Healthy vegan snacks?

Options
Hi everyone! I’ve nearly finished my first week on here and am feeling pretty good, however, I find that I’m getting peckish between meals. Anyone know of any low-calorie vegan snacks that I could munch on in the day? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Fruits. Vegetables. Small amounts of nuts or seeds. Vegan bread or toast with nut-butter spread, with a glass of nondairy milk if your calories allow. Hummus and veggies or pita chips (check the ingredients of whatever brand you buy, or make your own). Toasted seeweed snacks. Smaller amounts of whatever you like to eat for meals.

You're going to need to define "low calorie" to get more specific advice about quantities.
  • samanthaharri18
    samanthaharri18 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you! What I mean by “low calorie” is, for example, I’ve been having some almonds (just a handful) but they obviously have high fat in them and was concerned that I’d be consuming more calories with these 😖
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    There are some popcorn snacks out there with no butter. Although they have coconut oil, it's minimal, and you feel like you're eating a lot. It's also whole grain. I think the ones by Lesser Evil are decent tasting (they're Paleo so they should be dairy free).
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you need a sweet treat, I enjoy (Sunrise) almond dessert tofu as a little pick me up... pre-portioned 100 calories and costs less than $1 per serving.

If I'm at home I make my own kale chips: lots of kale, 1 tsp olive oil, sometimes 1 tbsp tahini, nutritional yeast, slight bit of salt. Cook low and slow. You can make a good volume to crunch crunch crunch.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Also.... maybe a soup or broth if that's your thing? Or you can make chia pudding pretty low-cal: 2 tbsp chia, about 1 cup nut milk, and whatever flavour you like (vanilla and cinnamon for me) I also usually add maybe 50grams of fruit in, for my breakfast.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    The SimplyProtein brand's original bars are good. As is most anything from Vega.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Home made popcorn - you can pop it I a pan (with lid!) without any oil. Then just add sea salt and paprika. Delicious.

Crudites: carrot, cucumber, red bell pepper and celery sticks, baby corns and raw sugar snaps. If you need more calories the snack, add some vegan guacamole or humous to dip them in.

Nakd bars are good. Just dates, nuts, dried fruit and natural flavourings. they are delicious. Maybe quite high in fruit sugars but really good if you are very hungry or craving sugar and need a healthy boost at not too many calories (about 140 cals)

If you like seaweed, the Itsu nori thins are delicious and only 22 calories a packet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Dry-roasted soybeans (somewhat caloric, but much better protein than nuts), crispy chickpeas or broadbeans, lupini beans, pickles of many sorts, sauerkraut, kim chi (get a vegan brand, without fish sauce), puppodums.
  • anyplants_losingit
    Options
    I agree with @cherys - best way to keep it low calories would be raw veggies that you can have with some chickpea/lentil hummus or even peanut butter.
    You can also make some rolls using green leaves and maybe some hot sauce.

Peanut or almond butter are higher in calories but really healthy and you can combine them with berries that are lower in calories - you can try sunbutter too!

A god alternative is also roasting some chickpeas in the oven and adding spices so you get some protein too.

If you feel like something sweet, you can mash a banana and add some cocoa powder with no added sugar.

I usually have fruit as a snack, and like to keep it home-made, so avoiding bars and premade snacks, but they are clearly super handy if you are in a hurry,
    You can make your energy balls combining dates, seeds and nuts in a food processor too!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Below are all under 100 cals (depending on portion size)...

Strawberries & Black Pepper
    Cucumber with lemon juice & black pepper
    Celery/Carrots stick & Hummus
    Pickles
    Oat Biscuits (Mash up a banana with some oats and a little golden syrup bake on medium heat for about 20 mins)
    Vegan protein bar
    Protein Muffins
    Fruit & Dairy Free Yoghurt
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Spiced roasted chickpeas are so delicious and snacks great
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Thank you! What I mean by “low calorie” is, for example, I’ve been having some almonds (just a handful) but they obviously have high fat in them and was concerned that I’d be consuming more calories with these 😖

What I meant by defining low calorie was telling us how many calories you can allot to a snack. Some people are looking for under 100 cals, which is going to be about half an ounce of almonds (i.e., much less than most people's handful). If you can afford 200 to 300 cals, you might be able to have a small handful, if your hand is actually small.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Nuts are delicious, but logging them on here was a real eye opener. One Brazil nut is 30 calories. So only three nuts is a snack quota. If you actually feel hungry, it might be better to have the bulk of raw veg sticks or home popped corn.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don’t know if this counts as a snack, but I recently made a small side salad of shredded cabbage, and the dressing was a mixture of small amounts of sesame oil, ponzu sauce, soy sauce, and lemon juice, plus sesame seeds. Nice and crunchy, hardly any calories.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I don’t know if this counts as a snack, but I recently made a small side salad of shredded cabbage, and the dressing was a mixture of small amounts of sesame oil, ponzu sauce, soy sauce, and lemon juice, plus sesame seeds. Nice and crunchy, hardly any calories.

That sounds tasty, and would be a good snack, but I'd point out that OP should be careful about Ponzu. It's common for it to contain something like bonito flakes, so not be vegan.
    cherys wrote: »
    Nuts are delicious, but logging them on here was a real eye opener. One Brazil nut is 30 calories. So only three nuts is a snack quota. If you actually feel hungry, it might be better to have the bulk of raw veg sticks or home popped corn.

That might be a good thing. It's actually possible - quite easily - to exceed the USDA tolerable upper limit for selenium by regularly eating quite modest amounts of brazil nuts, which are high in it. (Tolerable upper limit is where recurring consumption at that level would be risky.)

Selenium RDA for adults is 55mcg (slightly higher if pregnant or lactating). Tolerable upper limit for adults is 400mcg. One brazil nut typically has something in the range of 68-91mcg.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Selenium-HealthProfessional/

I think this is sad, because I love brazil nuts. :(
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    I like the poppadoms sold for deep frying at home. They crisp up 1 minute in the microwave. I dip in yoghurt spiked with mango chutney but I am sure there are vegan alternatives for the yoghurt.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That sounds tasty, and would be a good snack, but I'd point out that OP should be careful about Ponzu. It's common for it to contain something like bonito flakes, so not be vegan.

Oh that’s wild! I checked, yes my Kikkoman Ponzu sauce does have bonito extract, so it’s not vegan. My bad! Didn’t know. Could just leave that out. Soy sauce adds plenty of flavor without it.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Oh that’s wild! I checked, yes my Kikkoman Ponzu sauce does have bonito extract, so it’s not vegan. My bad! Didn’t know. Could just leave that out. Soy sauce adds plenty of flavor without it.

The other ingredients tend to be rice wine, rice vinegar, seaweed and yuzu. Any of those could be added individually. (I think the yuzu and vinegar would be especially good, but the lemon juice you're using might cover that part of the flavor profile.)

There might be vegan equivalents commercially, but making one's own would be easy. :)
  • rscp11
    rscp11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really like "Opadipity" yoghurt/dill dip. I get 1/2 c. of baby carrots and dip them once per carrot. They take awhile to chew, so it helps me when I'm in my "munchies" mood.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rscp11 wrote: »
    I really like "Opadipity" yoghurt/dill dip. I get 1/2 c. of baby carrots and dip them once per carrot. They take awhile to chew, so it helps me when I'm in my "munchies" mood.

OP is vegan, so yogurt is off the menu unless it's non-dairy (this dip is made with regular yogurt).