Not losing

Options
Ok so the first week but doing this I lost potentially 2-3lb although I didn't technically way before I started, just know what I was a couple of weeks ago.

Since then I've been about 200 calories under everyday when I take into account my steps feed from Google Fit. I'm due to weigh tomorrow but at the moment it doesn't look like I'm going to lose anything.

I guess there will be weeks when you don't lose

Replies

• stuarta99
    stuarta99 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. Just case of knowing what I'm doing is correct I guess. I've got a goal of 1500 and earn couple hundred from steps each day and fall short by about 100-200 each day.

Definitely make me think more about what I eat
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Assuming your male?
    How old are you? What is you current weight and height? 1500 is the bare minimum for men, so you don't need to be under that every day.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If you didn't weigh when you started then you've no way of really knowing.
  • stuarta99
    Options
    Ok so I'm 43, 5ft 7 and currently weighing 11st. My weight had been pretty consistent for a long time at 11st 2-3 so that's what I started with
  • stuarta99
    Options
    Just been playing with the goals because I've only set it to lose 2lbs/week and a target of 10st 5. If I put it to maintain weight I have a goal of 1950 calories
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Well, you won't know for sure until you weigh in... remember, it's hard to see a few pound loss in the mirror. But quick question... do you log everything that passes your lips? And do you weigh your food, versus eye-ball the serving sizes or use the "serving size" on the food labels? Believe it or not, a one cup dry measure can weigh over or under the listed gram size, compared to another measuring cup. For instance, I have one measuring cup that is suppose to measure 1/2 cup... but it actually holds 5 ounces weighed, instead of 4. Those inaccurate measures can lead to a very frustrating weight loss experience. 😉
  • stuarta99
    Options
    poisonesse wrote: »
    Well, you won't know for sure until you weigh in... remember, it's hard to see a few pound loss in the mirror. But quick question... do you log everything that passes your lips? And do you weigh your food, versus eye-ball the serving sizes or use the "serving size" on the food labels? Believe it or not, a one cup dry measure can weigh over or under the listed gram size, compared to another measuring cup. For instance, I have one measuring cup that is suppose to measure 1/2 cup... but it actually holds 5 ounces weighed, instead of 4. Those inaccurate measures can lead to a very frustrating weight loss experience. 😉

Pretty much weigh everything or take from what it says on the packet and if anything I'm probably over budgeting rather than under.

As long as my calorie goal is correct for my stats. Not doing any exercise but for instance today I'm on

1500 - 996 food - 88 exercise (346 steps) leaving 1042. That's taking into account roast pork and frozen roast potatoes. Will have to eat some more but normally ending the day about 100-200 short.
  • stuarta99
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Ok thanks so what's the suggestion? Stay at 1500 goal? Can't imagine I could eat enough to do the 1950 goal of maintaining
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You’ve indicated you’ve set MFP to lose weight. If that’s the case, you should not be trying to leave additional calories at the end of the day because your deficit is built in.

1200 calories/day is as low as MFP will go for calories for women. You might not lose 2 pounds per week as the calories to achieve that might be lower. 2 pounds a week is pretty aggressive and is often too much for many folks, we just pick it because we want to lose the weight as fast as possible. I started out that way.

And it’s about more than not being hungry. It’s about getting adequate nutrition (which includes calories, vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc.).
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    stuarta99 wrote: »
    poisonesse wrote: »

Pretty much weigh everything or take from what it says on the packet and if anything I'm probably over budgeting rather than under.

As long as my calorie goal is correct for my stats. Not doing any exercise but for instance today I'm on

1500 - 996 food - 88 exercise (346 steps) leaving 1042. That's taking into account roast pork and frozen roast potatoes. Will have to eat some more but normally ending the day about 100-200 short.

The 88 exercise calories for 346 steps seems high to me. I get 250-300 for 10,000 steps and I am set at sedentary.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    Options
    The calculation there doesn't make sense to me @Psychgrrl or involves a double adjustment for exercise and steps (as opposed to that being the number of steps).

In any case Google fit would be a tdee adjustment. (And Google fit for me is incredibly innacurate and underestimates my calories by over 17%!!)

Also I thought op is male?

To the op. If you're weighing outside the house you will have a hard time seeing this more changes you need to make to slowly trend towards your desired weight.

Based on what you've said you ought to be aiming to lose about half to a quarter pound per week. Which corresponds to creating a deficit of 500 to 250 Cal a day.

Your mfp goal already includes your selected deficit. It does not include the exercise you said you were going to do.
    It does include the activity level you selected. However you selecting it does not make that an accurate activity level! To log accurately you probably need to weigh your food. I do not necessarily think that you *need* to log with complete accuracy in order to effectively create the mild caloric deficit you need to create in order to slowly trend towards your desired weight.

Your weight trend shows you your weight level. Single samples taken a week apart have a harder time showing you your trend since any one of them could be an atypical low or high
  • stuarta99
    Options
    Never taken any notice and just wanted to get some weight down a bit and thought I would give this a go and just set the figure as a default really to see what happens and to monitor what I'm eating. My weight had stayed stable at that level for a while. Also trying to be motivation for my wife as well to start.

Sounds as though that what I was eating still had some margin in it before I would put on weight and as mentioned it really doesn't feel I've altered much because when weighing portions, it's pretty much portions we have anyway. I feel I've eaten sufficiently today and even a couple of chocolates tonight and still 180 calories under when taking into account the extra that's been added.

With regards the steps and exercise, it's just what Google Fit is bringing across, now at 879 steps with 185 calories.

I guess I just leave it like this a couple of weeks and see what happens.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    The typical advice is to use four to six week intervals and monitor how many calories out and calories in you have logged and how your weight trend has changed over that time frame. The time frame is so as to include a full monthly cycle for women, males may be able to get meaningful results in 3 weeks.

Each one pound change in weight trend is assumed to be about 3,500 calories of energy imbalance.

You compare expected results to actual and adjust!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    The number of steps seems suitable for someone who has not left the house today. Is this the case or are your steps underestimated?