BF Estimate and Suggestion

13»

Replies

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    dpr73 wrote: »
    Excellent advice above. I believe OP understands the mechanics, I think he needs the motivation and support from us!

This is exactly what I need! Thank you. I just need to know the reality of what to expect which I’m sure is no where near as bad as I think it is...

Take it week by week. You can adjust as you go man, it won't be all that bad.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Also @jseams1234 what is a DYEL hahaha
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member

Do You Even Lift... just a snarky perjorative used on bodybuilding forums. ;)

It’s how most of us feel we look at the bottom of a cut in street clothes. You can have a pretty aesthetic physique naked but still look like you don’t lift in clothes - it’s a problem we’ve all experienced. Only solution is “moar mass” which becomes a never ending obsession. lol

• dpr73
    Can someone examine my weight trend and tell me whether I need to increase calories further? I’m conflicted about whether I am gaining or if I am stalled.
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Do You Even Lift... just a snarky perjorative used on bodybuilding forums. ;)

It’s how most of us feel we look at the bottom of a cut in street clothes. You can have a pretty aesthetic physique naked but still look like you don’t lift in clothes - it’s a problem we’ve all experienced. Only solution is “moar mass” which becomes a never ending obsession. lol

This....this is reality :D It's just the way this game is!

• giancarlov1191
    Can someone examine my weight trend and tell me whether I need to increase calories further? I’m conflicted about whether I am gaining or if I am stalled.

So you're going to fluctuate up and down every day, that's normal. What I do is weigh daily and average it out once a week (each sunday) and compare it to last weeks average.
  • jseams1234

What I do is weight myself every week - same time, same day. If I see no gain for more than a couple of weeks I'll adjust a couple of hundred calories up. If I see a loss of more than a pound week to week I'll also adjust up. The problem with a "lean" bulk is that generally people try to keep their surplus very minimal - like around 200 calories or less a day... and that's tricky. The margin for error when it comes to food entries and even the variance between absorption rates between individuals can make that minor of a surplus hard to nail down. It's another reason that lean bulks are so slow in my opinion. Half the time we think we are in a surplus we are probobly really at maintenance or even in a deficit. There is no easy answer - you just stick with it and hope that long term the trend continues upward or you bang in more calories and deal with the extra fat gain.

Unlike cutting - bulking efficiently requires a constant positive balance to stay in an anabolic state. Cutting gives you more wiggle room. You can be over one day but as long as you are in a deficit over time the weight comes off. Bulking requires more of a steady-state requirement as shifting into a deficit while you are trying to maximize protein synthesis isn't usually going to have a positive outcome.
  • dpr73
    Hey guys,
    One more final question. I hear the term NOOB gains thrown around in reference to new lifters in a bulk. I have been lifting 7 years and in the first year I spent my initial stages of lifting losing over 70lbs to get to my current weight.
    Two summers following, I did try a bulk and gained over 10lbs to 148 over three months but promptly lost it somewhat unintentionally. I didn’t make massive strength gains or anything and have a mild sense I put in a good bit of water rather than real weight...
    Does that count as a bulk and did I waste NOOB gains by that lousy bulk attempt followed by subsequent unintentional cut?
  • giancarlov1191
    If you haven't done a proper, long-term muscle building program with proper diet geared towards gaining, you may still have some some room for that but I wouldn't hold too much stock in it, it really varies per person and situation.
  • dpr73
    If you haven't done a proper, long-term muscle building program with proper diet geared towards gaining, you may still have some some room for that but I wouldn't hold too much stock in it, it really varies per person and situation.

Ok. I mean I did attempt to eat in a surplus but I just am unsure how much I really GAINED from the bulk. I probably did gain something I suppose. I guess it does really hardly matter, as I am still setting goals for this bulk and will follow through on it.
  • giancarlov1191
    Sounds good man. Stay committed and work hard and you will definitely see gains. Take regular pictures for yourself too, it's the best way to see progress over time.
  • jseams1234
    Hey guys,
    One more final question. I hear the term NOOB gains thrown around in reference to new lifters in a bulk. I have been lifting 7 years and in the first year I spent my initial stages of lifting losing over 70lbs to get to my current weight.
    Two summers following, I did try a bulk and gained over 10lbs to 148 over three months but promptly lost it somewhat unintentionally. I didn’t make massive strength gains or anything and have a mild sense I put in a good bit of water rather than real weight...
    Does that count as a bulk and did I waste NOOB gains by that lousy bulk attempt followed by subsequent unintentional cut?

I've always looked at it as how far are you away from your genetic limits (as a natural, or course). I've seen guys who either didn't train properly or eat properly get things together and make some pretty dramatic gains in mass very quickly even though they had enough time in the gym that you would think they would have exhausted traditional "noob gains".

"If you’ve been following a poorly designed diet or training plan, you can make newbie-like gains even if you’ve been training for years."

https://legionathletics.com/newbie-gains/
  • dpr73 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I haven’t reread all the thread but my impression is that you have not been running a consistent effective hypertrophy programme (focusing on progressive overload) for a decent period of time. If I have remembered correctly then yes. You do still have noobie gains left. The term is an art not an exact science but I’ve heard people say up to a year of consistent lifting is the noobie period.

Apologies if u am confusing you with another poster.