Keto ?

Options
Tips about the keto diet ? I been doing it for almost a month , but I think the fact that I run is why I'm losing weight , the keto diet just makes me feel almost overwhelmed with he amount of fat(s) you have to consume. I don't I'm not that experienced with the keto diet .

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    There are a couple groups here you might join for tips.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto -Just keto
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum -All low-carb but large pop. of keto folk

Whether or not you are interested in a group, you should read the Reddit Keto FAQ (it's fantastic.)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

To answer your question in the OP, the FAQ aptly reports:
    Do I need to hit my fat macro?
    If you are doing keto for weight loss, no. A common misconception about the keto diet is that one must consume a lot of fat. The keto diet is a high fat diet, but if you are doing keto for weight loss a portion of that fat is going to come from your body. You may commonly see it said on this subreddit that fat is a lever/meant to keep keep you full. Your body can't get all of its energy from stored body fat though, so be sure to consume at least 30g-50g of fat per day.

If you are doing keto and struggling to lose weight, fat is the first thing that should be cut. This article is a good place to start for ways/reasons to reduce your fat intake.

A macros tl;dr:
    Carbs are a limit. They are the only macro that meaningfully impact ketosis. There is no minimum carb intake.

Protein is a goal. Protein is vital. Unlike carbs and fat your body cannot store protein. This is why you need to prioritize hitting your protein macro every day.

Fat is to satiate. Fat is what you use for energy on a ketogenic diet, but if you're trying to burn body fat you don't need to hit your fat macro. Just eat enough of it so that you feel full. (*They have one of the words in the sentence linked to an article. You can go to the FAQ to view it.)

But I always say:
    • Stay under carbs.
    • Get enough protein for your height, weight, activity level.
    • Fill the rest of your cals with fat.

You don't NEED to add fat to everything.
    Cook veggies and meat in some fat. Have a little cheese and cream in sauces. Ta. Da. You're there.
    If you need to gain weight or maintain, adding extra oil/butter, cream, cheese, nuts, and/or use fattier meats. So alternately to decrease your calories, decrease your fat while still prioritizing protein and keeping the carbs where they need to be. Fat is the thing to change to manipulate cal. So you see, while the fat % is "high" compared to other diets, it really not the end-all/be-all of the thing.

Macro percentages, IMO, are only helpful if you are doing medically theraputic keto. If you're just losing weight: carbs in grams, protein in grams (based on your stats as I said above), fill the rest of the calories with fat. Keto calcs can usually be used to help you figure protein out for your particular LBM. But I think the FAQ addresses protein well under "Protein and the Ketogenic Diet."

HTH. :smile:
  • ari_s97
    ari_s97 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Tips about the keto diet ? I been doing it for almost a month , but I think the fact that I run is why I'm losing weight , the keto diet just makes me feel almost overwhelmed with he amount of fat(s) you have to consume. I don't I'm not that experienced with the keto diet .

Hi! I would recommend tons of keto stuff and maybe try to join some groups. It is very helpful.