WW or Calories In, Calories Out?!

Options
Did you find success in calorie counting or WW? Which program do you prefer and why?

Replies

• RichieBlasco
    RichieBlasco Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What is WW?
    Calories are just one component of a bigger picture. It's like saying "driving slower will make you a safer driver." It's "not wrong" but there's a deeper story around being a reliably safe driver.

If you are strictly just counting calories, with no regard for nutrient density, hormonal responses, inflammatory foods, keeping your metabolism guessing, etc. etc. you probably won't do well. Some people get lucky. And of course I'm not saying you have to know EVERYTHING immediately to make progress, but you need to begin knowing that the story gets detailed, and learn what you can when you can.
  • Bodyinbalance
    Bodyinbalance Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I like counting calories, once you get used to what calories are in your favourite foods it's pretty easy. I like the fact that i can have whatever I fancy. it works for my kind of emotional eating, in the past if I ate one chocolate I would feel guilty and eat with wild abandon the rest of the day, making bad food choices! Now I just think well that is 60 calories off my daily allowance so it's made me choose healthier food the rest of the time. I like greens (broccoli, spinach, asparagus, cabbage, courgette) a lot and you can have a whole lot of those! I also really like salad so make big salads and just add a dessert spoon of a really good olive oil and some apple cider vinegar. Also I was amazed to see how low in calories ham was for eg in comparison to a lamb chop! And I love the way the next day it all resets and I have 1200 cals to work with again! I find it fun. I have had great success with low carb in the past but it doesn't work for me anymore, I am not sure why, maybe it's hormonal but I just don't like it or feel good on it. Sorry haven't actually spoken about WW here I realise. I have done that in the past as well and it didn't work for me but can see how it does for others.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    it all comes back to how many calories you consume and staying within a deficit from your maintenance calories (MFP method). the real question is, will you have long term success with "insert diet plan here" . I don't see a point system as something that is sustainable for me or any diet that puts restrictions on what you can eat, LIKE KETO or CARNIVORE, VEGAN ETC..
  • searchgal1
    searchgal1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had success in the past with WW, but when they switched to zero point foods, I ran into trouble - it stopped working for me. I need the discipline of counting calories, and didn't learn that until I went on noom, which is calorie counting plus more. Noom expired, so now I'm using MFP to monitor my calories throughout the day. I try to plan ahead, so if I know that dinner out is coming up, lunch needs to be light that day. I've lost 20 lbs in about 6 months, so counting everything clearly works!
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would start with CICO,it's free(buy a food scale).. Actually,I would get a complete checkup at the Dr. 1st,to make sure that you don't have any hormonal or blood issues.
    I didn't know for YEARS that I had Pcos,so my eating plan has to reflect that or,I'll struggle more than necessary.

Build muscle..I lose weight fast,now that I've found my groove,but when I build muscle,I look better in clostes and I don't regain as fast,when I'm slipping up.

As far as WW,I think that it's a good program for accountability,to have people to share in your journey. My friends and family aren't interested is discuss ing anything health related,so I found it good for that...I had a Saturday routine..We weigh in,gym,shop for healthy food,then meal prep...As far as the 'zero foods',they are counted in the 'total',some people just try to take advantage and wonder,why the scale won't move...It was suggested to eat a serving or 2,of the Zero foods,not gorge...If I were a binge eater,I wouldn't do WW.. because I might take advantage of how the program works.

Lastly,try different approaches to see what works for YOU! You will get very different answers on here.

I lost MOST of my weight on Keto, before Keto was a thing..it helped with my migraines and was recommended for my PCOS,but I can't eat that way everyday..Not because I don't think it's healthy,but because I don't like meat that much...So,find YOUR balance,and good luck!??
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using both because I'm trying to get a handle on portion control and recognizing hunger signals. I'm enjoying the new WW because the focus is more on altering how I view food and its place in my life. It's true, CICO is basic science. But for me, I need to learn more than just counting calories. I need to be educated enough to make good choices when I can't log and stop the love/hate relationship with food.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    WW runs on the same principle as calorie counting does on MFP. I did WW in the early 2000's before MFP was around. I left just after they introduced the zero points food which I thought was a bit stupid. It was just a marketing ploy, in my opinion, to get us all to buy new books etc and I didn't want to continue as I had already learnt enough to carry on without paying to be a member. It was useful though as it taught me a lot about healthy food and was the best support I could find before MFP came around. Once MFP was created I joined and applied what I learnt in WW (about choosing a balanced diet etc) but the counting is the same only MFP uses calories directly. WW uses points but they are just calories that have been given points. I've found success in both to answer your question.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,317 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I've had success with both. I did very well with WW at first and there were a things I did like about it, but I could almost exactly echo TeaBea's comments. I hated that it was all about selling stuff, and in the end I quit because as they changed the program they demonized sugar and fat. I felt like I was punished for eating any dessert. I find calorie counting far more sustainable for me, because I don't have to almost entirely cut out the things I love.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I'm currently using both because I'm trying to get a handle on portion control and recognizing hunger signals. I'm enjoying the new WW because the focus is more on altering how I view food and its place in my life. It's true, CICO is basic science. But for me, I need to learn more than just counting calories. I need to be educated enough to make good choices when I can't log and stop the love/hate relationship with food.

WW "education" changes every few years though. They need to keep the program fresh to sell the product (again and again). Unfortunately it's marketing driven, not science driven.

Oprah's "I can even eat bread".....well duh. The problem I have with the current plan is foods are demonized. I can have chocolate (or bread) everyday, but I have to pay much more for that in points than the calories are worth. I shouldn't have to under eat (calorie wise) to include a piece of chocolate in my diet.

Don't get me wrong, the weigh-ins and support do help some people.

Exactly this. If WW is so effective, why the heck do they keep changing it?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!