Gastric Sleeve - Your thoughts and opinions or your very own experience?

Replies

• Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    My brother has one.

He needed a kick start to losing he was well over 300 lbs, he had tried WW and personal trainer but he just wasn't sticking to a plan. Before getting the band he had to go to a nutritionist and follow a very strict diet.

It's been about 8 years and he has managed to keep the weight off, but it takes a lot of effort. He still follows a strict meal plan, doesn't drink and he exercises regularly. It's not an easy solution, it takes work
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I had a friend who did this. She was fat again 18 months later. If you do it, you must be as committed to eating right and working out as if you did not have the surgery and were doing it without the intervention. If you are unsure about being able to do this, try seeing a nutritionist or a therapist to prevent you from backsliding.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would think this surgery would only be as a last resort and/or if it was necessary to get down to a healthy weight quickly due to other medical issues...but I can't really say I know a lot about it. Just from what I know of surgery in general, it's typically a last resort when other less drastic measures have failed or there is no other option at all.

I agree!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Try following the recommended post-surgery diet for a month and see how that goes. Plenty of published info out there if you google it.

I lost more than you have to lose in less than a year w/o a thought of surgery, and I'm also shorter than you. Just have to get your head in the game. I was barely 110# in my mid-twenties & ballooned to 230# by my mid-thirties. Surgery is invasive and not something I'd voluntarily put myself through unless it was life/death.

Good luck.

It's a VLCD usually 500-800 calories a day. I would not try it unless you are under a doctor's supervision. Post-surgery, this smaller amount of calories fills you up, and you likely won't be hungry. On that small number of calories now, you likely would be.

You can, as you food prep (or you could food prep just this) google it, and look at what the amount actually is. You'll need to be really intentional and disciplined about your food choices to make sure you're getting the nutrition you need. And that totally works for some folks! You and your doctor can talk about if it's right for you.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I"m with the others - talk to those who've had it done several years ago to get a realistic view of what life is like post surgery.

I'm not completely against WLS, but I am against it being pushed as a first line solution. My brother and sister-in-law had it done 2 years ago. They've both kept the weight off mostly so far, but she's starting to gain it back because she can eat what she wants and is returning to her old habits. My brother has stalled out and regained some, so he's now trying a different diet plan. My cousin had the sleeve 2 years ago as well, and she too has stalled out and started regaining as her stomach healed and she could tolerate a wider variety of foods.

Neither my cousin nor my sister-in-law have had complications that I know of, but my brother is dealing with a sharp increase in the frequency of kidney stones. He already had a genetic tendency to getting them, but since he's had the surgery and can't get in the amount of liquid that he used to drink to keep his kidneys flushed, he's getting them a lot more often now and bigger in size.

Everyone is different, and some have different needs. If your weight is causing severe medical problems, I think its an option to be considered, but you've got to understand that you still have to learn to eat differently and break those old habits if you want any long term success.

My sister, at 265 lbs and 5 ft 1 would be a very good candidate for the surgery with all the medical problems she has, but I don't push because she has clearly stated that she has no intention of learning to limit her food intake. I had her here at MFP for about a month, and she lost 10 lbs, but would not stick to her deficit, claiming she was "starving" herself. She refuses to pay attention to portion sizes and wants to eat as much as she wants when she wants, so there is no point in her even considering the expense of the surgery because with that attitude, she's guaranteed to fail.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    edited February 2020
    My diary is public. Please feel free to look back and see what it's actually like. October 28th is when I started my dietician supervised diet. I started my pre-op liquid diet December 10th. Surgery December 24th. Currently 7 weeks post op.

Edited for incorrect date
  • Nanaluvs2sweat
    Nanaluvs2sweat Posts: 97 Member
    My aunt did this and ended up gaining most of the weight back. Why? Because she refused to change her unhealthy habits. Unless you change your mindset and learn good and healthy behavior then you’re doomed to fail. I will never understand why people would rather go through with surgery instead of just making healthy lifestyle changes but I wish you the best regardless.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    A close friend did this. She did not have a good outcome.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Personally, I do not endorse WLS. There are too many changes to how your body needs to get nutrients. Risks of ulcer, osteoporosis, anemia, vitamin deficiency, protein malnutrition are some of the side effects that can be serious. I have two family members who had it, who suffered years of ill health.
  • InstepFitness
    InstepFitness Posts: 37 Member
    edited February 2020
    Hi! I had a gastric sleeve in Tijuana Mexico! WWW.Weightlossagents.com it's only $3,500 and they have payment plans. Best decision of my life. Diabetes, goodbye is what the doctor told us, no more threats of it and no more chub rub lol!