September Shred - RED TEAM! **CLOSED GROUP**

Options

Replies

• klsnell1981
    klsnell1981 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What kind of toning exercises are you all going to be doing? I'm kind of lost there...

i go to gold's gym where they have a "60 second circuit" it's 12 machines that work every major muscle in the body, you do 1 machine nonstop for 60 sec, then move to the next. I usually break mine down into upper and lower body, then do 2 rounds of all the applicable machines.
  • mama_gee
    Options
    Start weight 203.

Anyways, I'm Ashley [Kelly's Cousin] I'm 5'7" ans started out at 215 pounds. Got down to 199 about 2 weeks ago, but a lot has been going on and I lost a bit of motivation. When I weighed in just 10 minutes ago, I was happy that I'd only gained 4 pounds. I mostly do cardio as far as working out. Very little toning right now, but looks like I am going to have to change that. I start school in like 5 days, and they have a gym so hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of that. Good luck ladies.

Also, do you want pictures? or no?
  • kelleman1
    kelleman1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I got my 30 minutes in today, and it was 30 minutes of toning! I'm not used to do that, so I'm glad to have one out of the way.

I also wanted to add: Don't be discouraged if you've found that you've gained a little or stayed the same at the end of this first week. That's one reason getting your water in this week is so important, especially if you haven't been working out much. You body, your muscles, in particular, is going to want to hold on to water during the first week or so if you're changing up what you normally do.
    What kind of toning exercises are you all going to be doing? I'm kind of lost there...

Kelleman1,

I don't know if you're a member of a gym or not, but if you are, I'd start with the weight machines. You can do 2-3 exercises for each muscle group for a total body workout, taking at least 60 seconds rest between sets and about a minute and a half rest between muscle groups. If a total-body seems overwhelming, concentrate your sessions on one muscle group at a time. I have a trustworthy diet & exercise book that suggests breaking your sessions into upper body (chest, shoulders, back, triceps, biceps) and lower body (quadriceps, hamstrings, calves), then doing core exercises after your lower body segment.

If you're not a member of a gym, I'd recommend doing calisthenic-type stuff like push-ups, tricep bench dips, crunches, etc. The forums around here contain a lot of different exercises to get you going. Good luck and this challenge is going to be great! Thanks for hosting.

See_Jenn_Run

Thanks, Jenn. I don't belong to a gym, but my husband and I have some work out equipment. I messed around with the weights today and did what felt like I was working out something, lol. I wasn't feeling a lot in my back or chest, I'll have to ask him to show me some different exercises. Then I did some crunches and hip/leg lifts and all that. Thanks for all the ideas, it really helps!
    startign weight for todat officially sept. 1 is . . .259.3, three pounds down from a couple days ago! So excited for the first new challenge, I don't use weights because I work with my own body weight (that alone is like lifting weights) but I do toning exercise with my own body weight, can't wait to meet this first challenge of 5X a week! Big change from my 3X a week. good luck, hope everyone is losers!

That's great, Kay! And like I think I commented before, do some low intensity workouts, like 30 minutes of fast paced walking :) I think people often forget that walking is a great workout (I know I do!)

i go to gold's gym where they have a "60 second circuit" it's 12 machines that work every major muscle in the body, you do 1 machine nonstop for 60 sec, then move to the next. I usually break mine down into upper and lower body, then do 2 rounds of all the applicable machines.

That's great! I'll have to ask my husband how to manipulate what we have to increase the range of muscles I'm targeting.

Start weight 203.

Anyways, I'm Ashley [Kelly's Cousin] I'm 5'7" ans started out at 215 pounds. Got down to 199 about 2 weeks ago, but a lot has been going on and I lost a bit of motivation. When I weighed in just 10 minutes ago, I was happy that I'd only gained 4 pounds. I mostly do cardio as far as working out. Very little toning right now, but looks like I am going to have to change that. I start school in like 5 days, and they have a gym so hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of that. Good luck ladies.

Also, do you want pictures? or no?

Glad to see you here, Ashley! I know you've had a lot to deal with :flowerforyou:

I mostly do cardio, too, so this toning stuff is going to be different. I do hope you can take advantage of the gym.

Pictures are great! I was actually thinking that we should all take a picture today and another one when it's over. What do you all think??

ETA: are you really 3 inches taller than I am?!!? :laugh:
  • kelleman1
    Options
    also, how do we figure out how many calories we burned while doing these toning exercises? :huh:

Or maybe you don't factor those in? I've never had to account for these exercises before :laugh:
  • kelleman1
    Options
    StartingWeights-3.jpg
  • mama_gee
    Options
    Glad to see you here, Ashley! I know you've had a lot to deal with :flowerforyou:

I mostly do cardio, too, so this toning stuff is going to be different. I do hope you can take advantage of the gym.

Pictures are great! I was actually thinking that we should all take a picture today and another one when it's over. What do you all think??

ETA: are you really 3 inches taller than I am?!!? :laugh:

I was just wondering about the pictures. I took some already for a weight loss challenge I'm hosting on my parenting site. I know some people are comfortable with that, some of the girls in my thread were worried and I said they didn't have to show any skin or anything. I think pictures are great because they show progress that you don't see.
  • mama_gee
    Options
    Anyways. I already had my pictures. I use the Picnik collage feature to get the side by side.
    2hhmbg0.jpg
  • Kaycurrier
    Options
    I am so not technologically savvy, but I would like to post pictures
  • mama_gee
    Options

You use the [ img ]---[ /img ] code from Photobucket or Tinypic. With Tinypic you'll have to make the lowercase because it's capitalized and it won't work.
  • kelleman1
    Options
    [/quote]
    I think pictures are great because they show progress that you don't see.
    [/quote]

Very true. Thanks for posting your pictures!

Kay: It's not very hard to post pictures. When you're ready, let us know and we'll walk you through it.
  • loristroud
    loristroud Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ddmkow.jpg (right click to view full image)
  • kelleman1
    Options
    very nice, loristroud!

If you haven't gotten those starting weights in, don't forget about it!

I'll take my pictures before bed.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I am doing 30 Day Shred. That's close to 30 minutes if you include the warm up and cool down and it's cardio plus strength so does that cover all of my bases?
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    8 glasses of water, and an hour and a half of strength and cardio! Day one...exhausted. :smile:
  • Kaycurrier
    Options

You use the [ img ]---[ /img ] code from Photobucket or Tinypic. With Tinypic you'll have to make the lowercase because it's capitalized and it won't work.

thank you, I never thought of that!
  • kelleman1
    Options
    I am doing 30 Day Shred. That's close to 30 minutes if you include the warm up and cool down and it's cardio plus strength so does that cover all of my bases?

I think so!

Ken: great job!
  • kelleman1
    Options
    My picture! My full length mirror isn't dirty, it just sucks. They just painted our bathroom this week and I didn't realize how dirty the mirror was. oh well! :laugh:

Right click and view in new tab if they are too big! (i resized, waiting on photobucket to catch up!)

Here is kind of a before pic, not a very good angle:

before-1.jpg

longviewsept1.jpg

shortviewsept1.jpg
  • Straitfanatic
    Options
    I started the 30 day shred yesterday & it kicked my butt. I hadn't exercised for 3 weeks & I probably should have started off with my WII Excercises first.
  • Straitfanatic
    Options
    I started the 30 day shred yesterday & it kicked my butt. I hadn't exercised for 3 weeks & I probably should have started off with my WII Excercises first.

OOPS...I accidently posted it twice.
  • smc_125
    Options
    Hello All! I'm sorry for the late post. I am 28 years old and I'm 5'3 and 140 pounds. I've always played sports throughout my life, including rugby in college. This has always helped me stay fit, healthy, and strong and I always felt really good about myself. I left college at a very fit, muscular 130 pounds six years ago. Since college I have slowly put on weight, lost muscle, and gained fat. More significant though, I haven't been healthy. I'm not worried so much about the weight and inches; I just want to know I'm eating right and getting exercise to create heathy habits for life. I hope these mini challenges each week will keep my focus and help me get back on track and on a routine!