Treadmill question

Hey guys I just started going to the gym and I feel I need hold on to the railibgs6 I feel like if I don't I'm fall and break my neck. I been watching some you tube videos it says not to do it. I don't lean I always stand up straight but I don't wanna hurt myself any advice? I usually walk from 30-35. Does everyone think im stupid because I have too😞

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Hold on until you’re comfortable. Try starting off slower til you can let go and increase your speed gradually.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    At what speed do you have the treadmill? Do, you think you might be more at ease walking at a slower pace, and building?
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Even at 20 I don't feel confortable main reason is I'm accident prone😬
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    There are no railings on sidewalks, do you fall an break your neck on them? Seriously though, treadmills can feel weird at first. Start off slow and at a low incline and gradually build up pace etc as your comfort level increases. Patience & consistency......
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    You're not weird. :) I hold on too and probably always will. At 66, I don't need a trip to the hospital for broken anything, in my quest for better health.
    Not to be snarky, but are there real benefits to not holding on? Maybe a few extra calories burned? I'm simply curious. And walking outside is a whole different ballgame then walking on a narrow conveyor belt. :) If I had to start off slow to feel comfortable walking without the handles, I'd be stuck at 2 mph. This way I'm walking 4-4.2 mph comfortably and confidently.
    JMO so no, OP, you are NOT alone. :)
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    There are no railings on sidewalks, do you fall an break your neck on them? Seriously though, treadmills can feel weird at first. Start off slow and at a low incline and gradually build up pace etc as your comfort level increases. Patience & consistency......

I've falling up the stairs before so yes😂
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Start out very slowly...like 1mph without holding on the railings, build your confidence and add speed from there. As a runner, I sometimes have to use a treadmill to get in adequate training, but I STILL have nightmares about falling (flying/rolling) off.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I don’t often use a treadmill but I usually try to at least have one hand resting on the railing since I am also accident prone. I start at a slow pace and increase a little at a time. Most of the treadmills I use also have a “stop” tether that I clip to my shirt. It stops the treadmill when it becomes detached because I’ve slipped too far back in the machine.