Ideal macros for losing weight fast?

So I am 312lbs and starting my weight loss journey. My goal is 250 within 6-7 months.

I have started walking three days a week + 20 minute workout 3 times a week.

I set my calories to 1800 per day which has been going great the last week - not hungry, no cravings, feel full. Yummy healthy food from an app called EMeals - nothing processed really - all fruits, veggies, protein basically, healthy fats, etc.

Wondering what the below macros should be at though for fast, steady, healthy weight loss:
Protein =
Fat =
Carbs =

Replies

• Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    As a former large person, I wish that I had paid more attention macros before starting weight loss. You can lose weight with any breakdown, as mentioned above, but you need to be mindful of where that weightloss is coming from. Having a higher % of your intake be protein will help you retain the most amount of muscle possible. For you, I'd aim to hit around 225-250g of protein a day. Protein, at 4cal/g would then be 900-1000 of your stated 1800. This is a rather high %, but keep in mind you will be eating back your exercise and that can be straight carbs/fats. This amount of protein plus a strength training regimen will keep those muscles your fat is hiding. Losing weight is great, but losing fat is what you are really trying to do. Until your body adjusts to the increased protein, I'd suggest a fiber supplement to help with constipation many people suffer from on a 40%+ protein diet. The rest of your calories can be split how you like. I'd go more fat and less carb, but some people really need those carbs to push them through their exercise.
  • Aela1942
    Aela1942 Posts: 1 Member
    My doctor suggested I do a moderate, low carb diet, with macros set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat because it's about a lifestyle change not just a quick fix, but this seems to make people loose weight, and is maintainable later on, too. Hope this helps.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    there really is no secret other than staying at a calorie deficit, day in and day out. Weigh everything you eat on a food scale and be consistent. That's it! Simple, straightforward and it works. Although I wouldn't recommend this as a diet, you can lose weight eating fast food every day if that's what you want.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    As a former large person, I wish that I had paid more attention macros before starting weight loss. You can lose weight with any breakdown, as mentioned above, but you need to be mindful of where that weightloss is coming from. Having a higher % of your intake be protein will help you retain the most amount of muscle possible. For you, I'd aim to hit around 225-250g of protein a day. Protein, at 4cal/g would then be 900-1000 of your stated 1800. This is a rather high %, but keep in mind you will be eating back your exercise and that can be straight carbs/fats. This amount of protein plus a strength training regimen will keep those muscles your fat is hiding. Losing weight is great, but losing fat is what you are really trying to do. Until your body adjusts to the increased protein, I'd suggest a fiber supplement to help with constipation many people suffer from on a 40%+ protein diet. The rest of your calories can be split how you like. I'd go more fat and less carb, but some people really need those carbs to push them through their exercise.

There is no need or additional benefit for that high an amount of protein. .8 grams of ideal body weight is plenty. If there is a preference for more, that is fine but there is no additional benefit.
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    I have mine set to 10% carbs.

We are eating a low carb / keto meal plan from EMeals which I absolutely love so far.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Do the Emeals have the rest of the macros set? Whatever that is would likely be fine (as would most any macros you feel comfortable and satisfied with).

I would recommend aiming for about 0.8 g of protein per lb of a healthy goal weight, but likely the meals have that much protein already.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    Wondering what the below macros should be at though for fast, steady, healthy weight loss

Fast isn't necessarily healthy, or durable.

Unless you have medical reasons justifying fast weight loss, I would suggest that 'slow and steady wins the race'. (Although people who have more weight to lose can stand a faster weight loss rate than people with less to lose.)

As for macros, I would emphasize sufficient protein to minimize loss of lean tissue. Aside from that, find a way that satisfies you (satiety and food you enjoy), there is no one size fits all.