steroids so My Fitness Pal was a life (and bone) saver. Now as I look at a diagnosis of osteopenia I go to the gym and do weight-bearing exercise and keep tracking calcium with daily logging because it's a good habit to keep going.
  • hereinmissouri
    hereinmissouri Posts: 11 Member
    I weigh out and prelog breakfast, lunch and my snacks for work. Dinner and weekends I log as I go.
  • BradOWGolf
    BradOWGolf Posts: 13 Member
    Log as I go, use the phone app regularly... what is harder for me is less than a serving size estimates... i.e. if I snag a handful of almonds and then trying to calibrate what percentage that is of a serving.
  • mgfit2020
    mgfit2020 Posts: 10 Member
    I loosely pre-log my 3 main meals either the morning of or the night before, leaving 300-500cal gap for snacks and adjustments. Then during the day I adjust things as I eat, and actually weigh/measure things. I find if I don't pre-log I have a tendency to end up at dinnertime with less calories available than I'd like, or no room for snacks (I love snacking--always have, always will, not something I'm willing to give up, so working it into my plans instead of trying to work against it is what works for me)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I pre-log during the work week, but tend to be more free-form during the weekend.

I do one thing which I haven't heard discussed elsewhere - I log today's dinner for tomorrow. I do this because 95% of the time Mrs Jruzer is preparing dinner, and I don't know what's on the menu or how calorific it will be. This way I can successfully pre-log for tomorrow, because I already logged dinner, the largest piece of the puzzle.