Meal kits: what's the point?

1234568»

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I don’t know why this got bumped but I did enjoy reading back through it for the LOLs and the hypocrisy.

Yes!! :laugh:
  • Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    edited February 2020
    Since people are coming back, I will put my reasons. I work and study and my husband is away half the time. This is what I get from meal kits:
    • Convenience - 4 meals a week that I don’t have to plan or shop for.
    • Variety - New recipes that I don’t have to search for or think about. I tend to cook things I know the children will eat, and I get bored, so it’s an easy way of trying new recipes.
    • A night off - meals that my children can cook without assistance. I mostly cook without recipes, and I adapt the meal kit recipes if I feel like it, but the children are starting to learn to cook, e.g. to turn raw mince into meatballs or hamburgers.
    • Value - it works out to about $7.50 per person per serve for a family of 5.

Since we’ve been using meal kits, there are things we have as staples in our pantry that we’d never had before, and things that I’ve cooked again by buying the ingredients myself, including tonight’s dinner.
  • karenscfld
    karenscfld Posts: 38 Member
    They're called "children". Many of us like to eat, but don't like to cook.

Yah, but you have to cook what is in the meal kit.
  • karenscfld
    karenscfld Posts: 38 Member
    I don't buy those meals in a box because I know myself and it would go to waste. I would not be in the mood for whatever food is in the box so I would not cook it. It would spoil. I buy lots of different meat and fish and keep it frozen. When it is meal time I fix what I'm in the mood for.