Western diet and brain function

Replies

• Heidbummer
    Heidbummer Posts: 19 Member
    Would not surprise me.

Also from the Guardian a couple of days ago, did you see this?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/feb/13/how-ultra-processed-food-took-over-your-shopping-basket-brazil-carlos-monteiro

TL:DR Even low fat, low carb "healthy" food probably isn't that good for you it if it has an additional dose of emulsifiers, artificial sweetners, preservatives and flavour enhancers mixed in with it, for reasons which aren't entirely clear. Although I'm sure I've heard Michael Moseley say it is because it really messes with your gut microbiome. Which is unfortunate because it is cheap, tasty and convenient.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The problem with these scare articles is they do not consider food in moderation they just label it "Western" or "Standard American" and then lead people to assume that if they are in this region they are poisoning themselves.

In reality I know of very few people that eat this way. Most people I know at least have a basic understanding that they need to include some things like vegetables and fruit in their diets and limit the food that has a less desirable nutrient to calorie ratio.

So to me the moral of the story is that you should not eat like an unsupervised teen too often and you will be fine.

I would disagree, because if you look at statistics, over half of people following a western diet are either obese or overweight. I've met many grown adults with 0 concept of health. I personally can easily stick to 1 apple, but a bag of my favorite cookies? Not so much. The issue become more obvious to me after travelling europe. No obese people! The average person was in a healthy weight range. It was seriously mind blowing. The difference? Almost no fast food chains, stores not filled with sugar soaked everything! There's a huge difference in whats on offer, and the results are obvious
  • jenncornelsen
    The problem with these scare articles is they do not consider food in moderation they just label it "Western" or "Standard American" and then lead people to assume that if they are in this region they are poisoning themselves.

In reality I know of very few people that eat this way. Most people I know at least have a basic understanding that they need to include some things like vegetables and fruit in their diets and limit the food that has a less desirable nutrient to calorie ratio.

So to me the moral of the story is that you should not eat like an unsupervised teen too often and you will be fine.

I would disagree, because if you look at statistics, over half of people following a western diet are either obese or overweight. I've met many grown adults with 0 concept of health. I personally can easily stick to 1 apple, but a bag of my favorite cookies? Not so much. The issue become more obvious to me after travelling europe. No obese people! The average person was in a healthy weight range. It was seriously mind blowing. The difference? Almost no fast food chains, stores not filled with sugar soaked everything! There's a huge difference in whats on offer, and the results are obvious

Did you seriously say there are no fat Europeans? :noway:

If were going to nitpick, the percentage was so much lower in comparison my brain did not note it.
  • jenncornelsen

Have you ever been to Paris? Bakeries and sweets are on every corner and where cookies, sweet breads, and croissants are pretty common for breakfast if you're a breakfast person. It's less about specific types of food and more about eating culture.

Yes I have, and I can agree with that perspective!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    :lol:

Ann FTW.

That's right, they sell us what we buy.

I always say, no one is forcing food and drink into my body. My hand, my mouth.

Actually, something could be forcing stuff into your body. Below is a really interesting book. And let's not forget about brain controlling cat parasites. My point is, to reduce everything to personal control is to ignore a lot of brain science that says otherwise.

This Is Your Brain on Parasites: How Tiny Creatures Manipulate Our Behavior and Shape Society

The thing is, I know from experience that I can choose what (and how much) I want to eat. Other people report the same experience.

I'm not saying there may not be some people who genuinely lack the ability to control their actions. But there's a good sized chunk of people who can control what they eat, so I'm dubious about the whole "parasites made me eat it" hypothesis.